Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Home waxing kit recommendation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have a recommendation for a home waxing kit?

I just tried the Sally Hansen No-Heat Gel Rollo-On Hair Remover kit... and it didn't work Sad

The hair was, for the most part, still there.

I wonder if one of the kits you have to heat up would work better?

Does anyone have any recs? I am still going to go to the salon for my bikini and eyebrows, but I'd like to be able to do my lower legs myself.

Thanks!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried "sugaring"? I find that it's more gentle compared to waxing plus it's water soluble. I've been using the Andrea brand.
natsumi
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
I really like Surgi-Wax. I use the one for the face and it's easy and effective. It's a hard wax that comes in a little pot that you microwave, and you don't need to use cloth strips - just wait for the wax to become tacky then rip off. I noticed they stopped stocking it at my local drugstore so maybe it's being discontinued.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Yen--Sugaring is a great idea. I completely forgot that I used to have a recipe for making your own, I'll try to dig that up.

Natsumi--I'm intrigued by the Surgiwax--is it hard to remove the wax? Does it leave a big mess since there is no cloth involved?
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:05 am      Reply with quote
I've tried everything under the sun, and I think for the money, and ease of use Surgi-wax is the best. I does a good job of removing hairs. I've found that the private parts formula they have seems to work better. It's a green tinted wax, I don't know what they put in it. I does come with a little tube of oil you put on first. That seems to help keep the wax from sticky to your skin. When you wax at home, becareful of the wax temperture. It can get hot enough to burn you. I really hurts trying to pull wax off of blistered skin. I dip my pinky finger in the wax to check the temp first. Also, make sure you start with a clean face, or body area, and avoid touching it after. This helps to avoid infection.
natsumi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Tularyn,

I've never had a problem removing the wax. The instructions say to wait until the wax is tacky, but not to wait too long because once it hardens it will be difficult to remove. I haven't had that happen to me yet so can't comment on that. You spread on a thin layer, wait a little, flip up a little bit of wax on one end, then grab that bit and rip off. The face wax I use is yellow. I used to get threaded but just use the Surgiwax at home now - did a quick Google search and found sites that sell it.

Natsumi

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Nads?
Mabsy

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
TooInvolved wrote:
Nads?

I use that brand as well and have repurchased many times. From what I understand it's one of those "love it or hate it" products. For the record though, I don't agree that it heats up with your skin - I never got good results that way and I always microwave it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
TooInvolved wrote:
Nads?

I use that brand as well and have repurchased many times. From what I understand it's one of those "love it or hate it" products. For the record though, I don't agree that it heats up with your skin - I never got good results that way and I always microwave it.

Nads is similar to sugaring only I get better results with sugaring.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:14 am      Reply with quote
I think I agree with the comments about Nads. I used it only once. It was a tad too messy to me.
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:55 am      Reply with quote
i use one similar to the Surgi-Wax, It's Satin Smooth and a "Hard Wax"

i've tried sugars and waxes and creams...

the hard wax i like because you apply oil beforehand, which protects the skin, but it still GRABS those hairs and rips them them out Wink

it's given the best results i've gotten. it works on those tough hairs (you know the ones) but it's also gentle in that it doesn't cause any irritation.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
UPDATE:

So, I purchased some Surgiwax and I love it! It's a bit of trial and error... I think I use too much because it basically took almost a whole pot to do just one lower leg! And I ended up with wax all over the place... but it actually removed the hair and it didn't hurt and it didn't irritate my skin, so YAY!

(Tip: try as I might, when I did the first leg a few days ago my hands got so gunked up from the wax that I had a hard time finishing. So when I was at CVS picking up another jar of it, I bought some of those finger protectors like a dentist would use and put them on the thumb and pointer finger I was using to pull off the wax. Worked great, and I could replace them when they started to get gunked up.)

I was poking around on MUA and read some reviews that said the "Brazilian" (as opposed to "Regular") version of Surgiwax is even better and less messy, so maybe I'll try that next.

Even if it takes a whole pot per leg, that would still only be $10, so quite a savings off of having it done at the salon. And it hurts less. Sure, it takes more time, but I did it while watching TV and I actually kind of enjoy ripping the hair out in a weird way. Now I'm tempted to try my bikini, but I think that's just asking for trouble... I think I'll leave that to the professionals.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I have an epilator which I use in summer instead of waxing - it works really well even on finer hairs. But...ouch!!! The instructions say there may be some "mild discomfort which fades with consistent use". Yeah, right. I still find it really painful every time, the good thing being that it lasts just like waxing so you only need to do it every 6-8 weeks. I'm a huge wuss though, which is why I give it up and just shave in winter Embarassed .
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |