Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Deodorant
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Molly229

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
What is the least toxic deodorant out there?
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
This is a quote from carekate on the household tips thread on the lounge board:

" For the last 80-something years, my (95-year-old) grandmother has used baking soda in lieu of deodorant to keep her armpits fresh and dry!"

That's about as non-toxic as you can get! And cheap- worth a shot. (I'd try it when you can stay at home all day in case it doesn't work. It would suck to get stuck out and stinky Laughing )
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using natural crystal deoderants for years and last year Henri Bernard came out with a spray version which I love. I used to have to wet the solid and then use it. Kind of messy! It's 100% natural and a bottle will last for months. Great protection too! I can find it just about anywhere, even in the supermarket.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I have the stone, which I wet and rub under my arms each morning, but now that the weather is getting warmer (in Canada), I find I'm perspiring and I hate that wet feeling. A spray version would be nice, but, I am wondering how they made it into a spray without chemicals?

How do you apply the baking soda?? A sponge or damp cloth? I will have to try that at home.
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
i've been using terressentials roll-on deodorant for the last month or so...i've been very impressed with it thus far. while it doesn't keep strenuous exercise stink away, but on a daily basis it's been quite good.

you can check out all the ingredients on terressentials' website.

i got it in unscented, but they do have a variety of scents. i believe the core of the formulation is in the clay minerals.
china_pearl
5% products discount

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
I like LUSH's Aromacreme... It's the only natural deodorant that works for me (I'm very stinky.... Embarassed )
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
I've used deodorants by lavera, weleda and aubrey organics. They are all 100% natural. None are as effective as conventional deodorant but I think lavera keeps me drier because it's a powder.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Molly229, I found this link a while back.
http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/
you can search most products and it will tell you the concern level.
It is by environmental working group; hence I do not think it is affiliated to any particular company/brand.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I'm actually Alba Clear Enzyme Deodorant Stick (available at Health Food stores). I find it to be very gentle and doesn't leave marks on your clothes.
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I like Vichy.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Vichy makes deodorant?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:04 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone used Urtekram deodorant?

http://www.urtekram.dk/docs/indhold/default.asp?side_id=92
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Tom's Of Maine deoderant stick for the past 2 years now, I love the Calendula scented one.
Before that I used one of those mineral rocks, I think it was purchased from Neal's Yard, I still have it, they last forever, you just wet and rub under your armpit.
I think they have turned the rocks into a liquid spray version, I saw the little bottles last time I was in Boots.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I've been using Trader Joe's unscented deodorant with cotton.

It worked great all winter... now that the weather is heating up, I don't know if it will cut it, but I sweat A LOT.

Before I discovered the Trader Joe's one, I was using the Adidas fresh scent w/ cotton.

I don't know how much better these are than other products, but at least they don't have aluminum.
lhsis1

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
I had a problem with this for months. I didn't like the crystal, Tom's of Maine, and a few other kinds I tried. I tried a spray I made myself (using various essential oils and witch hazel) which worked OK, but I still smelled by the end of the day. Confused

Finally, I tried just using a smear of lotion with baking soda mixed in, and it is amazing! It doesn't matter what kind of lotion I use - I still smell like the lotion at the end of the day, not like sweat! Very Happy I use body lotions, scented lotions, hand lotions, etc. - whatever scent I want that day. It may take a few days to figure out the perfect amount of baking soda to lotion. I add just enough so the baking soda will mix into my skin and not flake off. I haven't tried this with tank tops yet, so I don't know how it works with leaving marks, but I don't think it would be any worse than regular deodorant.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
That sounds like a great tip. Do you still sweat alot with the lotion/baking soda mix? I worry about my armpits being kind of slimy/gritty if I start to sweat. (Sorry, kind of gross).
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
i know drugstore deodorants are bad for you becuase it has antipersperant... but how bad is it?

because i LOVE the scents they offer!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
tularyn wrote:
Do you still sweat alot with the lotion/baking soda mix? I worry about my armpits being kind of slimy/gritty if I start to sweat. (Sorry, kind of gross).

I usually sweat, but I find the baking soda absorbs well and I don't feel slimy or gritty. If you use too much, it can be gritty putting on, so watch out for that! My armpit felt raw one night when I put too much on. The lotion helps the baking soda absorb I think, then the lotion is absorbed by the skin leaving a layer of baking soda which seems to soak up the perspiration. At least that's what it seems like to me!

I am really amazed that something this easy works so well - when I am hot and feel like I should be sweaty, I'm not, and I don't ever smell at night. Usually I still smell fine the next morning, as well. This was NEVER the case when I used anti-perspirant or deodorants.

Oh, and about anti-perspirant. There's not really any proof, but I've heard various things about the chemicals in anti-perspirants being linked to breast cancer. Considering how close your armpits are to your breasts, lymph nodes, etc., putting something laden with chemicals that will be quickly absorbed into your body didn't seem like a good idea to me, especially since I'm breast-feeding my baby.

I was almost about to give up and go back to the chemicals before I found the baking soda/lotion trick!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I've used the crystal type deodorant. It wasn't bad...wasn't great either. I did prefer the roll on formula to the rock that you had to wet and rub on yourself.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
I would say Dr Hauschka is one of the most natural options, completely free of parabens and synthetic fragrance. Theirs come in a roll on deodorant in either Fresh or Floral fragrance options. It is not an anti persperant, but it does contain essential oils that act in an anti bacterial way.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
lhsis1 what a great idea!!
I am going to try Baking Soda Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the Crystal roll on deodorant for years and I love it.

I used to use baking soda and water but eventually it dried my skin out and made it sensitive after a while but I love the idea of mixing it with lotion. That's great.

Also, I've read that putting pure extra virgin coconut oil under your arms works as a great antiperspirant. I haven't tried this yet though as it's not been hot enough to need it. Very Happy
valerianroots
5% products discount

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I use the solid deoderants by LUSH. No parabens and no metal compounds. A piece small enough to fit in your closed fist will last months.

The sales assistant explained to me that their deopderants don't block your perspiration, but allows you to sweat whilst making the sweat smell nicer.

From their website:

Lush deodorants work by neutralising the bacteria that cause the body to pong. They are not anti-perspirants; we think that it's not a very good idea to stop the body perspiring if it wants to, as this is one of the natural ways that we regulate the body's temperature. We like the idea of absorbing moisture and odours with baking soda and using essential oils to control microbes and perfume your armpits naturally. Free your pits from the tyranny of anti-perspirants. Buy them a Lush deodorant.
china_pearl
5% products discount

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
I just got this stuff called Lavilin, a deodorant cream that claims to last up to 7 days without having to reapply!!! Shock

I tried it out today, and it works (at least the anti-stinky part)!!!!! Cool

I sweat a lot, and I get stinky armpits whenever I sweat. Before I got this deodorant cream, LUSH's Aromacreme was the only natural deodorant that worked for me, and sometimes I would still be stinky.

I had a dance rehearsal today and with Lavilin, I still smelled decent at the end of the rehearsal!!! Very Happy

And here are the ingredients of this stuff:
Petrolatum, Talc, Zinc Oxide, Potato Starch (Modified), Ethylhexylglycerin, Triethyl Citrate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Glycine Soja & Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract & Tocopherol, Glycine Soja & Arnica Montana Flower Extract & Tocopherol, BHT, Chlorphenesin, Tetrasodium EDTA (Tetrasodium Edetate Dihydrate), Fragrance, o-Cymen-5-ol (Isopropyl Methylphenol).
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't know that Lush makes deodorant.. does it smell nice? Embarassed

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |