Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How Long Does Liquid Foundation Stay Good?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
afterglow

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:50 am      Reply with quote
The foundation I've worn for many years has been discontinued and, although I've spent a lot of money trying to find something else, I haven't been able to find anything I like as well. So I went to drug stores all over the city and bought about 30 bottles of the discontinued makeup, enough to last me at least 6-7 years.

I read somewhere that, if liquid foundation jars aren't opened, they might last for years. I contacted the manufacturer but, of course, they want me to buy one of the replacement makeups; they told me they had discontinued my makeup years ago, that the 30 bottles I've just bought have to be at least three years old and they don't know how long it might be good.

Does anyone know what the shelf life of unopened liquid foundation might be? I was thinking about putting these jars in the refrigerator to help them last longer. Would that help? Thanks so much!
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:10 am      Reply with quote
depends on whether the foundation is oil or water based. On average water based lasts about a year, oil up to two.

oli
afterglow

Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:14 am      Reply with quote
Thanks. This is water based. What I'm using now is at least three years old because it was discontinued three years ago and it's working ok. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that not opening the jars and shaking them regularly helps keep them ok for as long as possible.
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:59 am      Reply with quote
the thing with cosmetic companies is that they are not clear about shelf life of products. I have bought a moisturiser and was told it's good for 1 year after opening, so does that then mean if i don't open it for 2 years it will still be ok? Just go by the texture and smell of the product, that's the best way to tell.

oli
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I must use a very light hand with my makeup because products last a very long time with me. I just threw away a Chantecaille cream foundation after about 4-5 years. It still looked and smelled fine but I'd finally accepted the shade was wrong and it'd never work for me unless I got a skin transplant. Smile I'd probably used it less than 10 x's in all that time.

I did manage to use up a liquid, water-based formula after about 4-5 years. It was just kept in the bathroom cabinet all that time and had eventually started to separate. Should have tossed it but I just shook it each time and had no problems - not that I'm suggesting others do the same. So keeping your new unopened bottles in the fridge and occasionally shaking them should help keep them fresh and usable. (For legal and economic purposes companies and their reps would never encourage you to stockpile.)
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:06 am      Reply with quote
what product are you using?
afterglow

Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using L'oreal Mattique Oil Free liquid foundation. I love it and was so upset to learn it was discontinued. According to L'oreal, all the bottled I have now are at least three years old because they stopped making it three years ago. The two bottles I'vehad open for the past six months are still fine, which is why I hoped the unopened bottles might last for years to come.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard that bacteria can grow in makeup if it's too old. I've read that products that you use on your face and lips you should toss after a year of being used and stuff you use on your eyes you should toss after six months (although I don't adhere to that one since it takes me so long to use up an eye shadow!), with the exception of mascara which should be replaced every three months. I've found the mascara bit to be true, as it starts to smell chemical-y after awhile.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I've heard that bacteria can grow in makeup if it's too old. I've read that products that you use on your face and lips you should toss after a year of being used and stuff you use on your eyes you should toss after six months (although I don't adhere to that one since it takes me so long to use up an eye shadow!), with the exception of mascara which should be replaced every three months. I've found the mascara bit to be true, as it starts to smell chemical-y after awhile.

You must be talking about the time from when it is opened. If it's airtight there's no bateria that can get in to grow. Unless something got in there during manufacturing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Yes, after being used. I said that. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |