Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

:: Review :: Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF30
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:26 am      Reply with quote
I remember waiting for my order to arrive from EDS and reading Alohagirl's review of the DDF Organic Sunblock SPF30......and really hoping that my tube of Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF 30 would be just as great.

IT IS!! SurprisedSurprised Zazu, thanks for reminding me to review this product because it would have been used up and appreciated only by meeh! :P I'd read that this was Barbara's favorite SPF, so as she had given it the thumbs up it was definitely worth looking into.

Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF30 is a transparent zinc oxide sunblock-- I've learnt from Alohagirl that sunblocks are more effective as they act as a physical barrier and reflect the UVA/UVB rays away, as apposed to sunscreens which absorb these rays. I now also look for ingredients such as Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, the only two that are effective in sunblocks. Thanks Alohagirl-- you're a great teacher and you truly are the SPF guru!! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

This block comes in a soft metallic tube, and on first application I realised what a long way companies have come to get the product not only to this texture, but apply so transparently. It is a white medium-weight cream that goes on CLEAR. Zazu, you won't get any of that white 'congealing' streaky effect with the Skinceuticals sunblock. If you're thinking of getting one to go with your Skinceuticals Vit-C system consider this one, it'll work great with the rest of the team. Wink

It has a pleasant neutral scent and I love it as it's non-greasy (MUCH less oilier than the Phytomer Ogenage Anti-Aging Cream SPF30 I was using) so it didn't feel like I had a layer of oil on my face. I squeeze out an inch of this block, mix it between my hands and this amount is enough to go on my face, neck and decolletage (and of course tips of ears!). Makeup doesn't feel heavy going on top-- another PLUS with sunblock as it doesn't lose its effectiveness worn beneath makeup unlike sunscreen which you apparently have to wear on top for it to work properly.

Active ingredients are Octyle Methoxycinnamate 7.5% and Zinc Oxide
7.0%.; (Z-Cote) is a Skinceuticals trademark for the micro fine zinc oxide particles.

This tube is fantastic value at $CAD 31.00 for 90ml so more SPF to last me at least a number of months.... When sunblock looks this good who needs sunscreen!

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl, Will I need such a high SPF if I go to Australia in the winter? What level SPF do you wear in winter? I'm terrible but I don't wear SPF, so I have no experience.
Mabsy

Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:17 am      Reply with quote
SOLD! Thanks Summertimegirl (and thanks Babs Wink) Smile I shall be getting this in my next order Very Happy

Thoughtrime, even in winter the UV index can still reach the high levels, so best be protected in all seasons. Actually many people (and doctors even) say that SPF15 is enough for a normal non-beach day. But I'd rather be safe than sorry Smile
zazu
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:08 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl, I think I love you! Smile Seriously, I am going to put this Skinceuticals sunBLOCK on the top of the list for my (immenent!) next order.

It's funny that you mentioned mixing it between your hands: I've noticed an odd thing about living over 8,000 feet. When I rub anything between my hands for application to my face, my hands suck up whatever I'm rubbing so that there is hardly anything left to apply! Mad
jenny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Summertime Girl!
I am sold - this product will be next on my list! In fact, you read my mind - my current sun block is running out and am wondering what to order next.

Cheers
Jenny
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:53 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl,

I swear, if I had a product to sell, I'd hire you as my spokesperson!

I wrote a similar sunblock review, but yours had Zazu, Mabsy and Jenny rushing to buy! And who knows how many others who came across your post from search engine hits!!!

(You should contact Skinceuticals Corp. about Royalties.)Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:44 am      Reply with quote
LOL! You guys make this forum so much fun I swear, I wish my internet was more reliable at home! :P everything's running at turtle pace tonight.

Thoughtcrime, I agree with Mabsy that the Aussie rays can be pretty strong even during winter. Our winters are mild by comparison to the States but in the sun you'll still notice a bit of warmth brewing on the skin after a length of time so it's always safer to wear protection. I wear SPF 30 on my face all year round-- it's just a habit now I guess, you get used to applying it every morning, a bit like wearing a bra Wink... even my foundation has an SPF. Do you not wear SPF because you find it's too greasy going over your moisturiser, like another layer? I know friends who hate having too much on their face so they just go for a tinted moisturiser-- I've seen some with SPF 20 in them. The Skinceuticals sunblock is so lightweight that you don't even think you've got SPF on.... but the only thing is it does contain Propelene Glycol and beezwax in it-- Alohagirl pointed those ingredients out that might not suit you Sad

Zazu, this one's micro fine so you might find that your thirsty hands will lap it up before your face can get to it too! :P You'll really love it though! Very Happy

Jenny, my skin's as dry as yours and I use a pretty hefty-duty moisturiser (Phytomer's Hydration Reinforcee-- a really dense, almost waxy consistency that does a beaut job) and this SPF didn't weigh me down more at all, so it'll be good with your Cellex-C GLA cream. Wink

Alohagirl, Mabsy's contract as Spokesperson for Cellcosmet has just been renewed (she promised to keep me in mind when she's on the Board of Directors hehe :P!) I don't mind singing the praises of Skinceuticals-- their products are pretty awesome quality. I can't wait to hear more about Vit-C as it's the next thing I want to try. WinkWink

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Summertimegirl, yes I always have felt the sunblocks were way too greasy, and ideally I would like a moisturizer that contains one. I'm not much of an outdoorsy person and never spend time in the sun if possible; unless I'm walking from my car to the parking lot. I do wear moisturizer with a UVB filter, or with titanium dioxide. And my makeup has titanium dioxide, though how much, I'm not sure. Is that any protection? Could someone explain to me exactly what is a UVB filter? Also what is the correct way to wear sunblock-- over or under your moisturizer? thanks
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by thoughtcrime
my makeup has titanium dioxide, though how much, I'm not sure. Is that any protection? Could someone explain to me exactly what is a UVB filter? Also what is the correct way to wear sunblock-- over or under your moisturizer? thanks

1) Just because titanium dioxide is listed in a product's ingredients, that doesn't mean it gives sun protection. Sometimes a small amount of TD is added to a product to make it opaque rather than clear. If there is enough TD to provide sun protection, the label will usually say so. For example, on the front of Estee Lauder's Equalizer foundation it states "SPF 10" On the back it states: "Active ingredient: Titanium Dioxide"

2) UVB filter means the product contains one or more chemical sunscreen ingredients known to absorb UV-B radiation. (Titanium and Zinc would not be called filters because they block and repel rather than absorb.)

3)Sunblock should be applied after moisturizer because the purpose of the moisturizer is to hydrate the upper layers of skin. Sunblock doesn't penetrate, so if it were applied first, it would prevent the moisturizer from doing its job.

HTH--Alohagirl:P
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Alohagirl--the sun goddess and guru extraordinaire :P

thank-you for your reply; that was very helpful. So it sounds like a UVB filter is comparable to a sunscreen? I remember reading one of your posts explaining the difference between a sunscreen and a sunblock. But interestingly enough

Quote:

) UVB filter means the product contains one or more chemical sunscreen ingredients known to absorb UV-B radiation. (Titanium and Zinc would not be called filters because they block and repel rather than absorb.)

the moisturizer I am currently using Decleor's Harmonie Essentielle has a UVB filter, and I can't picture them using chemicals Surprised. And so does some of the Orlane moisturizers.
angela
5% products discount

Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know the difference between Physical UV Defense SPF 30 and Ultimate UV Defense SPF 30 by Skinceuticals? I am looking for non oily sunblocks. Also, if they are both SPF 30, why is the Physical UV Defense more expensive than the other one? Thanks in advance for any reply.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
So it sounds like a UVB filter is comparable to a sunscreen? ...the moisturizer I am currently using Decleor's Harmonie Essentielle has a UVB filter, and I can't picture them using chemicals.
Thoughtcrime, sorry I took so long to reply. I went off island for a few days (and sorely missed my high-speed internet line!)

To answer your question, UVB "Filter" is just another way of saying UVB "Sunscreen."

As for Decleor not containing chemicals, I was surprised to discover that except for the oils and balms, the products contain lots of chemicals. Usually when you see Decleor ingredients listed online, only a few components are mentioned (the more desireable ones.) For example, Decleor's Gentle Soothing Creme contains more than the advertised essential oils. It also contains:

Water (Aqua), Pentylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Squalane, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Hydrolyzed Sweet Almond Protein, Octyldodectyl Stearoyl Stearate, Propylene Glycol, Myristate, Dimethicone, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Ribse Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil, PEG-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Bisabolol, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Batyl Alcohol, Polyperfluoromethylisopropyl Ether, Panthenol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Stearic Acid, Behenyl Alcohol, Cetyl Palmitate, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Neroli Oil, Thymus Mastichina (Sweet Marjoram) Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Rose Flower Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Pueraria Lobata Root Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Leaf Extract, Rose Extract (Rosa Centifolia), Crataegus Oxyacantha Extract, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Flower Water, Sodium Hydroxyethyl Acrylate,Acrloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Silanetriol Trehalose Ether, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA, Ceramide 3, Phytosphingosine, Cholesterol, Cermide 6-11, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Glutamyl Histamine, Ceramide 1, Butylparaben, Methylparaben

That being said, I have to admit I'm having doubts about whether or not putting chemicals in skincare products is actually a bad thing. I say that because I've been trying a lot of products in the last few months -- you girls have turned me into a product junkie!-- and I noticed that the more "natural" a product is, the more likely my skin will react badly. In fact, with the exception of Decleor's oils and balms, every 100% natural product I've ever used has given me painful cysts!Surprised

On the other hand, Orlane is loaded with chemicals, and my skin loves it. And consider the Valmont Renewing Mask. It primarily consists of Propylene Glycol (a.k.a. automobile antifreeze) and Mineral Oil. But everyone is raving about the beautiful results. They're even sleeping in it!! Antifreeze--Go Figure!!Surprised

So I, for one, am definitely rethinking my position on natural vs. chemical skincare!
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by angela
Does anyone know the difference between Physical UV Defense SPF 30 and Ultimate UV Defense SPF 30 by Skinceuticals? I am looking for non oily sunblocks. Also, if they are both SPF 30, why is the Physical UV Defense more expensive than the other one?
Angela,

The "Ultimate" product contains one chemical sunscreen and one physical block. The "Physical" product contains two physical blocks and no chemical screens. So it's a matter of preference.

As for the difference in price, I can make an educated guess. Physical blocks contain zinc and titanium microparticles which are more expensive to produce than chemical ingredients.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:01 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:

As for Decleor not containing chemicals, I was surprised to discover that except for the oils and balms, the products contain lots of chemicals. Usually when you see Decleor ingredients listed online, only a few components are mentioned (the more desireable ones.) For example, Decleor's Gentle Soothing Creme contains more than the advertised essential oils. It also contains:

thanks Alohagirl for the recommendation. Yeah, I too have noticed that Decleor, and other companies just list key ingredients but not filler, or chemical ingredients on their websites. Now what about suntan lotions? I've never used one, but have been noticing tanning products with SPF. Now how does that work? thank-you
iz
5% products discount

Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Angela;
Are you now in HK? If so, I guess it's easy for you to shop for some good quality skin products that suit the skin types of Asians, also the products are light to use under humid weather. A lot of Japanese brands are really good, I would recommend sofina if you are looking for effective non-oily sunscreen for fac, they are light yet they give you enough moisturization. They have SPF 25 and would be enough for normal daily activities.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Now what about suntan lotions? I've never used one, but have been noticing tanning products with SPF. Now how does that work?
Thoughtcrime,

SPF stands for "sun protection factor." The numeral indicates how long you can stay in the sun without burning. This is how it works:

If a person normally burns after 20 minutes in the sun, a product with SPF 10 will allow her to stay in the sun for 200 minutes before burning. A product with a high SPF, like 30, would allow her to stay in the sun all day. (She might have to reapply, though, depending on the product.)

If the same girl wanted to get a tan, she could choose a low SPF number, like 8. Some of the UV rays would get through and she would get a little color. But if she absorbs those UV rays for more than 160 minutes, she'll start to burn.Surprised

That's the general idea behind SPF ratings, but it does vary from person to person. (Climate makes a difference, too. An unprotected city dweller might last an hour under her smoggy summer sky, but only 10 minutes in Australia or Hawaii.)

--Alohagirl:P
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the clarification alohagirl Wink
before this I wasn't sure how someone could both be protected from the sun's rays and tan at the same time Surprised
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Alohagirl,

You truly are the sun Goddess !! Wink Your knowledge of sun products is second to none. Thanks so much for educating us and getting us knowledged up!

I really believe the secret to youthful skin starts with sun protection-- forget expensive anti-wrinkle creams, lotions and potions. It all starts with simply applying a good sunscreen or sunblock !!
In Australia, the Aust Skin Cancer Council had a long running campaign which started in the early 80s encouraging people to use sun cream and it was called SLIP SLOP SLAP, Slip on a shirt, Slop on sunscreen and Slap on a hat-- it was a pretty simple and catchy ad but reminds people to guard themselves against the worst case.

Thanks for always looking out for us Sis!

Summertimegirl x
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by summertimegirl
Thanks for always looking out for us Sis!

You're welcome. (And it's fun for me to share my research with people who care!)

--Alohagirl:P
Mabsy

Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Well my order from EDS arrived yesterday and this sunblock is one of the products I got. Of course my parcel, thanks to the lovely ladies at EDS, came filled with great new things to try Very Happy It was a fab early-birthday treat! Thanks EDS!

I've only used this sunblock once (i.e. this morning Smile) but I like it so far. It does actually go on clear. I'll use it for a while though before I do my 'report' on it because sunblocks and I have a checkered past Smile

Thanks for the rec Summertimegirl and Babs (Babs - how's the house going?)

Mabsy.
dreamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
I'm wondering if it's good for oily skin? I like matte sunscreen item.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 9:15 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone happen to know the PPD for this sunblock? It's good for UVB protection but what about the UVA? Thanks! Smile
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 02, 2007 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Octyle Methoxycinnamate would be a chemical sunscreen guys Embarassed
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 03, 2007 7:47 am      Reply with quote
I have been using this sunblock for years and I love it a lot. It really works and does not clog my pores. Dancing
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:25 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered this product. I want to use it so bad Embarassed
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |