Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Alternative ways to lighten your hair? (outside of salon)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Maura L.
5% products discount

Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:54 am      Reply with quote
Is there any easy, cheap... preferably natural...way to just lighten your hair a bit?

My hair is a lot darker now than it used to be when I was younger (I used to be a dirty blond, now I'm definitely more of a brunette).

I kind of miss the blond streaks but I don't want to get started with highlights because of the hassle of maintenance, not to mention the costs. Also I hate the that stripey or streaky look I see on some women.

I've used Sun In before -- in my younger days used to go overboard with that and got the orangey/brassy look which I didn't like. Now I just will add a few sprays here and there every couple of months.

But is there anything else I should be looking into? I'm not in love with Sun In because of it's tendency to make the hair reddish. I've heard of just squeezing lemon drops into your hair... does that work? Do you have to be in the sun to activate it?

Or are there any other natural ways to do this? I've heard about henna techniques...
Maura L.
5% products discount

Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Oops this is probably the wrong forum for talking about hair -- but I figured since I saw that "How often do you wash your hair" thread it will be OK!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:01 am      Reply with quote
put some lemon juice Wink in your hair and go outside for a few hours....make sure its a sunny day!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Maura sounds like you've got similar colour hair to me. I also wanted a cheap way to highlight my hair and even sat for around 4 hours whilst my hubby pulled my hair through a cap with a home highlight kit, NEVER AGAIN!

I have used Sun In too and got the same effect as you but try lemon juice and then sit in the sun it does work.

I now use a full hair colour for blonde hair and it only takes 20 mins, much quicker and easier.
Maura L.
5% products discount

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:19 am      Reply with quote
I've never used the lemon juice stuff before... can I ask a few questions?

1. Are you talking real lemon juice, i.e. directly squeezed from a lemon, or the pre-squeezed lemon juice you can buy in the store?

2. Do you just apply it to a few strands or all over or what?

3. How dramatic are the results?

4. Does it look at all orangey/brassy like Sun-In?
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:14 am      Reply with quote
You should use some real lemon juice, and stay in the sun. However, if you are a dark brunette it wouldnt work. Also lemon + sun cant be good on your hair. It would really dry your hair right up...going into the salon to lighten your hair would probably be just as damaging.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I posted this link up for natural hair colouring products in the Lounge:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11657

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:07 am      Reply with quote
http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1982_March_April/Color_Your_Hair___Naturally_

hope it's okay to post this link, lots' of good info here on natural dyes. I am dyed right now but want to get back to my natural color and try some of these methods.

Allie Grace
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I've never used the lemon juice stuff before... can I ask a few questions?

1. Are you talking real lemon juice, i.e. directly squeezed from a lemon, or the pre-squeezed lemon juice you can buy in the store?
I'm lazy, I buy the "Real Lemon" in the plastic yellow lemon bottle, but you could squeeze those little buggers if you wanted..
2. Do you just apply it to a few strands or all over or what? depends on the look you are going for...chunky-put it on big chunks of your hair from the root to the ends. I usually put some on a wide tooth comb and just comb it through.

3. How dramatic are the results?
I find that its very natural looking
4. Does it look at all orangey/brassy like Sun-In ? I have blonde hair and it lightens it up nicely. In the winter, I get highlights from my hairdresser, but when I use lemon in the summer, I dont have to.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a link to another thread from last month that dealt with hair lightening: www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11220&highlight=
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
i was wondering if using lemon to lighten hair would work on black/really dark brown (asian) hair?
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi, have you tried henna? it can dramatic or subtle results depending on your base hair color. my hair is really dark, so it just adds red highlights that can be seen in the sun only. it's also 100% natural and is good for the scalp. http://hennaforhair.com/

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Honey. I do honey rinses and that gradually lightens your hair. Put about a tablespoon into a cup and add water (warm or cold) to dissolve the honey. After shampooing and conditioning as a last step do the rinse. I leave it in, others rinse it out. Not only will it lighten your hair but it'll give you great shine since the honey acts as a humectant.

5% products discount

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
Watch out if you use the lemon juice method! Make sure you don't get it on your skin because the juice makes your skin a lot more susceptible to sunburn. I know from experience. Ouch.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:08 am      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Honey. I do honey rinses and that gradually lightens your hair. Put about a tablespoon into a cup and add water (warm or cold) to dissolve the honey. After shampooing and conditioning as a last step do the rinse. I leave it in, others rinse it out. Not only will it lighten your hair but it'll give you great shine since the honey acts as a humectant.

Does that rinse rinseout easily? Thanks Oops just saw that you leave it in.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
I never did it cause I didn't want to lay out in the sun all day cause of sun - skin damage. So I had tried soaking my hair in various things like straight 3% hydrogen peroxide. Plus other mixtures like lemon/chamomile etc. and then blow drying it to create the heat effect. Absolutely ZERO change in color. It did nothing at all. I wonder if you really do need the sun for it to work. Or maybe it only works if you have blonde hair. I guess I will have to give it a try and cover my face as much as I can. I wouldn't mind a light tan on my body, as envious and unfair as I feel looking at all those gorgeously bronzed Brazilian models.

I honestly can't decide though what to do with the color of my hair. I have not colored or highlighted it in over 5 years. I've gotten used to the natural color for once. Although I am getting bored of it, it just is too subtle and too dull for me. I hate being in between and wish I naturally had a vibrant color. When I was a little kid my hair was basically platinum blonde. Then as I grew older it progressively got dirtier and dirtier and darker, until now as an adult it is brunette/light brown. It is pretty light ash/mousy brown though and boring. I wish it was either bright blonde or rich dark caramel brown. So I can go either way. Blonde highlights or maybe a dark henna color. Although all the photos of rich brown I like are on girls with darker skin color and more exotic looking, maybe it wouldn't look good on me. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. So hard to decide. I know I should go to a salon for highlights I just hate all the other chemicals it comes with. Made me feel sick last time and totally damaged my hair. Confused
jessica3llen

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I used to just brew some chamomile tea, put it in a spray bottle, spray it on my hair and sit in the sun. It worked as a gradual lightener, and my hair is medium brown. I imagine mixing some lemon juice with it and doing the honey rinses might be the best way to lighten your hair faster.
jessica3llen

Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I decided to let my hair go natural also, although I like exotic colors that are vibrant and the dull color was just not working for me. I do not like chemical dyes because of the PPD, so I found out that I can dye my hair with henna. There is also cassia, and indigo, which if used alone or with henna can give you an array of colors and is natural.
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I hi-light my own hair with kits from the drugstore. I've been doing it myself for years and it looks great. I only have to touch up my hi-lights once every 4 months. Now I only need to do the top of my head now as the older highlights grow out. The first time you will need to do a bit more depending on the look you want. It's fast and it only costs me $10.00 every 4 months. I don't use the kits with the plastic bonnet and hook, they are too time consuming and they are a pain if you have longer hair. They do work good if you have short hair. I either brush the lightener on small sections with the brush in the kit or with an old toothbrush or I coat small sections with the die between my fingers. I do wear plastic gloves of course. To do the back of my head I just look in another mirror behind me or ask my husband to do a few. Since I only want a subtle look I only add about 15 highlights total. It really helps brighten my dark blond hair that keeps getting darker as I get older. The kits sold at drugstores really work very well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
keli13, is there a certain kit that you like?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Recently my colorist put on a toner that was too dark. I was told to go to a beauty supply store and buy a bottle of low volume peroxide, like a 10 but no more than a 20. You mix equal parts volume and shampoo and add two ounces of water and shampoo it into your hair. I left it on for 10-20 minutes, checking the color as you don't want it to turn brassy or orange and then rinsed it out and shampooed again, followed by a deep conditioner. It did lighten a few shades and was not brassy at all. You could probably do this in sections as a highlighter of sorts.

Fri May 07, 2010 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
keli13, is there a certain kit that you like?

Yes, I would really like to know what brand you use too.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |