Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Need Sunscreen Help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I am about to switch back to my old favorite sunscreen (Jan Marini's Daily antioxitant protection) because I think that my current favorite, Amore Pacific, is the cause of my recent breakout.

Anyway, I am concerned that the Jan Marini doesn't have adequate UVA protection. (the amore pacific is spf30/PA +++)

Here are the active ingrediants for the JM sunscreen:

Octinoxate- 7.5%, Octisalate- 5.0%, Benzophenone- 3-6%

Thanks!
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
As far as I know physical UV blockers are best & most effective, i.e. titanium oxide & zinc oxide.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that mineral sunscreens are the best. That being said, I have had a hard time finding sunscreens that work with my oily skin. I am not necessarily looking for a new sunscreen at this point. I just would like to know if this one has adequate uva protection.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Abejita
I remember this one being completely trashed here about a year ago. I can't remember why, either the UVA protection is very minimal or it's not photostable or maybe both. If you search back you might find it.

I've used it and don't find it very effective, still get a tan. Maybe you need to reapply it continually, which I didn't.

Some people seem to like it though.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm....I did a search and didn't find any trashing of it.

Now, I am more confused that ever!!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
I think it was in an *extremely* long Bad Bird thread so if you search for "Bad Bird" and "sunscreen" you might find it, but even then there are literally hours of pages to wade through.

As I say, I used it and didn't find it effective as a sunscreen, which is what it's supposed to do.

Sorry to disappoint you - sunscreens are the constant fly in the ointment of my skin routine too - hate them all.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
If those are the active ingredients then the Jan Marini sunscreen ABSOLUTLY does NOT offer enough UVA protection. None of those ingredients offer protection against the complete UVA range. Mad

Molly the reason you got a tan with this product is that it lets through plenty of the tanning UVA rays!! The same rays that cause skin cancer and premature aging.

I can see why this one was completly trashed!!
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
abejita wrote:
I am about to switch back to my old favorite sunscreen (Jan Marini's Daily antioxitant protection) because I think that my current favorite, Amore Pacific, is the cause of my recent breakout.

Anyway, I am concerned that the Jan Marini doesn't have adequate UVA protection. (the amore pacific is spf30/PA +++)

Here are the active ingrediants for the JM sunscreen:

Octinoxate- 7.5%, Octisalate- 5.0%, Benzophenone- 3-6%

Thanks!

The most luxurious feeling sunscreen I've ever tried was Amore Pacific SPF23/PA++, but I didn't feel it had enough protection for me (ppd of 4-Cool. But now, since they have the spf30/PA+++ which is PPD>8 I really want to try it again.

abejita did you try the earlier AP spf23 and if so, how does the feel of it compare to the new SS? I'm assuming oilier as well?
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
I got a sample of the spf 23 and when I purchased it, they had upped it to spf 30. I didn't feel a difference. It is an excellent sunscreen. It may or may not be the cause of my breakout. I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Also, I was working in the yard one day and I accidently put on my AP sunscreen instead of my waterproof sunscreen and the AP stayed put all day and I didn't get a hint of a sunburn.

I am starting to suspect that this whole thread has been pointless. I think that my actual breakout was triggered by stopping my proheal serum and starting to use SC serum. I used the SC serum for about a month when my breakout started. When I went back to the proheal, my face started to clear up. Who knows...it would make life a lot easier if I could use the AP sunscreen with confidence about its UVA protection.

Liz
FoxyMama1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I am in search of a good sunscreen too. I have had problems getting my usual sunscreen which is Biophora from my local laser clinic, so I ordered the JM and didn't like it a bit. Gave me spots.

Just ordered the MD Formulations tinted version, and hoping for the best. Has anyone used MD Formulations sunscreen and liked it??

Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |