Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How do I control hard water stains out of stainless steel?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I have well water and a crappy water softener and would like to know what is an easy way to keep up with hard water stains in my stainless steel sink.

Thanks
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Try rubbing baking soda really well all over it and then rinsing. I've done this with pots and pans and it works well. I hope it works for you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:03 am      Reply with quote
double the baking soda, BUT, rub it in using half a lemon. We use lemon wedges and baking soda to clean our super expensive stainless cookware (we have been collecting it piece by piece since we got engaged - 9 years ago! Laughing )

NOTHING brings them up as shiny like new as this combo does!!
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I use a few things. If it's not a shiny or satin special finish, I use steel wool (like on the kitchen sink). Or the Mr. Clean magic eraser works (one of the few things it is good for-except it's also good for cleaning out the microwave- no chemicals! Very Happy ) Also I have this orange cleaner that is the generic of some orange-oil type cleaner that also takes off hard water stains. As you can see, I also have very hard water (limestone), that's why I have a million ways to take off the residue! Laughing
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Dip some steel wool in vinegar and scrub!
Mabsy

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:55 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
double the baking soda, BUT, rub it in using half a lemon. We use lemon wedges and baking soda to clean our super expensive stainless cookware (we have been collecting it piece by piece since we got engaged - 9 years ago! Laughing )

NOTHING brings them up as shiny like new as this combo does!!

Great! I will have to try this on my kettle. It's a shiny steel so I wouldn't use the steel wool in this case (although it rocks for cleaning the shower!) but this sounds intriguing!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Try a product sold in grocery stores called Bar Keepers Friend (usually on the same shelf as Comet). It works wonders on all stainless steel. Years ago when we had well water it would bring the rust colorered stains out of bathroom fixtures as well.

Hadn't thought of trying the Magic Erasers for that, but I'd bet they would work too. Want to add that if you haven't purchased Mr. Clean Magic Erasers yet, run out and buy a pack. They are priceless around the house.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:44 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, my hubby usually does the pans with lemon/bi-carb. He enjoys watching them come up so nice (and I like that he does it because ya know, needs a bit more elbow grease than some heavy chemical cleaner). IMO it works better than the Raco stainless cleaner my mum has.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Do any of these methods help to remove the brown discoloration caused by high heat? Thanks.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:54 am      Reply with quote
lemon Bi-carb should do it (does on ours) but I guess it depends on how bad it is... you might want to make a thick paste of bi-carb and fresh-squeezed lemon juice (including pulp and also the zest) and leave it to sit for a while before using the remaining rind to act as the "scrubber". I have not had to do it this way before (no excessive staining), but sitting here thinking of how I would tackle it, that is what I came up with.
MelissaMarie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Ditto the BAR KEEPER FREIND, its amazing on pots and pans, sinks just about anything, I can't live without this stuff.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |