Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Yoga VS Pilates
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't want to hijack the bra thread, so I'm starting a new one.

All this talk about yoga firming you up and 'fullifying' your chest has got me really intrigued.

I did Callanetics (if you can remember what that is, quite popular in the late 80's/early 90's) and it did shrink my thigh circumference in record time. All my friends here are now doing Pilates, and I'd like to know what y'all's thoughts are on it.

Someone told me with yoga and pilates you really need a real-life instructor, that you can't possibly do it correctly by watching a DVD. I guess to some extent that claim may be valid, especially if the ex are totally new to you. But I see no harm in being guided by a DVD for someone experienced.

Anyways - back to my question: those of you who've done yoga and pilates, how do you think they compare? TIA! Smile

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
I tried pilates first and didn't like it. I would say if you're interested in pilates go to a class, because most of the DVDs out there are trendy and too hard for beginners. I think pilates has more repitition, more emphasis on abs, etc., while yoga is a whole body work out.
keziah
5% products discount

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:18 am      Reply with quote
yeah, i think your right, V...

yoga is much better than pilates.... Smile
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:43 am      Reply with quote
i think it depends mostly on what you want.

pilates emphasizes a supported body at all times, so you're building the core needed to have active muscles.

the goal is the "dancer" body, tall straight, supported through back and ribcage and hips. the muscles are all engaged.

yoga emphasizes a relaxed body, releasing all tension, creating long lean muscles.

for me i think the key point is the belly, yoga would have the belly relaxed, pilates would have the belly engaged and active-contracted.

both are good for flexibility and body health. what appeals more?
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
I like pilates. Alot. But then again I was a professional dancer for years. I took classes but I have a favorite video. Denise Austin Pilates. The one that has 2 twenty minute workouts. I really like Denise Austin, but I don't like any of her yoga DvDs. I have taken both yoga and pilates classes though so maybe that is why I can do the dvd. I've done her pilates dvd for years! My mother was a yoga instructor way before I was born and always trying to get me to go to more yoga but I really prefer pilates, and I prefer dvds to classes. I'm still trying to find a good yoga dvd though.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Is there any reason why someone cuold not do both? Obviously not same day, but say do each one a couple times a week...??

Also, I hear a lot of people say they do yoga 2 or 3 times a week.. is that really enough to be effective? Somehow I always though you would need to do it daily to see the effect (ie flexibility and strength)
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
Is there any reason why someone cuold not do both? Obviously not same day, but say do each one a couple times a week...??

Good point, I do pilates, but plan on starting a yoga video today! I don't plan on giving up my pilates though! I have noticed in a lot of my pilates videos, they say it is a yoga/pilates combination (obviously with more pilates). There are a lot of these mixed videos available. I know my two Jennifer Kries Pilates videos mention a small yoga segment. Also, I'm pretty sure you can see results with doing it 2-3 times a week. I talked to my mom this morning (she used to teach it some 25 years ago). She said she taught 3 one hour classes a week. She weighed 102 pounds at the time and she always talks about that being the time she had her "best body". For some reason I'm more of a daily person as well. I strive to do it everyday, I feel as if I won't get results if I don't.
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:48 am      Reply with quote
i have done both...

i would agree with the comment of pilates being for a dancer's body...i danced when i was younger & all of the principles of engaged muscles (particularly the larger core muscles, abs, hams, lats) and lengthening at all times is very much present. i liked pilates because there are many different options for exercises on both the mat & on machines and resistence can be added. you could also control the speed of the exercises & actually get a bit of a cardio workout.

yoga is also a great workout, but with a different mindset, i've found, it's much more about being completely in-tune with your body & trying to get to a meditative state (even for the vigorous forms of yoga). there is an emphasis on a connection to a higher being (ie. the opening chant asking for permission to practice yoga) - which some may or may not be into.

i've found similarities in individual poses between yoga & pilates, so for me, personally, switching between the 2 is fairly easy because i'm pretty aware of where my body (ie. placement, lining up) has to be.

if trying pilates for the first time, definitly go to a class...a private even if you can swing it...they should teach you about the importance of the breath & how to breathe when practicing.

hth.
lamicuz.

i feel like doing some 100's & stretching
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I love Pilates. It is more fun when you have someone to do it with. I use tapes but meet friends at the gym 2-3 times a week to do a tape together. It has slimmed my waist without weight loss.

I like the tapes by Jillian Hessel she is not too tough. I find it fun and it works.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
I love doing Pilates. I do use dvds at home now but in the beginning I went to classes so as to get the positioning and breathing right. Occasionally I go back for a refresher course.

I'm thinking of trying yoga. I think it'd be a good addition to the pilates.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
I like pilates. Alot. But then again I was a professional dancer for years. I took classes but I have a favorite video. Denise Austin Pilates. The one that has 2 twenty minute workouts. I really like Denise Austin, but I don't like any of her yoga DvDs.

Me too! I love pilates. I actually prefer it to yoga myself because I feel that it gets me into shape much faster. Which video do you have? I have the one with 2, twenty minutes that includes a yoga session first, and the second is pilates. I really like the second one. The yoga one is great when I don't want something so intense since it doesn't make me sweat and instead of feeling like I got just a workout, I feel relaxed because it's more like stretching to me than anything else.

Right now my favorite is the Windsor pilates ab workout. The others in the series are okay, but if I do the ab one 2-3 times per week, my tummy stays completely flat. For an overall pilates workout I prefer the Denise Austin one. I've been meaning to take some classes but I just haven't found the time quite yet. Whenever I head to the gym it's to get in a 45-60 minute aerobic workout.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:07 am      Reply with quote
I also have the Winsor abs one and switch off with the Gaiam Jillian Hessel ones. It does work for me.
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99... here is a link to the Denise Austin video I was talking about. It sounds like yours but mine is quite a few years old now and the pilates sections is 1st with the yoga 2nd. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000059H6M/qid=1145656506/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-4332997-2833455?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130
Could you post a link to the winsor pilates ab workout you're talking about? I can't find it anywhere on amazon! I did quite a few searches and I'm not sure if I'm finding it. I would like to try that one out.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Yep, your's is different. Here is the one I have, and it's older too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005A005/qid=1145659212/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-5513773-2595115?s=video&v=glance&n=404272

And here is the Windsor DVD's (I think you migh have to buy them as a set, or check on ebay):

http://www.winsorpilates.com/special_offers/index.php?PHPSESSID=630e737d69d53a0988a20e5bdcb1b176
betty77
5% products discount

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
I used to do a proper Hatha yoga class a while ago and I always thought the teacher was in her late 30's early 40's until one day she told us that she didn't take up yoga until she was in her early 30's and had been practicing for 30 years... yip she was in her 60's and look 20 years younger at least. You could see she had some wrinkles if you looked at her really close up and she had some grey hair but she looked great. I imagine she probably had good genes too!
So I'd vote for yoga on the anti aging front!
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I couldn't help it. I just ordered two dvds (denise and windsor). I want to lose 10 lbs and get ready for summer. Mad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:
I couldn't help it. I just ordered two dvds (denise and windsor). I want to lose 10 lbs and get ready for summer. Mad

If you stick with them I guarantee you won't regret your purchase! Doing them consistently is the hard part. Laughing
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Is this the winsor abs video? Is Daisy Fuentes the instructor? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009VMASK/qid=1145722320/sr=8-4/ref=pd_bbs_4/102-9512218-7576968?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130
Is yours 18 minutes long? Seems long for an ab workout! I'm used to the ten minute ones or "8 Minute Abs". 18 minutes is probably what I need though since I'm not seeing any new developments with continuously using the shorter ones. Do you use it everyday? I know that's what 8 minute abs says to do but I can't imagine doing an 18 minute ab workout everyday!
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:48 am      Reply with quote
They have abs/glutes classes at my club and those are 45 minutes long so 18 minutes is probably right.

I have back problems and it due to weak muscles from carrying a child (I was 37 when I had my last child) so I was wondering if Pilates might be the way to go for me since it strengthens your core.

My doctor wanted me to go through Physical Therapy first for 3 months before I started Pilates. But my new ins won't deal with pre-existing conditions until I've been with them for 6 months. I don't want to wait that long to get into shape. I don't a beginning Pilates class to would too hard.

What do you gals think?
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:55 am      Reply with quote
You know, it really sucks, but I wouldn't go against your doctors orders. Maybe you should get a second opinion. Even though a beginners pilates class really shouldn't be that tough, you're still going against what your doctor says. That's a tough situation. I think you should get a second opinion, but if you really want to try it out, maybe you should (no one can stop you after all) and just do it really slow and don't do anything you think you can't do. Good Luck!
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:58 am      Reply with quote
If I were you, I'll listen to my doctor - go through Physical Therapy first for 3 months before I started Pilate. You'll be surprised how intense some beginning classes are, especially if you already have back problem. Go for a walk, light stretch..... Don't push yourself too hard. You might not see any damage now but it'll get you later. The older you get, the more you need to listen to your body!! Take it easy, you have plenty of time to get in shape.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi Pumpingmummy,
I have bought yoga videos in the past in the hopes of learning the moves and found that they weren't as instructive as I needed for a beginner. I found this wonderful book that explains all of the moves with photos and provides a range from easy to difficult, including routines. It also explains the different types of hatha yoga and their various focuses. It is called "Yoga: Teach Yourself Visually" by maranGraphics. Also, in my latest bookstore flyer they announced a "Complete Idiots Guide to Yoga" is coming out in May. Once I learn the poses, then I will buy videos with routines as I think they are funner than books.
pipi_o
5% products discount

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:54 am      Reply with quote
I love pilates...I use windsor pilates dvd and I have lost more than 20lbs within 3 months.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:41 am      Reply with quote
pipi_o wrote:
I love pilates...I use windsor pilates dvd and I have lost more than 20lbs within 3 months.

Pipi_o - Can you elaborate on your routine?
pipi_o
5% products discount

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:17 am      Reply with quote
I did Winsor Pilates Maximum Burn Super Sculpting & Body Slimming about 2 times per week, and Winsor Pilates Abs Sculpting 3 times per week. I took some rest on saturday and sunday. I wasn't dieting and I ate whatever I wanted. But one thing that I noticed ever since I started doing pilates, I ate less than I normally did before. Now I only do 1 or 2 times perweek just to keep my current body shape. Wink
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |