Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Hard white lump on face!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
weaholt
5% products discount

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have had a small, hard white spot on my face for years. I used to find myself picking it without thinking and making it sore - I could never get much out of it though - the consistency was too thick. It is not a white head, I'm sure of that. Over the years it has started to get bigger - very slowly though. I can pinch my cheek between my thumb and finger and feel the hard contents

I just wondered whether anyone had any ideas about what it actually is and how to treat it?

thanks
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Weaholt,
I think thats whats on the side of my right thigh. Its a raised bump and hard inside, about the size of a kinda large pimple. I went to the derm, because I couldn't get anything out of it, even after taking a needle to it, and he said it was an ingrown hair!!! Well, that ingrown hair has been there for about 6 years!! He also said if I shave it or pick it that it would get bigger. Well, I haven't picked it but I am not going to skip that one part shaving and it hasn't gotton any bigger. I just hate the looks of it when I am in a bathing suit.
weaholt
5% products discount

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
hhhmmm...I don't think mine's an ingrown hair, I don't really have much facial hair, even the downy stuff! Bad Grin ....it's strange, I've done nothing but play with it since posting this thread about it!! It will be red tomorrow! Confused
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
I had something similar on my forehead. It was small, shiny under my skin, and I couldn't stand not knowing what it was . I took a needle, poked the skin over the bump so it made a tiny hole. It came out ~pretty easily~ it looked like a tiny white pearl.

I am NOT advocating an excavation of your cheek with a needle. Its probably nothing, but I might get it looked at by a derm before it got any bigger (small scar now vs. biggger scar later)

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:43 am      Reply with quote
I don't think mine is an ingrown hair either, thats what I'm sayin. I have put aha on it to try to exforliate the top layer so maybe it would come out but no luck. I just think if it was an ingrown hair it would have come out by now.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
It could be a sebaceous (?) spelling cyst. I would go see a diff derm my husband has one on his back and it finally drained but he had to go and have it done and it never came back
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
A doctor who dosen't know much about skin could think it's an ingrown hair but this sounds like Sebacious Hyperplasia to me. It generally happens to people with oily skin as they get older...got my first one in my early 30's.

The best thing to do would be to go to a laser specalist who has a Levulan laser. This is the only laser I've ever heard of that has had any success in getting rid of some of them. If you allow a doctor to cut it out it will most likely scar and most likely grow back.

Retin-A has made one I have on my cheek get smaller. If I press on it I can feel it but it's no longer visible.
CyndiK.
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
My reply to another topic fits this as well...I believe Hyfrecator machines are fairly common in dermatologist’s offices...just have 'em zapped. HTH

Quote:
I've gotten them occasionally and was told they're hereditary. Oh, and they don't really “pop”; save your skin and the frustration. My Derm zaps things such as this (tags, clogged pores, broken capillaries!) when I go for office visits...my favorite part...he uses some electronic do-hicky attached to his wall with a cord and wand (I affectionately call it the Annihilator 4000)...anyway, hope you can find a Derm. that has one; it’s so quick and easy (and included in my standard office visit fee). Great for things that surface as they will.....
Called my Derm's office..the zapper is called a Hyfrecator.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:
A doctor who dosen't know much about skin could think it's an ingrown hair but this sounds like Sebacious Hyperplasia to me. It generally happens to people with oily skin as they get older...got my first one in my early 30's.

The best thing to do would be to go to a laser specalist who has a Levulan laser. This is the only laser I've ever heard of that has had any success in getting rid of some of them. If you allow a doctor to cut it out it will most likely scar and most likely grow back.

Retin-A has made one I have on my cheek get
smaller. If I press on it I can feel it but it's no longer visible.

Donna, could you tell me more about this? After my second baby, I started getting these. The derm used an "electric needle" and it takes about a month or two to heal. It's painful and leaves an ugly red mark AND they do come back!
CyndiK.
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Weaholt~ the responses show you have options. I've had several unmoving white bumps/Sebaceous Hyperplasia removed (and they've not returned in the three years since) with the commonly found hyphractor/"electric needle". This cheap in-office procedure left a mark that looked like a minor zit that healed in a week. My mother has had the same experience w/ this procedure. If this simple solution no longer worked or they came back quickly -results always vary- I'd definitely check out the laser mentioned.

Incidentally, when I had my first one, my dermatologist diagnosed it and said they were hereditary but asked what moisturizer I was using which at the time was Eucerin w/ 15 spf...she said that would exacerbate the problem (can't remember the reason why) and suggested I switch to Olay daily w/ spf.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Janie,

I don't really know what more to tell you. Why don't you google it or go to Pubmed.gov and it may answer questions you have.

CyndiK,
The doctor's I've talked to about this have been Internests or surgeons and must not have had it. I haven't mentioned it to my Derm, by the time I get to him I have other more "pressing" issues. Wink BTW, I'd never used moisturizer or foundation on my face or other places they have appeared.

I googled the machine you mentioned and could only find general information, mostly put out by the manufacturer. Hate it when that happens.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
I dont know if this was mentioned in any of the above posts (yes, I did read through them all Very Happy ) but it could just be a fat deposit. My brother had developed some sort of lump on his back. It grew from the size of a dime to that of a nickle. The doctors said that it wasn't anything to worry about, but if it bothered him, he could get it removed (cut out).

Just throwing an idea out there Smile
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks!
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
CyndiK. wrote:
Weaholt~ the responses show you have options. I've had several unmoving white bumps/Sebaceous Hyperplasia removed (and they've not returned in the three years since) with the commonly found hyphractor/"electric needle". This cheap in-office procedure left a mark that looked like a minor zit that healed in a week. My mother has had the same experience w/ this procedure. If this simple solution no longer worked or they came back quickly -results always vary- I'd definitely check out the laser mentioned.

Incidentally, when I had my first one, my dermatologist diagnosed it and said they were hereditary but asked what moisturizer I was using which at the time was Eucerin w/ 15 spf...she said that would exacerbate the problem (can't remember the reason why) and suggested I switch to Olay daily w/ spf.

Thanks, Cindi! Guess what moisturizer I use? Creme de la mer-I bet that's it! I really didn't have a problem until I used it.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
I had a hard lump on my back a few years ago. It started out fairly small then eventually grew into about the size of a thumbnail. The doctor said it was a sebaceous cyst and wasn't harmful so the decision was mine. Eventually it produced a baby brother so it was time for them to go. Biopsies showed that they were as originally diagnosed - cysts.

My FIL developed lumps on his face and hands. They were fat deposits and were much closer to the surface than my cysts. Eventually they went away on their own.
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:31 am      Reply with quote
i had a small one on my forhead for years....Even a derm couldnt zap it well...but then one beautician once just pricked it with a needle and away it went....i almost couldnt feel it......I did something similar to another bump(not on my face.....and dont ask me where!).....and after some pricking with a sterilized pin and squeezing...IT finally gave up Dancing . But I wouldnt dare that on my face. Shame on you
primaballerina

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I have the same thing up on my cheekbone where I rub in blush or bronzer so we know how I got it! So anyways, its been there for like six months and Ive messed with it endlessly to no avail... Ive even tried the needle thing but cant get NOTHING out of it! Drives me nuts! What it is & lets assume u have is simply a severly clogged pore that we squeezed at it & attacked it so much that the skin covering it has almost scarred there for you cant force it out! So finally the other day at the mirror I gave it a quick squeeze not expecting anything like always but I noticed the skin covering it was whiter than usual which meant it was very close to the surface finally... I gave it one more squeeze & it blasted out with so much force so easily all of a sudden... It was so gratifying I couldnt believe how much was sitting in there all that time and the colours of it.. you could see how long it had been there.3 days later.. its building again!!!!! Mad Mad Mad

Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:49 am      Reply with quote
This sounds similar to a white bump that I have on my face, but I'm only 16 so Sebaceous Hyperplasia seems unlikely. I also don't think it's an ingrown hair because I barely have peach fuzz on my face. I've been exfoliating my face for some time now, but the white pimple-sized bump won't go away. It hasn't gotten bigger either, but it definitely isn't getting any smaller.

Any ideas what I might have? I'm afraid to try the needle prick.
mf032584

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Don't use a needle i had one that i thought was a pimple but months past by and it was still there well one day i got so annoyed with it that i took a needle and poked it then squeezed it and white stuff came out so i thought that was it but i made it worst now is like double its size and is swollen so im going to go to the dermatologist and see if he can tell me what i can do.
SandyT
5% products discount

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
I have several of these hard, "never can get them out" hard bumps under the skin on my face. I have had lasers/retin A/ microderma/peels and nothing has gotten rid of them. I would love to hear of something that would rid these things. It is not ingrown hairs nor cosmetic/moisturizer caused hard lumps. I am so glad this has been brought up...but hope there is someone that other than the original poster that has this on the face has had some luck in getting rid of these horrible things. Thanks so much for your replies!!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
I took a needle, poked the skin over the bump so it made a tiny hole. It came out ~pretty easily~ it looked like a tiny white pearl.

That is milia. I do the same. Sometimes I can't squeeze it out so I poke around, apply alcohol to sterilize and irritate the area and mild inflammation causes it to pop out. Some people just get milia.

I also had a larger, harder lump that I got removed on my arm. It was a dermatofibroma. It was quite deep and even though I had it removed a couple of months ago, I sometimes get twinges in that area. The scar is still red. I apply vit. E oil at night and copper peptides in the morning. It will be interesting to see how long it takes, if ever, to go away. It doesn't bother me though and I wear sleeveless tops.
cortenia
5% products discount

Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
I have one of these on my face and was told it was a "fat" deposit with calcium...whatever it is I have never tried fishing it out but have noticed that over time it has vanished....

Not a ganglion which I also have....

Love learning from others on this site.. Laughing

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I also have a mysterious bump. Its not a zit, though I do have acne I know its not a zit beause I have enough of those to know that its not. Its about the size of a big one though. Its not bothersome, it doesn't hurt, just strange and i don't know what it is. I pricked it with a needle and this gooey white stuff came out. It wasn't a liquid, it was more like a gel. Anyone who just so happens to read this with some sort of idea what it could be is free to tell me because i have no clue. If age matters I'm 13 years old.
Kev1982

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:44 am      Reply with quote
I Have a white spot towards the front/top of my head,its white and pretty hard,Had it for years,but getting more concerned about it coz my hairs thinning,and dont want people noticing it,Is there anyone way of getting rid of it,anything to use? its not huge,probably half size of pea if that,would they docs being able to get rid of it,and would it leave a noticeable scar if they did
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
I had something similar on my forehead. It was small, shiny under my skin, and I couldn't stand not knowing what it was . I took a needle, poked the skin over the bump so it made a tiny hole. It came out ~pretty easily~ it looked like a tiny white pearl.

I am NOT advocating an excavation of your cheek with a needle. Its probably nothing, but I might get it looked at by a derm before it got any bigger (small scar now vs. biggger scar later)

Probably milia, harmless but annoying.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |