Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
waking up in the middle of the night
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:20 am      Reply with quote
It's driving me insane! I have been waking up in the middle of the night for over the past week and have had trouble getting back to sleep. I seem to always wake up at the same time (between quarter to four and four am - without fail in that time frame) and then I lie there for two hours trying to get back to sleep. At that stage I feel completely wide awake - not groggy at all. Of course, when it's time to wake up I'm exhausted. This keeps happening regardless of how late/early I go to sleep. I have tried relaxing baths, chi machine (use this regularly), hot chocoloate, chamomile tea, muscle relaxants (yes, I know...).

I don't know how to deal with this. I can fall asleep fine when I first go to sleep - so that is not the issue. I heard that 3am is when your system is at its weakest (something along those lines) but I'm just not sure what to do about it. I have had this happen before (seems to be whan I was stressed but things aren't that bad at work now) but have always been able to tweak things and correct the problem quickly. Doesn't seem to be working this time.... Sad

Any suggestions before I flip out from sleep deprivation? Pray Pray Pray

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:51 am      Reply with quote
I've had bouts of the same thing before. What worked for me is to wait for the weekend when I can afford to be exhausted all day. When I wake up at 3am, I get up and start doing projects that I otherwise dread, like polishing french doors, washing windows, hanging new window treatments, etc. When you want to drop, like late afternoon, do whatever you can NOT TO NAP. By 9pm, you'll be ready to crash and will hopefully last the night through. Might take 2 "project days," like a Saturday and a Sunday. HTH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:12 am      Reply with quote
could you be waking up due to getting overheated or some light or noise? I find my eye mask helps me sleep through... so does lavender oil... you could also try soft ear plugs...
Mabsy

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:24 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your replies. LandB - I've considered doing what you're suggesting. I haven't yet tried this as I cringe at actually getting up at 4am and starting doing housework Laughing I guess it's not as bed as lying in bed and not being about to get to sleep. If all else fails this week then I will do this on the weekend.

Tiger_tim - The house is pretty quiet all night, and my room is totally still when I wake up. I wonder if you're onto something with the temperature though.... I don't feel overheated when I wake up but a few weeks back the weather cooled down and it's warmed back up again. I have tried a variation of the lavender oil - Badger Balm Sleep Balm Smile I'm guessing that would have lavender in it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:28 am      Reply with quote
Just wondering what direction is your head facing at night?
I have been reading 'Feng Shui for idiots' and there is an interesting section on sleeping and how sleeping with your head in certain directions can prevent a good nights sleep.
It is all related to the year you were born, if you PM me with the year you were born in I can look up your most favourable directions, it might be worth a shot Wink

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:33 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Just wondering what direction is your head facing at night?
I have been reading 'Feng Shui for idiots' and there is an interesting section on sleeping and how sleeping with your head in certain directions can prevent a good nights sleep.
It is all related to the year you were born, if you PM me with the year you were born in I can look up your most favourable directions, it might be worth a shot Wink

At this stage I'm willing to try most things Smile PMing you shortly. I can't remember if I consistently wake up with my head facing in a particular direction. I am positive that the last two nights I woke up sleeping on my right side.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:34 am      Reply with quote
OMG Feng Shui for idiots? i would buy that in a shot! Laughing

Mabsy, we put pure oil directly onto our wrists and behind the ears at night. I seem to sleep like a baby without waking when I use it.
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Mentally running through checklist -Not eating too late or drinking, you're more likely to have a restless night before your peroid.

I swear by melatonin if I want a rock solid nights sleep.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Laughing This is the book, I am up to the part where each room has be measured so am temperarily on a break......now the compass part I can handle!!
It is really easy to follow:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592573444/qid=1144158474/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_3_6/203-7531662-5456715

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:25 am      Reply with quote
I have this problem too. Unfortunately, on the rare occasions I seem likely to be able to sleep through, I get awoken by a retching cat on my pillow! (You'd be surprised at how fast it's possible to go from deep sleep to leaping out of bed when that happens.) Shock
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy: This happened to me in my 30s. Almost once a month I suffered this "wake up in the mid of night" thing and lasted for about 3 to 5 days. It's not during my period or, new moon, or full moon, or....... very random. And I would fall asleep right before my alarm clock went off. Sorry I don't have a suggestion for you but check if your diet changed. I think STRESS plays a big role.

For those of you who are interested in Feng Shui. The very basic Feng Shui for bedroom are: Do not put your bed directly facing a door, the worse one is bathroom door and the door you exit from your bed room. Do not put your bed directly facing a window or have a widow right above your bed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy

I went through this a couple of years ago and my sister-in-law suggested Valerian root to me. I started taking it right away and although it took about 2 weeks to work, I slept soundly through the nite after that. I do still go back to it on occasion, when I find my sleep patterns getting erratic again. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Yes my MIL has had good results taking Valarian Root Capsules.
Piriton Allergy tablets always succeed in knocking me out:

http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/p/piriton/piriton_tablets.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried something OTC like benadryl before you go to bed??? It may help you relax a bit.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:09 am      Reply with quote
Thank you again. Woke up at 3:50am this time around.... I think I might try melatonin or valerian. I was thinking that the muscle relaxants should help (they generally make people sleepy and relax them) but they don't seem to be doing much.

Chrissie - the Benadryl range in Australia is different to the one in the states (they only make cough syrup here) but this was my motivation behind taking the muscle relaxants.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mabsy - I agree with MACrisis that stress can play a big role. I've had phases in my life when this waking-thing has happened. Most of the time I was under some kind of stress, although not always. When I'd wake up, I'd let my mind race too much and then I could never get back to sleep. If my own life wasn't particularly stressful at the time, I'd find myself waking up and dwelling on some news story that I read. Anyway, one thing that helped me was making sure I was getting a little bit of exercise in during the day. Even a walk would help. Maybe it helped to release the tension that I never knew I had. Hope you find yourself sleeping better soon!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:44 am      Reply with quote
Mammamia wrote:
Anyway, one thing that helped me was making sure I was getting a little bit of exercise in during the day. Even a walk would help. Maybe it helped to release the tension that I never knew I had. Hope you find yourself sleeping better soon!

Damn... I was hoping nobody would mention exercise (of which I do.... none) Laughing You do have a good point though. Maybe I should try going for a walk tomorrow after work.... How bad can it be.... Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:55 am      Reply with quote
I can give good advice...however, taking my own good advice can be a problem sometimes... Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Ah yes, I can totally sympathise with this Mabsy, I was doing the same thing at the end of last year. Not really sure what it was about but I got some herbal sleeping tablets called "restful sleep" from Thompsons or Blackmores or something, I'm pretty sure they were from a health food shop anyway. It says to take 1-2 tablets 1 hour before bed, so I took 2 and boy I slept. But weirdly I didn't remember any of my dreams, and I always remember my dreams. I stopped waking up after a couple of weeks and stopped taking the tablets too, but I've still got some for emergencies.

Honestly, I'm not sure if they actually worked, or if they were just a placebo and I was doing all the work but I didn't care, I slept through the night!

Kiwigirl.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy:

How’s your physical condition now. Do you feel tired? Can you concentrate? 2004 summer after I came back from our summer vacation to the Orient, I can not sleep because of the time difference. I could only sleep 1 hour per day for about 10 days. For the 1st few days I stayed in bed and worried not getting enough sleep. But after few days I would get up and watch TV, read a book, cleanup, meditate ………….. Physically I felt ok, I was not tired and it did not affect my office work or driving either. My day was the same as before except I only got 1 hour sleep. I went to yoga 4 times a week as I always do. By the 11th day, my body could not take it any more. And I was knocked out at night………. After that everything went back to normal.

If you feel ok and alert, I don’t think you should worry too much.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:35 am      Reply with quote
Those tables sound good too Kiwigirl and I'm glad that they helped you when you were suffering from something similar. I really should get myself to a healthfood shop and buy one of these suggested things but work was hectic and I haven't been able to get out before the shops close. I'll have to wait till tomorrow afternoon to get something.

MAcrisis - I'm exhausted. I wake up in the morning and I already feel like I could go to bed. Not a good situation - I am definitely buying either melatonin, or valerian or something herbal for sleep tomorrow. Maybe I might even go for a walk... pill sounds much easier though Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:19 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
I have this problem too. Unfortunately, on the rare occasions I seem likely to be able to sleep through, I get awoken by a retching cat on my pillow! (You'd be surprised at how fast it's possible to go from deep sleep to leaping out of bed when that happens.) Shock
OMG, I thought my cats were the only ones who did that?! Fortunately for me, they have the decency to hang their heads over the side of the bed so they yark on the floor rather than my pillow, but still hearing them make that tell-tale sound is sure to have you bolting upright in bed from a dead sleep!!

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:38 am      Reply with quote
While I have wanted to get a Devon Rex for ages, and was planning on it when I (finally) buy a house, I think you two have just put me off that idea all together... Neutral

carekate wrote:
majorb wrote:
OMG, I thought my cats were the only ones who did that?! Fortunately for me, they have the decency to hang their heads over the side of the bed so they yark on the floor rather than my pillow, but still hearing them make that tell-tale sound is sure to have you bolting upright in bed from a dead sleep!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
While I have wanted to get a Devon Rex for ages, and was planning on it when I (finally) buy a house, I think you two have just put me off that idea all together... Neutral

carekate wrote:
majorb wrote:

Well...maybe fancy pedigreed cats have better manners?! Wink Very Happy Seriously, I wouldn’t trade my cats for anything, hairballs and all!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
I was experiencing a few weeks of restless and sleepless nights due to anxiety and stress. I started taking Melatonin and I have been easily able to not only fall asleep but sleep better through out the night. And I don't seem to feel groggy in the morning like I do if I take benedryl or muscle relaxants (I don't take these much at all... only when my teeth grinding is really bad and I wake up with awful jaw and head aches- come to think of it I haven't had to take my Rx muscle relaxant since I started taking Melatonin (which has been for 3 weeks now)).

Good luck with whatever you try Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |