Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
How long does vitamin c take to turn yellow w/ expose to air
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mermaid7000
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
I know this sounds like an odd question, but before I start using this vitamin c serum I made, I'm testing to see if this is real ascorbic acid that I bought from this store because I have my suspicions maybe it isnt. I have had it in a cup filled with half pure colorless aloe vera and some ascorbic acid powder for like a day and a half now completely exposed to air and everything else with no lid and it still hasn't turned the slightest yellow. Should it have turned by now or does it take a few days??
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mermaid,

Um ... does the Aloe Vera have a preservative in it? Mine does ... and any preservative, even the small amount in the aloe vera will extend the life of the l-ascorbic acid.

Why do you suspect that the crystals/powder you purchased isn't "real" ascorbic acid. Or do you doubt that it's not l-ascorbic acid?

I know of one woman who mixes her l-ascorbic acid with plain distilled water ... and it lasts her two weeks in amber glass sitting on her bathroom counter.

It may take several days for it to begin to turn colour ... but that's not what's important really. What's important is that within a very short time of air exposure, the l-ascorbic acid content begins to degrade.

If you begin with a 10% l-ascorbic acid serum ... after a day, you may only have, say a 5% l-ascorbic acid concentration ... because with exposure to air, the l-ascorbic acid becomes d-ascorbic acid.

Now, as an experiment, I put a few drops of my homemade 10% serum on one side of an apple cut in half. It took two or three days for the apple side with the serum to turn brown ... so I'd expect that sort of result with your experiment.

Also ... did the crystals/powder fully dissolve in the aloe vera? If not, you're not going to get the same result. The powder/crystals have to dissolve.

I don't know what you should expect from this experience ... nor do I quite understand why you selected that particular means of testing it.

Why not contact the manufacturer and ask?

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:36 am      Reply with quote
I'm assuming the crystals desolved because I shake my bottle every morning and when I put the drops into my hand and apply to face it feels watery not like gritty. So does that mean they disolved??

Are you saying that when you mix your vitamin c serums at home, your getting 10% the first day and only 5% the second day even when stored in a light resistant bottle??

The reason I did this was to determine if there is actually Ascorbic acid in the container I bought. I know they are a pretty reputable company but they sell their vitamins very cheap (not just the ascorbic acid crystals) so it just made me wonder. I know I'm just being paranoid, but I figure better know for sure before I keep applying this stuff to my skin because making my own is soooo much cheaper - like 100% cheaper than buying even the least expensive c serums and not knowing that they are full potency when you get them.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mermaid,

No ... if you have your Vitamin C serum in an amber glass bottle ... your concentration does not reduce to 5% within a day.

What that was illustrating was if you left it in the open air ... it would degrade much faster.

I also said that I know a woman who mixes her crystals with only distilled water ... and hers is effective for two weeks in an amber bottle just on her bathroom counter. It would last longer in the refrigerator.

The less water you have in your serum the more stable the vitamin C is ... but the l-ascorbic acid needs water to dissolve.

In your aloe vera gel, there is less water [although it's largely water itself] ... but most natural aloe vera gels have some kind of preservatives in them ... so that will also extend the life of the serum.

L-ascorbic acid crystals/powder is very cheap. I think my bottle costs about $2 ... and makes quite a few serums.

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary.

I should try the distilled water with C crystals. I wonder if it would be drying on the skin though. Well maybe I'll try that next time. My aloe vera gel actually doesnt come with any preservatives in it. It says no preservatives on the bottle but the company says its good for 10 years so guess I'm safe.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |