Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Praventin? I gotta try this.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone heard or tried of Praventin? When I ordered my hydraplenish from vitacost (btw, i got my order in 2 days!), they sent me some advertisements. Praventin caught my eye. It says that in clinical studies it reduced blemishes by 71% and by 95% the second month. Other visual results included reduced blemishes, decreased redness, and diminished oiliness (seen in two weeks). Whoa. Its only 20 bucks for a month supply too. Its a nutritional supplement you chew two tabs a day. Go to vitacost and do a search for praventin to read about it. Surely others have heard about it because we all order our hydraplenish? Please could I get some feedback as this looks pretty amazing to me. Does it work? Has anyone tried it?
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the Praventin supplements yet? I ordered them from VitaCost and have been taking them (1 tab.-2 X day) for about a week now. I have tried almost every vitamin/supplement on earth in my quest to prevent cystic acne spots that seem to eternally pop up here and there. I'm convinced that my acne comes from an internal problem, as I have tried every external "remedy" on the face of the earth and nothing has helped. I have even gone on 2 series of Accutane treatments in my life, which only helped temporarily, but then the acne re-emerged. :-/
I did an EDS search to see what worked for others, so I have tried: Vit. A (mega doses), B-Complex, zinc, flaxseed oil capsules, Omega-3 oil capsules, Evening Primrose Oil capsules, and digestive enzymes. So far, nothing is a "cure".
So . . . my next experiment has been the Praventin. Any tips or other suggestions?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Part II:
I forgot to mention: I drink LOTS of water and try to eat healthy foods--lots of fresh vegetables & fruits, etc.
Maybe some people are just "cursed" with a lifetime of acneic skin. (?)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Have you been tested for PCOS?
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
I asked my doctor (gyn.) about PCOS after reading about it here on EDS and researching it further on the Internet. She said I don't have it. She said if I did, I would have more facial hair. I asked for a hormone test to check my androgen & testosterone levels and she said there really isn't a hormone test that would help me out with my acne. (I don't know if that's true, or if my healthcare system is just being cheap!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
That really just sounds like slack on part of your doctor, esp a gyn who should be more aware of such problems..

Adult acne is one of the biggest signs of hormonal imbalance, which can be a sign of PCOS!! It is a really common disorder and you can be diagnosed with it even if you only have 1-2 symptoms.

Facial hair is only one of the less important symptoms of PCOS.

I would ask for a second opinion. Get a blood test done for hormonal levels, insulin levels etc.. At least you can find out if hormones are a cause of the problem.
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Wasn't this like my first post? I am still planning on trying this... I'm going to order it with my next Vitacost order. I don't really break out too often anymore, but sometimes I do around that time of the month or if I'm sweating too heavily from working out and don't take care of it quick enough. Also sometimes my skin gets oily and this stuff is supposed to cut down the oilies dramatically! Probably this week I'm going to order a month supply, so it's going to be awhile before I can report back with any results.. but I will once I know more.
I googled the main ingredient in this stuff, bovine Lactoferrin, and found another product containing it for acne. Here is the link if you'd like to have a look:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pfac/acne.html
The one from vitacost is not as strong so I think I'm just gonna try that once since I order from there anyway. Also, I don't know if you've heard, but wheat germ is supposed to be effective in clearing up acne and skin staying clear if taken internally. I eat about 2-3 teaspoons of it a day. It's very good for you in other aspects as well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your input! I've brought it up twice with my Gyn and she keeps talking about my not having facial hair, as if it were the main indicator of PCOS. I'll be more insistent now about getting tested. I'm so sick of the acne. It's not as bad now as it used to be (now I only have a couple of spots at any given time), but at my age (late 40's), I feel I shouldn't have to suffer any longer. And . . . the type of lesions I get these days always seem to leave a scar. I feel like I've "paid my dues" in this lifetime and I'm due a break. Mad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="PhoebesMeow"]Laughing Wasn't this like my first post?

Yes, I was "piggy-backing" on your posting. I noticed that no one had responded, and I was trying to generate a discussion on this topic. (I was hoping someone had tried these supplements by now.) Maybe we'll be the first to experiment with them. We can compare notes in a month or so.
BTW--thanks for the tip on wheat germ--that's one thing I haven't tried yet. Besides the things I've tried that I mentioned above, I forgot to include Vit E and Vit C. I now take a "fist-full" of vites/supps! Rolling Eyes Hopefully the wheat germ will help. Thanks again!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I too was curious about this Praventin. People from Acne.org have no clue about it either and I cannot find these clinical studies from PubMed.

I came across Praventin a while back by doing some googling of bovine lactoferrin. Besides the Acne Eraser and the NSI Praventin, I found these:

http://www.foodnavigator.com/news-by-product/news.asp?id=63506&idCat=28&k=milky-skin-dmv
http://www.purecaps.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=SAC1

I learned of lactoferrin from this guy's website, tells you of some other remedies for acne, including 400-500mg/day of Lactoferrin.

I don't know of anyone actually being successful with it, let alone, using it... so i'm skeptical. You can also try asking Dr. Weil MD.

http://www.drweil.com/u/Ask/
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
eSquire415 wrote:

I came across Praventin a while back by doing some googling of bovine lactoferrin. Besides the Acne Eraser and the NSI Praventin, I found these:

http://www.foodnavigator.com/news-by-product/news.asp?id=63506&idCat=28&k=milky-skin-dmv
http://www.purecaps.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=SAC1
http://www.drweil.com/u/Ask/

eSquire415,
Thanks for the links! It sounds promising!! I'm giving it a try and will report back in a few more weeks. Pray ["please, please, please work!]

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
eSquire415 wrote:
I learned of lactoferrin from this guy's website, tells you of some other remedies for acne, including 400-500mg/day of Lactoferrin.

Thanks I'm going to check out those links, but I'm disappointed to see the 400-500 mg recommendation of this since with the praventin its only 200 mg a day. But maybe that is enough to keep my skin clear since prevention is where I'm mostly at these days.
And Seeking~HG I also take a fistful of vitamins a day! 12 pills everyday! Yuck.. I take all my bottles out, line them up in front of 14 of those old film canisters containers and fill em up so I don't have to do it everyday. Its such a pain but thats what my mother has done for my whole life and she looks amazing for her age.
So yes, I'm going to order the Praventin this week and try it out, this thread will be back with the results!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Seeking~HG, I was curious about your Accutane courses. I've also been on twice (the most recent one ended this past December). After my first course I started breaking out again w/in 6 months. I had been on a very low dose - 40mg a day for the whole time (5 months). My new derm said that the reason my results didn't last was due to the low dosage. He started me on 60mg, then went up to 80mg, then up to 100mg (and I sort of bumped myself up to 120mg for the last 2 months). I was on those high doses for a total of 6 months. (Oddly enough, my body tolerated it extremely well!)
So far so good. Some of the oiliness is back, but nowhere near to the extent that I had it before. I get one little pimple every now and again, but they are tiny and clear up within a day or two. I am hoping that things will stay this way.
What kind of a dose were you on for your two courses?
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Nymue:
Quote:
Seeking~HG, I was curious about your Accutane courses . . . What kind of a dose were you on for your two courses?

Nymue,
To be honest, I really can't remember that much about it. It was so many years ago--back in the "olden days" when they called it "Accutane" (isn't it called "Roaccutane" now?). They didn't even do blood work regularly for me like they do now for people who are taking it. I hope I don't end up with liver damage! My last course was sometime prior to 1986. All I can remember is that both times I went on the highest dose recommended at the time and I used it for the longest time span recommended (I don't remember how many months it was, but it seemed to go on forever!). I remember suffering with dry, itchy skin, dry, cracked lips, and dried-out eyes. The effects lasted a while, but the acne came back over time. My derm told me that a small percentage of people do not get permanent relief from the drug. Unfortunately, I guess I'm one of those "chosen few." Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Seeking~HG wrote:
My derm told me that a small percentage of people do not get permanent relief from the drug. Unfortunately, I guess I'm one of those "chosen few." Sad

i can pretty much ditto everything you said. i, too, am one of the chosen few! have given up seeking my holy grail, just try to do the best i can at keeping it at bay. on the plus side, i look younger than i am because i always have at least a few break-outs Rolling Eyes. even if i ever do clear up my skin, i've got the battle scars of an acne warrior. my goal is to make my skin the best it can be. it will never be the beautiful smooth complexion i've always longed for but, since resigning myself to it, i think it and i have looked a lot better.

i went and had a facial for the first time in years and she was oohing and ahing about how supple my skin was and how lucky i was to have natural oils, etc. i thought to myself that she *must* be kidding. but, no, she was completely earnest. i *do* look younger than others my age, and it isn't just the zits. i'm sure you do too.
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
la vie en rose

. . . i look younger than i am because i always have at least a few break-outs . . .
i *do* look younger than others my age, and it isn't just the zits. i'm sure you do too.

That's a good way to look at it! Smile I don't know if I look younger than I am, but I've always heard that some day I will appreciate having the extra oil in my skin because I won't have that many wrinkles. Right now, I'd gladly trade in my cystic acne spots for a few wrinkles! I also feel like you--I've come to accept that the acne is here for life, and all I can do is eat healthy foods, take vitamins/supplements, and try to take good care of my skin. I must admit, my skin is doing much better since I discovered the EDS forum!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
So . . . how do I know if my skin has been doing better lately due to the Praventin or due to my new skincare regimen? I kinda' started both around the same time--approx. 3 weeks ago. My face is doing so much better now--I haven't had any new cystic acne breakouts for over a week (which is rare, because I usually have at least 1-3 cystic (scarring) spots at any given time). I don't know if I should credit the supplements or my new topical products. (?) hmm

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
CORRECTION--I started my new skincare regimen (w/new products) about 3 weeks ago. I started taking the Praventin about 2 1/2 weeks ago. (something like that)

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Oh I know, its so hard to narrow it down to what you're doing thats making the difference in your skin.. you think you can by ruling one thing out but then it could just be a coincidence! I'm in the same boat as you, I've made a lot of changes to my skin recently and I don't know what it is thats keeping it clear (the water, the cutting out sugar?, being more persistant with skincare, eating the wheat germ daily...?). But I did just start my Praventin 3 days ago! Pepperminty chews... I only got a one month supply since it says you should notice a decrease in oiliness in two weeks... I think I'll know if its worth it or not for me by the end of the month.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Seeking~HG wrote:

Nymue,
To be honest, I really can't remember that much about it. It was so many years ago--back in the "olden days" when they called it "Accutane" (isn't it called "Roaccutane" now?). They didn't even do blood work regularly for me like they do now for people who are taking it. I hope I don't end up with liver damage! My last course was sometime prior to 1986. All I can remember is that both times I went on the highest dose recommended at the time and I used it for the longest time span recommended (I don't remember how many months it was, but it seemed to go on forever!). I remember suffering with dry, itchy skin, dry, cracked lips, and dried-out eyes. The effects lasted a while, but the acne came back over time. My derm told me that a small percentage of people do not get permanent relief from the drug. Unfortunately, I guess I'm one of those "chosen few." Sad

It's still called Accutane - I believe it's Roaccutane in the UK. My recent derm, the one I took the 2nd course with, said that for some people it will only clear them up for a few years and that they will go on it about 3 times in their life - once in the teens, then mid 20s, and maybe again around the mid to late 30s. It's about 6 months after my last course ended right now. 6 months after my first course I was already breaking out again. I get one or two small ones around my temples maybe, but they clear up in no time. If I start breaking out again in a few years, I wouldn't hesitate to go through the experience a 3rd time.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well with the Praventin! A decrease in cysts is DEFINITELY an improvement! Very Happy What kind of topicals are you using?
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 9:32 am      Reply with quote
Nymue wrote:

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well with the Praventin! A decrease in cysts is DEFINITELY an improvement! Very Happy What kind of topicals are you using?

I've been trying out so many different things on my face, but for approx. the last 3 weeks, my steady diet has been a daily aspirin mask (a "tweaked" version of Carekate's recipe w/lactic acid) and the AminoGenesis line. I also use Carekate's homemade ACV toner w/Vit C and Carekate's (?) homemade Vit C serum (15%) and Oxy Daily Cleansing Pads for Sensitive Skin. It's a lot, but I've been desperate to get rid of the cystic acne since they always leave nasty scars!
Oh, yea, and I've also been changing my pillow case nightly and using a new washcloth every time I wash. (As per someone's suggestion, I bought some cheapies and cut them into fourths and use one clean small square each time I cleanse. The AminoGenesis Really Really Clean facial cleanser directs users to use a washcloth, and I have found this seems to be beneficial.)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
Checking back in on the Praventin--I've gone through a whole bottle now, and I've decided NOT to repurchase. I don't really see that they have helped me any. I should know better than to expect a "miracle" to come in a bottle! Rolling Eyes I just got my 2 regular cystic acne spots during a PMS bout. No cure here. And my face is still as oily as ever. And besides, (slightly embarrassing) the Praventin caused me to have gas, which I realized is due to it being related to lactose products. I take digestive enzymes because I'm a little lactose intolerant, but the Praventin counter-acted the enzymes. After taking everything into consideration, I decided, why bother?! So for now, it's on to the next "potential miracle cure" . . .

I'm still curious to hear about how others do, though. How's it coming along with you, PhoebesMeow?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not going to be repurchasing either. I've been using it for almost 2 weeks and just don't feel the need to spend $20 a month on something that may or may not work. I haven't had a breakout for awhile and last month at that time of month I didn't even get a single zit. And that was before praventin too so I expected the same this month. Not so, its that time of the month and I got small zit. So I just don't feel the product is doing anything amazing for me. It says less oil visible in two weeks so I may change my tune on it as I've only been using it for just under 2 weeks. I will finish off the month but I'm not all that amazed by it. Its hard to remember to take it since I can't put it in with my regular vitamins (I'd end up swallowing it with water and not chewing it cuz I wouldn't be able to tell which was which). I don't think I'm lactose intolerant so I haven't been experiencing any side effects related to that. I will finish off the month supply and give my final opinion of this product, but so far, its just eh.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
hello, I am the mother of a 17 year old boy who is responsible for the "invention" of Praventin, the ingredient in 6-8 products on the market targeting acne.

I have also created a blog about it on typepad under the Praventin name if you would like to read more information into the product and study details. Please also feel free to ask me any questions.

As an adult female, I too use this product because after childbirth is when I started to breakout. It takes about 3-5 days to start working, but it does work well.

One thing about praventin is it is gentle and safe.
shantel
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
awalter wrote:
hello, I am the mother of a 17 year old boy who is responsible for the "invention" of Praventin, the ingredient in 6-8 products on the market targeting acne.

I have also created a blog about it on typepad under the Praventin name if you would like to read more information into the product and study details. Please also feel free to ask me any questions.

As an adult female, I too use this product because after childbirth is when I started to breakout. It takes about 3-5 days to start working, but it does work well.

One thing about praventin is it is gentle and safe.

I just bought it & I would love to know more info! Would you please direct me where can I read more about it! Thank you!

Damn! I didn't really catch that those are chewable pills - so I just swallowed one Brick wall Is it ok? Shall chew another one? Think Will it work if swallowed?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |