Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
question for dogs' parents
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Just got home today and realized that my dog's eye has this greenish discharge (sorry, dont mean to be gross). Has your dog ever had this? Is this serious (requires a visit to the vet)?
thanks
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
I have a 6 year old golden retriever. A year or 2 back, he did develop some sort of greenish discharge and his 'white part' of the eye was quite red. We ended up taking him to the vet and they prescribed a cream that we put around the eye/ in the eye so the infection could go away. All it was, was an antibiotic cream. I can't remember what it was called but I do remember that you could get it on petmeds.com for much cheaper than what the vet wanted. Not knowing this, we got it from the vet. It cleared up quite fast, but I wouldn't take this lightly. Have it checked out. Hope this provided some help Smile .

Marianna
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, the greenish part makes it sound like an infection, and IMO, you should get any possible infection checked out by a vet. Good Luck, and I hope your pup is okay!
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
thank you for the reply. I am very worried. I just called the vet clinic, and the nice lady there gave me an emergency appoinment tomorrow morning.
girldelvov: do you remember how much the medicine was? and also, you mentioned that you can get it on petmeds.com? does it mean it is not prescription medicine?
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
thank you for the reply. I am very worried. I just called the vet clinic, and the nice lady there gave me an emergency appoinment tomorrow morning.
girldelvov: do you remember how much the medicine was? and also, you mentioned that you can get it on petmeds.com? does it mean it is not prescription medicine?

So the cream was $30- 50 at the vets. And we then got another tube of it from petmeds.com for $15-20 shipped. When I get home, I'll take a look if we still have some of it left so I can tell you the name. I'm not sure if it's a prescribed medicine but seeing that it was available on petmeds.com, I presume not. I am not certain though, sorry Sad .

Marianna
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
We do still have some ointment left. Its called, get ready for this:

Fougera Neomycin and Polymymin B Sulfates, Bacitracin Zinc, and Hydrocortisone Acetate Opthalmic Ointment USP Sterile.

And on the box, it says Rx ONLY. The bottle it came in has Prescribed by Dr. something on it. Maybe thats not the name of it, but its the clossest thing I could find. I know its not the ingredient list because there was a seperate listing of INGREDIENTS on it. So, here you go Very Happy.

Marianna
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
huh.... this is very interesting.Neomycin and Polymymin B Sulfates, Bacitracin Zinc ar the ingredients for neosporin. I wonder if I can just use neosporin on her.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:00 am      Reply with quote
If you have saline solution you can use it tonight to relief some of the dryness. I find the drops easier to give to pets rather than the creams.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
HI! Did you keep your vet appointment, I hope? Sometimes an eye discharge can look like a simple infection but also may involve a scratched cornea, which if not treated properly could result in a nasty ulcer. Please update and let us know how you made out with your doggie.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
i went today...
the vet did some sort of tests and gave her triple antibiotic eye cream for a week. Then we should come back to see the vet if it does not get better.
Thank you for all the advice. I really appreciate it.
Btw, does anybody here purchase pet insurance? I am thinking about getting it, but I dont know if it is worth it.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Did you end up going to Broadview Animal Clinic? If so, how'd you like it? If not, did you find a better place? The pet insurance is an intriguing topic. I've wondered about that. Hope someone who knows something replies Very Happy .
Mabsy

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:37 am      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
i went today...
the vet did some sort of tests and gave her triple antibiotic eye cream for a week. Then we should come back to see the vet if it does not get better.
Thank you for all the advice. I really appreciate it.
Btw, does anybody here purchase pet insurance? I am thinking about getting it, but I dont know if it is worth it.

I've been buying dog insurance for years. It's come in very handy once or twice when my dog needed surgery. This particular insurance also gives automatic discounts on vet visits, vaccinations etc. I think I pay something like $120/year. Luckily, it hasn't had to save me much money in the last few years Smile If I think about it, I've probably paid more on insurance overall than it has saved me but you just never know so I prefer to have it for peace of mind.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
mabsy: Is this insurance only available in australia? I am not looking to like save a lot of money from this insurance. The only thing that I am worried about is what if when she is really sick (life threatening) and I dont have money at the time.
Hm.... please let me know about this insurance.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:36 am      Reply with quote
I think I've seen pet insurance advertised through Petsmart before. You might want to check their website for more.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
there are several american pet insurance companies. I suggest you go to your vet and see what types he/she honours and then you don't need to switch vets. (I'm VERY attached to my vet)

I too think in most cases you pay more for the pet insurance than you do for vet visits (unless your dog has severe medical problems).

It is however a great thing for people who can't handle a large lump sum at once. See what the prices are like...and if you don't want to invest in the insurance at least start an emergency vet fund...Get an automatic savings account and put $20 or $50 in it a month until you've saved a good amount. (Personally I recommend about $4,000)

Here's some companies:
http://www.petcareinsurance.com/ (USA and Canada)
http://www.vetinsurance.com/ (USA and Canada)

Here's an article that's worth a read if you are considering pet insurance:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insurance/P76008.asp

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
I have pet insurance and I love it. my dog has low thyroid and requires monthly meds that the insurance pays for. He is also have a small eye surgury next week that the insurance will cover. I use insurance throught the AKC (but your dog does not have to be registered with the AKG to be eligable for insurance) This insurance has been great. http://www.akcpethealthcare.com/BHIA/

With my last dog, we had VPI. I would NOT recommend them to anyone. My dog had cancer. We spent probably about $10,000 trying to diagnose him and the insurance only paid about $1500 in the end. They had excuse upon excuse about why they didn't couldn't pay.

Our policy is about $35 a month. Also, you don't really have to worry about your vet 'accepting' your particular insurance plan because most plans require you to pay your vet bill, then submit it for reimbursment, so your vet doesn't ever actually have contact with the insurance company.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:
I have pet insurance and I love it. my dog has low thyroid and requires monthly meds that the insurance pays for. He is also have a small eye surgury next week that the insurance will cover. I use insurance throught the AKC (but your dog does not have to be registered with the AKG to be eligable for insurance) This insurance has been great. http://www.akcpethealthcare.com/BHIA/

With my last dog, we had VPI. I would NOT recommend them to anyone. My dog had cancer. We spent probably about $10,000 trying to diagnose him and the insurance only paid about $1500 in the end. They had excuse upon excuse about why they didn't couldn't pay.

Our policy is about $35 a month. Also, you don't really have to worry about your vet 'accepting' your particular insurance plan because most plans require you to pay your vet bill, then submit it for reimbursment, so your vet doesn't ever actually have contact with the insurance company.

abejita: how is it compared to pet care insurance, do you know? pet care seems cheaper.
Mabsy

Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
mabsy: Is this insurance only available in australia? I am not looking to like save a lot of money from this insurance. The only thing that I am worried about is what if when she is really sick (life threatening) and I dont have money at the time.
Hm.... please let me know about this insurance.

The one that I have is only available in Australia, sorry! In fact, it's only available if you go to a select chain of vets - it's actually offered by that vet chain. It was the first pet insurance to be introduced in Australia (so I was told) and since then even normal insurance companies offer pet insurance (as an option to your house insurance, or an add-on, or something like that).

I think you should speak to your vet first (if you want to make sure that they accept a particular plan) and find out what your options are.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:14 am      Reply with quote
abejita: how is it compared to pet care insurance, do you know? pet care seems cheaper.

I am not sure because I really don't know anything about the Pet Care Insurance. One thing with the AKC insurance plan that I have is that there is only a once a year deductable, I think it is either $100 or $125 so after you reach that they pay 80% of everything. The plan I had before with VPI had a $50 deductable on every claim. The monthly premium was less, but there was a deductable for every claim (and they didn't pay what they said they would)
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I also should say that I believe the deductables depend on the breed and size of your dog. In general, the larger your dog, the larger your vet bill Wink because many things are done by weight. So my $35 monthly premium is for my 100lb dog and it might not be the same if you have a smaller dog.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
is yours also cover preventative care such as vaccines, yearly checkup, etc?
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
no, it does not cover preventive care. I beleive the premium was $50/month to cover preventive care, which worked out to an additional $240 just to cover preventive stuff. I do not spend that much on preventive vet trips or medicine, so I did not think it was worth it. That is why I just got the policy that covered accidents, illness and emergencies.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
thanks a lot for the info abejita, I will def check it out.
Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |