Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
my lips are in bad condition - plz help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
IcyFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I been battleling incredibly dry lips for as long as I have lived, and just recently the corners of my mouth have begun to crack and boil up. I dont know why, and I've tried chapsticks, burt bees, and some other store brands that have not helped.

Also, im young and my lips look wrinkly. Is there way that get the wrinkly skin with some type of firming product?
atalbest
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
If I were you I would buy a medicated lip balm that would make my lips hurt less and apply alla the time until they were healed. If the conditioned remained I would go see a dermatologist.
IcyFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Atalbest,

I did buy the aquaphor ointment.. and that seems to be helping heal the cracked blisters around my lips.

However, my lips are still dry and chapped, with wrinkly skin on top. What product do you think could remove all that out and smooth it? becaus Ive tried exfoliationg my lips, and that didnt do much.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have used the Dr.Hauschka lip cream, the one in the little jar. It has worked extremely well on my or my husbands very dry, chapped lips. I actually have to make sure he has one at all times, especially when mine seems to disapear!!! It is a great product to use if you spend a lot of time in the sun via water or skiing.

I have tried numerous other products and keep returning to this one. I always have one of their lip care sticks in my purse at all times.

Feliz
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I get like that too. I find it helps to avoid citrus stuff like oranges, lemons, orange juice, 5-Alive juice, etc.

I still battle dryness but I don't get those painful cracks if I avoid the cirtus...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
Ugh, welcome to my life!! My lips get sooo dry and cracked, esp in the winter. Finally this winter I got so fed up, I bought 30 or so lip balms to try to find at least one that worked. Most of them didn't do anything, but the two lip balms that worked the best were Duwop's Buttercream lip balm, and an all-natural balm called Ganache for Lips. That being said, Juice Beauty sells a lip plumping treatment which I think is even better than a lip balm. It's more like a non-sticky gloss, but it really gets rid of the dryness, and because it's plumping it helps with fine lines, etc too. Also tastes like orange honey, bonus! Hope this helps!
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
using a lip exfoliator will help eliminate dead skin on the surface. In terms of moisture look for something that conditions the lips like juvena's visible lip, which is what i found works for me. It gets absorbed into the lips rather than sitting on the surface and doing absolutely nothing.

oli
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:18 pm      Reply with quote
also, the juvenance lip deliner is a good one too in terms of healing properties.

oli
atalbest
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
I am not quite sure exfoliating your lips is the best thing you can do right now... I would leave my lips to reject the dead skin on their own. I think exfoliating is bad when lips are so dry and in pain...
You could try Blistex Medicated, it really is moistorising and creates that cooling effect. Leave your lips alone, no exfoliation. Just a medicated balm and see how it goes...
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:35 am      Reply with quote
My lips are full and tend to look wrinkly as well. I use Labello SOS balm, I love it. It comes in a tube and is kind of white but goes on fairly clear. I use it all day and at night and my lips are looking really nice these days, plump and moisturized. I'm not too sure you can get Labello in the US though. Taking HA supplements smooths my lips out considerably but am too cheap to get them shipped from the US all the time. I've also noticed when I up my water intake, 8 cups a day or even more, my lips look smoother. It seems so simple but really, it works. I've also stopped using lipsticks and even gloss, just a bit of liner with balm. My lips are pigmented so I can get away with it. I also avoid lip products with chemical sunscreens, it irritates my lips and makes them dry and chapped. It's really unfortunate because lips need sunprotection too. I used to use Blistek Herbal Answer balm in the tube, SPF 15 but it suddenly started irritating this winter, poo. If you can tolerate chemical sunscreens I would totally recommend this balm.

Maybe our resident lip expert, Carekate will pop in with her tips. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi--have you tried Carmex? A thick coat of this at night for about 2-3 nights (when I have super-chapped, dried-out lips) really works for me to get rid of the dead, flaky stuff. I prefer this to other exfoliating treatments because a) the thick, waxy texture makes it stay on better and b) it's cheap and widely-available. It works way better for me than manually scrubbing away (with a washcloth, toothbrush or whatever). You can also layer a moisturizing treatment over it like Aquaphor, and use the latter after you get the dead stuff off to maintain softness. Use the Carmex only when your lips are starting to feel dry and chapped--but do not use when they're healthy. HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:48 am      Reply with quote
I find that if I put whatever facial moisturizer I am using on my lips that it helps a great deal and actually quicker and more effective than any balm that I have used.

If I let them go during the winter months and they get really dry, I will need to apply lotion to them several times a day until they are restored to any resemblance of lips...

A lot of balms can be very drying...

Try to include your lips in your facial routine, and perhaps consider carrying a small bottle or container of lotion in your purse for your lips.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Some balms are drying, I've tried many even the much loved Prada and MAC balms, total havoc for my lips. They both contain chemical sunscreen I believe. Also, the new Blistex one in the grey tube with the roller contains chemical sunscreen, my husband loves it and the texture is lovely, very light.

I like Carmex too, it's mostly Vaseline I think, it will protect your lips from the wind and provide moisture retention.

Lotion doesn't work for me at all, they dry and crack or are filmy, yuck.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
[b]I'm done trying vaseline-related products because I convinced they do little to actually help. I'm actually going for something that absorbs into the lips rather than just sit there.
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
IcyFire, I think you have the right idea. I discovered Lancome optimum lip treatment, which is a soak right in cream under any kind of balm (clinique superbalm is my favorite)works much better than just a balm alone. Another thing that works on really chapped lips is a thin layer of 1% cortisone cream (not the kind in petroleum jelly), quick absorbing cream type under lipstick or balm. AND, don't forget that lips are exposed skin. Get a lip balm with sunscreen and use that whenever you're outside.
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
IcyFire wrote:
[b]I'm done trying vaseline-related products because I convinced they do little to actually help. I'm actually going for something that absorbs into the lips rather than just sit there.

that's very true, vaseline only makes the problem worse, it won't nourish the lips at all which is what you need. Do you find that you lick your lips alot? That's a common reason for lip dryness too.

oli
IcyFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
Oli,
I sent ya a private message, please reply Very Happy
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I have the same problem. The only thing that helps me is La Mer lip balm. It is very expensive - $40, but it lasts a long long time. In order for it to be effective, I have to use it at night, in the morning, and during the day.
Mabsy

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:59 am      Reply with quote
A really cheap alternative that I can suggest to those that have really bad problems with dry lips would be Lucas' Paw Paw Ointment. It's a little known (at least overseas, it's almost cult here) ointment made from only fermented paw paws. It's supposed to be fantastic for all sorts of problems with cracked skin, burns, scars etc. This is the stuff I'm talking about http://www.skinorganicsonline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=216 but you can get it in little tubes as well.

ETA: If you have an MUA account, here's the link to the reviews: http://makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=56941/Lucas'_Papaw_Ointment/Unlisted_Brand/Lip_Treatments/

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:51 am      Reply with quote
IcyFire -

I get those cracks/sores/blisters in the corners of my mouth and have conducted extensive research to figure out what causes them – click here to read the entire saga: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6986&highlight=cracks+blisters although here it is in a nutshell:
carekate wrote:
Finally found out what the hell those blister/cracks at the corner of your mouth are called: angular cheilitis and it is caused by severe dryness/chapped lips! These painful cracks at the corner of the mouth form and can then harbor fungus which makes them so hard to get rid of. They suggest using a OTC anti-fungal cream such as clotrimazole twice per day to heal them.

*CareKate trots off to pharmacy to buy anti-fungal cream so she can be forearmed the next time the dreaded mouth cracks strike*

There are several things you need to do to get your lips healthy again:

1) Get the anti-fungal cream to deal with the cracks/blisters in the corners of your mouth. Personally, I have made my own anti-fungal remedy by simply mixing some Vit-E oil with about 25 drops of Tea Tree oil and about 15 drops of liquid echinacea concentrate (available at health food stores) – I mix all of it up in a little glass bottle and apply it several times throughout the day until the sores are gone. Thereafter, I use this mixture whenever I feel one of the sores beginning to form to “nip it in the bud.”

2) You need to exfoliate your lips to remove the dead skin so that the lip balms/treatments you use are actually able to penetrate the lip tissue in order for them to work. If they are just sitting on top of the lips, they’re not going to be effective.

3) You need to use a good, hydrating and moisturizing lip treatment and/or lip balm that will actually penetrate the lip tissue and not some waxy product (i.e.: Chapstick, Blistex, Carmex, etc) that is just going to sit on the surface of the lips – those help protect against chapping and windburn if your lips are already healthy, but it ain’t going to do a damn thing to fix a problem like you describe!

I know you’ve probably tried everything under the sun, but I would like to recommend one more for you to try: “Poutlandish” by Dermadoctor. At $28, it’s expensive, but a little goes a long way and – the most important thing is – IT WORKS!!! It was developed by dermatologists to treat patients with severely dry lips caused from taking Accutane therapy. Poutlandish worked for those patients even when stuff like Aquaphor and other heavy-duty lip balms failed – click here to read the product info from Dermadoctor as well as customer reviews: http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?AID=4210&productid=854 and click here to read reviews from MUA: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=61450/POUTlandish/DERMAdoctor/Lip_Treatments/

I also think you might find Skinceuticals Anti-Oxidant Lip Repair to be helpful, as well (personally, I apply the Skinceuticals stuff, then apply a layer of the Poutlandish and I’m good for most of the day, only needing to touch up once after lunch to keep my lips hydrated, moisturized and COMFORTABLE!).

If you don’t want to invest the money in these products until/unless you know they work, please send me a PM because I have an offer to make you.

4) I’m sure you already know this, but you need to drink plenty of water. It also might be helpful if you began taking a hyaluronic acid/collagen supplement orally to begin repairing your lips from the inside out. I think I may have already offered this advice to you, but during all of the lip plumping experiments where numerous EDS members have begun taking these pills, there have been frequent reports of a “side effect” whereby these supplements have suddenly completely cured their chronically dry, chapped lips virtually overnight! The added benefit of taking these pills is that it should also help plump up your lips, thereby helping to diminish the appearance of those “lip wrinkles” you mentioned. Unfortunately, I have yet to

Again, I’m sure you are skeptical about this but please PM me to find out more about that special offer I mentioned in #3 above.

I am obsessive about keeping my lips in tip-top shape, although I realize that I am fortunate not to be plagued with the type of lip dryness, chapping, peeling, cracking that I have read about here and on MUA. Even so, I’m fanatical about trying out new lip balms or treatments and researching ways to keep my lips healthy so I do feel uniquely qualified to offer you the above advice. Again, I realize the products I’ve recommended are costly, especially since you don’t know if they’ll work for you so PLEASE PM ME!!! to work out an arrangement for you to try this stuff first.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
from a sight it suggested using dishwashing liquid to rub the fungi or whatevery away, and then use petroleum jelly to keep the moisture out. Fungi needs moisture to live so well it goes.
However wen i used it it helped at the start but i might of had an allergic reaction or something and it screwed up my skin were i put da dishwashing liquid. So you could try it cause on the site it says to have a really high rate of getting rid of it.
Not certain whether its just a hoax thou and i got screwed over:P.
Good luck if you do try it otherwise hope it goes
higig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
You may use lip treatment such as kiehl's lip balm.
irka
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 am      Reply with quote
I will give you the easiest, pain free,money saving way out there-honey.Honey is very moisturizing plus...antiseptic.It has saved me from some unbelievable lip dramas,usually in one night.This is what you do-slather a bit of honey(it will melt on your skin and spread) on your lips and got to bed(remembering not to role too much while you sleep Very Happy )I guarantee this will work.
Good luck))
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I also recommend taking an HA supplement. I am taking one that includes collagen (bio-cell)as well as HA and I have noticed a huge improvement in the appearance of my lips. Nice and plump, no longer dry or chapped at all!

Thanks Carekate...it was your post that convinced me to try this Dancing

5% products discount

Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
irka - I'm going to try the honey tonight! all natural & cheap solution- I hope! Smile

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |