Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Phobias
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Now that spring is around the corner (at least just starting up north where I am), little critters are out and about and I will honestly admit, I am pretty freaked of some of them! Especially smaller dark brown critters like earwigs and cochroaches (not that we get cochroaches here, but I'm always spooked I'm going to see one).

My phobia started about 13 years ago when I visited an Eastern European country and the apartment my family and I stayed in wasn't the cleanest. Even though we cleaned and used bleach on everything, those cochroaches would still come out at night through the cracks in the ceiling and walk across the ceiling during the night. I never wanted to turn off the lights at night because I thought they might fall off the ceiling and into my bed and crawl all over me.

The apartment building would also shut off the water at all times of the day, so often when I'd go to turn the water on, no water would come out but these wretched creatures would.

The worst was using the washroom. The toilet was in a single small room (like a closet) with a dim light. I learned to hit the toilet paper roll before I would come in so any bugs would come out before I would sit down and have no where to run except out!

This still haunts me to this day. Anyone else have any phobias they'd like to share?
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Ooooooooooh, roaches are the WORST for me. Nothing else really bothers me, but I will run from roaches like they are death incarnate. I live in South Florida and those critters are everywhere!! We have had some bug issues on and off while we've been in this house and I have had 2 scary sleeping experiences. (I bet everyone will have a roach phobia after this. Sorry in advance!)
Once when I was younger, I woke up out of nowhere and realized that I had just felt something crawl across the back of my neck! I don't believe I found anything though. And the REALLY bad one (I'm cringing already) happened maybe a year ago or so. I woke up frantic because I had swiped a roach off of my FACE in my half-sleep! UUUUGGGGHHH!!! Shock I was SO disgusted and furious that I found it and smashed the HECK out of it!
That incident only compounded my aversion of the creepy little crawlies.
Oddly enough, I have no problem with spiders and lizards (I especially like lizards because they eat roaches!).
I can't think of any other serious phobias... please somebody list something ELSE! LOL.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
my phobia will be.... lizards.... or should I say any type of reptiles and amphibians. It is a mix feelings between disgust fear.
Ewwwwwwwwwww
sernx
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
This week has been the rainiest week in my life. I live in San Francisco and this kind of weather is unusual. Worst is that, when the ground is damp, all these worms come up! I have to avoid stepping on them. EW. Also, I saw the preview for the movie Slither. Definitely not watching it.

One of my biggest fear is that a bug is going to crawl up my ear when I'm asleep. A friend told me this happened to him when he was young and he had to go to the hospital because it crawled so up his ear and he can 'hear' it and it was causing the worst pains in his head because it was moving around in there. Mad yuk yuk yuk
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
spiders....even the little ones make me scream so hard I pee my pants!! Brick wall

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'm originally from S. FL too and trust me..cockroaches are abound everywhere!

Try this for a phobia...years ago when my son was in boyscouts we went with his troop camping. Being that I was Asst. Den Leader I got to go as well. Well the first night my son goes into the tent and gets into the sleeping bag and has his little Coleman lantern light on and about freaks out!! I run in and OMG there were about 100 daddy long leg spiders everywhere!! No Kidding! Well guess where I also had to sleep that night?? Yep in the same tent..mind you I was all zipped up and freaking out...it was the most awful, creepy freagin experience!! I didn't sleep at all, neither did my son. After 3 days we went home..early btw. Laughing Oh, did I mention the showers were outside WITH BUGS and there were magets in the toilet!!! Shock And to top this freagin BUG NIGHTMARE FROM HELL EXPERIENCE a HUGE water bug flew right into my face one night..with everyone around thinking I was a freak because they didn't see the damn bug and thought I just was a nut who goes around screaming at the top of their lungs. Sheesh! Phobia........naaa.. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
This thread got me thinking...have any of your seen the new version of "King Kong"? If so you'll remember the part when the MAN EATING BUGS come out of no where and attack everyone!!

My 14yo son and his friend got all creeped out-- I laughed because it was so unreal but at the same time really creepy..uuggh Exclamation

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes! Your stories are creeping me out...

My biggest phobia is swimming with fish. It makes it virtually impossible for me to go in the ocean, a lake or pretty much any body of water except for a swimming pool. Embarassed I know it's an irrational fear, but it scares me to death. When I was young I went to a Girl Scout camp where we had to flip over our canoes and prove that we could get them back upright, only the water was murky and no joke...there were water snakes under the water that were barely visible. They weren't dangerous, but they were terrifying. Ever since, I've had a hard time with things in water.

Sernx - That's so funny about the worms. I live in Marin & almost couldn't leave work Monday because there were waterlogged earthworms all behind my back tires. Yuck.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, my #1 phobia is also swimming with the fish, too. If I can't see under my feet I ain't goin' in! I also get freakish about spiders lurking in those makeshift outdoorsy port-o-potties, and flying.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
You need to go to the carribean and swim with the fishes. Honestly, they're small fish, you can see everything for many meters in front of you. I found snorkelling with the fish in Cozumel one of the most amazing experiences. It was so beautiful. No scary fish there. Very Happy

pnw wrote:
Yes, my #1 phobia is also swimming with the fish, too. If I can't see under my feet I ain't goin' in! I also get freakish about spiders lurking in those makeshift outdoorsy port-o-potties, and flying.

I also am scared of outhouses and portapotties. I dunno if it's the smell, germs or what...but if nobody's around and it's a #1 I go behind a bush.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
I am scared of any kind of rodents or anything that looks like one!

Also, I have really hated the sun all of my life. I don't like to go outdoors during the daytime and only do so when I absolutely have to.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
phredd4 wrote:

Also, I have really hated the sun all of my life. I don't like to go outdoors during the daytime and only do so when I absolutely have to.

Scared of rodents? My chinchillas are so sad to hear that...
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=chinchilla&start=25

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Sufficee to say whilst I hate any bugs (grassphoppers, praying mantis etc.), I go beserk with any roach. I could not even read the posts above about your "experiences".

Australians (especially Queenslanders) will also understand my paralyzing fear of huntsman spiders, which are not dangerous at all, but are as fast as a whip and can be the size of a saucer. ARGH
Mabsy

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:06 am      Reply with quote
marmur1 & pnw - I probably shouldn't tell you the story of when I went snorkling and the tour guides thought it'd be fun to tell me to go swim in their regular fish feeding area (at the time they were about to feed them...).

tiger_tim - I so hear you! Spiders, and in particular the huntsman, really are it for me (I still recall a certain unpleasant encounter while unloading a dishwasher that had been left open overnight). Together with the cockroaches. Grasshoppers are up there as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
My phobia is tornadoes. I lived in Oklahoma ("tornado alley") for a year or two when I was 4 and we had to go into the basement (or bathtub in one house w/out a basement) many times because of tornado warnings. So I've always had an intense fear of thunderstorms (because of the tornado thing). Everytime there's thunder, or a tornado or thunderstorm watch/warning I freak out and cannot relax until it's over. I've even been known to put towels in the bathtub or sit far away from windows in a bad storm "just in case". What a wimp! Rolling Eyes What am I going to do when I have kids? There gonna find mommy sitting in the bathtub every time it rains! Laughing
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
phredd4 wrote:

Scared of rodents? My chinchillas are so sad to hear that...
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=chinchilla&start=25

Sorry Lianne & chinchillas, but I can't help it! It's such a phobia that I was afraid to click on the link for fear of seeing a picture of one. Shock

It's weird, because snakes, lizards and the like don't bother me at all.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
phredd4 wrote:

Sorry Lianne & chinchillas, but I can't help it! It's such a phobia that I was afraid to click on the link for fear of seeing a picture of one. Shock

It's weird, because snakes, lizards and the like don't bother me at all.

It's alright. At least I know you won't be wearing any chinchilla fur coats Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Spiders... I can't even elaborate because I'm giving myself the willies just thinking about it... Just combine screaming, dropping things, cold sweat and running away and you're pertty close to my reaction.

Kiwigirl.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I'm terrified of the dark. I'm convinced there's ghosts, goblins, and psycho-killers hiding in it. I think it has something to do with my eyesight: I can't see an inch in front of my face if I'm not wearing my contacts, and if I am it's still not great. In the dark it's 100 times worse.

I leave a light on in my apartment if I think I won't be back until after dark.

And I have a flashlight on my keychain. lol.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm curious to see what the huntsman spider looks like. When my hubby and I moved into our new home we had our newlywed bed delivered and assembled. Well, the delivery guys left us a nice surprise - 3 HUMONGO! spiders unlike anything I've ever seen. Shock They could not possibly have been from the U.S.!! They had furry round bodies and very long-ass furry legs. In diameter they were definitely larger than tarantulas though the bodies were smaller. We killed them all and have been looking for pictures of them.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I can't walk barefoot in a hotel room, now matter how high-end or luxurious it is. I'm terrified of foot fungus... If I find myself barefoot for even a second, I'm bouncing on my tippy toes until I can find shoes! Rolling Eyes

I also sceeve bedspreads in hotel rooms... again no matter how nice the hotel. I'm not convinced that they put a clean comforter on the bed after the previous guest checks out. I have to tear the bedspread off even before I'll put my luggage on it. I guess this would be an irrational fear of the "cooties." Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
cloud_9 I always had a fear of thunderstorms and toronados...especially if hail is involved. I always thought this was weird since I lived in New York all my life...LOL. The one thing I hate are the HUGE roaches and flying waterbugs!!! The worst experience I had was opening up a mini fridge in a hotel and a whole hoarde of them came crawling out. YUCK - I don't even like stepping on them. Oh...and last night in the bath I found a spider floating in it with me...that was fun. Sad
marmur1
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you guys for sharing all of your phobias! I'm glad to know that others are also afraid of fish (and I will NEVER go in the water at feeding time...thanks Mabsy Wink ), and it's so interesting to read about everyone else's phobias.

Since our fears are all so different, it makes me wonder if these fears are just ingrained in each of us or if something happened to make us fear these things. A bit of both, I suppose.

Thanks again for sharing!

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:01 am      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
I'm curious to see what the huntsman spider looks like. When my hubby and I moved into our new home we had our newlywed bed delivered and assembled. Well, the delivery guys left us a nice surprise - 3 HUMONGO! spiders unlike anything I've ever seen. Shock They could not possibly have been from the U.S.!! They had furry round bodies and very long-ass furry legs. In diameter they were definitely larger than tarantulas though the bodies were smaller. We killed them all and have been looking for pictures of them.

Huntsmen can get pretty big in leg span but their bodies are relatively small. Many of them are quite hairy but some are not. I'm not sure if there are different types of them. Here's (someone else's) pretty accurate picture of one: http://gallery.phuq.co.uk/albums/tweed-valley/IMG_0360.jpg

Your experience would have made me want to sleep in the car for a few days while the house/bed was fumigated just in case Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I can get quite clausrophobic. The idea of going exploring a cave fills me with dread and oh god those films where they are crawling through air vents or small tunnels Silenced Please don't ever let that be me[-o<
I would also much rather take the stairs than be stuck in a lift!

Ha Rodents!! Last year there was a supermarket being built down the hill and so all the rats were disturbed. We have decking in the garden and underneath was infested with rats!!!
At night you could hear them squeaking and if you stayed by the window long enough you would see one run past. This guy had to come 3 times to poisen them!! He told us the most effective way of killing them was to lure them out with chocolate and shoot them, needless to say the next day an air rifle had appeared!
We had to keep the cat indoors and be really careful with the dog.
But the worst was when the kitchen sink blocked up and can you guess what had gotten stuck trying to crawl up the pipes???......that's right a great big fat rat! Shock

Oddly enough I am not scared of rats, although there is no way I am going near the compost bin this summer!

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |