Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Single Parents in School?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi wonderful EDSr's. I am writing on behalf of my amazing younger brother. He just recently divorced a woman who is very manipulative and they have a two year old son. My brother loves his son more than any father I've ever seen and he is a really good dad, a true natural. It's the mother we all worry about. She often puts her own needs above anyone else's and her son is no exception. Mad Anyway, her leaving my brother was really bad timing for him. He gets to keep his son over the coming summer but to have this benefit, he has to work 40 hours a week at a low paying job to take care of him plus pay child support to the mother (yes, I know, I know, even when she isn't taking care of him! Rolling Eyes ) The problem is that he also has to finish his final semester of school and study for his GRE to get into grad school in the fall. He doesn't know how he is going to accomplish all of this. Are there any other courageous single parents on our forum who currently go to college and have figured out ways to get outside help as student parents? Any advice and tips will be greatly appreciated and forwarded to my bro. Thank you ladies!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
In my school there are tons and tons of scholarships out there for single parents....He should look into that. The committee would probably admire a dad taking on the role...

I do know a friend who did college with a young child...she luckily had the help of her mom to babysit and pay some bills.

Churches usually have the most inexpensive babysitting/daycare facilities...Or he can arrange with a friend who has kids to take turns?

i'm out of ideas...oh yeah, if the b*tch is that bad why doesn't he petition for full custody??

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
The reason she gets away with all her crap is because she has a wealthy family willing to give her all the resources she needs while my brother does not. Churches are a good idea, I'll pass that on, thanks!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
About 4 years ago... when I was 8 months pregnant, I was diagnosed with a herninated disc in my back that would require surgery once I delivered, I was not able to work because of my back injury, I was going through a divorce, and in grad school (and I had NO family around to help). Life was not good. Four months after Harrison was born, I had back surgery (I had it during my spring break so I wouldn't miss class). Honestly, on many days I didn't know how I would get through it.

At night when the rest of the world slept, I would be up doing research and typing papers....many nights, I got no sleep. My son was a baby, which was somewhat easier because he slept alot...but we all know a 2 year old is active and require alot of attention, so your brother will be very sleep deprived!

I know there are student loans available to grad students. He should check with his grad school about TA positions, it seems like they make a little money and may get some help with tutition. Check your states' college foundation, the North Carolina site has tons of available scholarships listed. I was surprised to learn that many scholarships go unused because people (myself included) are too lazy to submit the paperwork.

With the GRE, I would suggest a formal GRE prep class to assist him in preparing for the class. Basically, they teach you how to take the test, in addition to prepping the material. It was one of the best things I did!

Throughout all of this, I had to constantly remind myself that "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger". It would have been so easy to say..."fu#! it I quit", but you can't do that. This degree will help your brother provide a better life for himself and his son!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, Chrissie. I didn't know there were prep classes for GRE! That's good advice. He already has scholarships and is a TA, so he is ok financially for school. His main issue is living expenses and time with his son for the summer while preparing for next year. He is also doing all this on his own and we try to pitch in when we can. I don't know how you did it, I am so amazed by you!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Your brother is actually quite lucky to have you looking out for him. I really would suggest to him to look into student loans. They are interest-free while in school, and the interest doesn't start until you've been out of school for six months. I really wish him good luck with this!!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
pnw: in my school, they have this day care thing for graduate students who have kids (I dont have kids, hence never use the facility). But I heard this facility is pretty good. your brother should check with his school, maybe they have the same facility.
As far as the GRE general test, as I remeber when I took it, was not too terribly hard. So he should not be stressing out about it.
i hope things work out for him.
cheers
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, roadtonowhere, he'll be relieved to hear that. His school does have a daycare program as well, but it's not free and is still too expensive for him.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |