Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
How pure is Astara?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
I am interested in the Astara range of products and sent them an e mail to get the full ingredient lists for the products to no avail. Does anyone know if the moisturisers or masks are paraben free? Reviews in makeupalley are so-so... I have seen a few reviews coming through on this site - does anyone have any good or bad experience with this range?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
It looks like beauty.com (I can't post the link) has complete ingredient lists for most of the Astara products. Some but not all of the products have parabens listed.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you TheresaL, I'll have a quick look now.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I found the ingredient lists and it looks like most of the range is paraben free and has a good mix of vitamins and herbal extracts. I might go ahead and order some of this... I am trying to decide between Astara and Yonka and this one looks more pure. I would still love to hear any comments from any Astara users. Thanks again, the link was very helpful Very Happy
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've only tried the blue flame mask and I liked it.... Smile EDS does have some samples so you can always ask (that's how i got the mask sample)

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
i tried green papaya mask, cleanser gele and aha toning essence. Cleanser is pretty good, although dont think it is made for my dry skin. toning essence feels kinda tingly, and I am not too wowed by it. I use eminence and body deli mask, so comparing them to astara mask, hm............. astara mask is not too impressive. I still like eminence and body deli more.
I got my samples from a local pharmaca. If you have pharmaca where you are living, you should go there adn ask for samples.
cheers
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Funny you should ask this as I was looking at their website last week, I try to use natural/organic items and steer clear of the nastys if possible.

I found this on their website...

Astara is an energetic botanical line, containing highly active natural ingredients formulated in a concentrated aloe base. All plant sources are organically grown and harvested using ecologically correct methods as much as is available. The highest quality botanicals are sourced from various worldwide locations.

Great I thought, but then I found....

Astara products typically contain enough chemical preservatives to have a three-year shelf life.

I thought that was a bit of a contradiction so I emailed them asking how products claiming to be organic/natural have enough preservative to make them last 3 years.

I didn't get a reply but it's put me off the range.

Sarah
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
Funny you should ask this as I was looking at their website last week, I try to use natural/organic items and steer clear of the nastys if possible.

I found this on their website...

Astara is an energetic botanical line, containing highly active natural ingredients formulated in a concentrated aloe base. All plant sources are organically grown and harvested using ecologically correct methods as much as is available. The highest quality botanicals are sourced from various worldwide locations.

Great I thought, but then I found....

Astara products typically contain enough chemical preservatives to have a three-year shelf life.

I thought that was a bit of a contradiction so I emailed them asking how products claiming to be organic/natural have enough preservative to make them last 3 years.

I didn't get a reply but it's put me off the range.

Sarah

thats is very interesting... coz i thought their products were preservative free.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again, I had the same experience as you sarahb, I e mailed them to ask about parabens and did not get a reply. I then asked on the live help at EDS and she said they don't mention any parabens in the ingredient list. I took a chance and ordered the light moisturiser, but I am wondering if I did the right thing after hearing that their products have a shelf life of three years. Could essential oils preserve a product for that long? I would like to believe that EDS has not taken on a dishonest brand...
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

Essential oils would not be classed as chemical preservatives and I got that from their own website..

Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Sarah
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I saw that on their website, but I know that some brands preserve by special blends of essential oils, or they use a Japanese honeysuckle, but three years seems a long time... It is so annoying that you can not get a full ingredient list on the Astara website...
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
But essential oils or honeysuckle are not 'chemical preservatives'.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Smoothskin do you think that not all the ingredients are list for each item because it says 'key ingredients'?

Sarah
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, you are right, sorry, I missed the word chemical... Well, if you look at the ingredient lists some of them appear to be complete whereas others state that they are key ingredients... I can't spot any chemical preservatives in the ingredient lists I have seen now on various websites, so either they are not complete or I read somewhere that you don't have to disclose ingredient content below a certain percentage, so you can leave out parabens as long as you don't state that the product is paraben free.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Sounds all very sneaky to me. Sad
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
Sounds all very sneaky to me. Sad

i agree
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, this should be such an easy thing to find out, if only the company would reply to our e mails... I have now e mailed EDS to find out once and for all so hopefully we will have a firm answer soon and I will let you all know. I am so glad to see that other people are also concerned with the ingredients that go into their skin care and the paraben free trend is getting stronger. Caudalie has just reformulated all their products so they are paraben free and I know of a few other companies that are trying to do the same.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I would expect the whole no-reply thing from smaller companies, but I've recently emailed decleor and they haven't replied.

You'd think companies that are naturally based and pride themselves on that would make access to their ingredients a lot easier. It just makes everything so suspicious when they only list active ingredients.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi miranets, I'll give Astara the benefit of the doubt and see if they might still answer my e mail, but it has been more than a week... I completely agree that it should be easier for us to find out what the ingredients are. With Decleor, I know that their aromatic oils are truly pure with only natural ingredients. I hope you get the information you need.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I re-sent my email to Astara at the weekend. Makes you wonder why they have an email address if they're not going to answer.
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Please let me know if you hear anything from Astara and I will let you know if I hear anything Smile
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I have finally managed to get the answer to this through the EDS live help. They contacted their Astara rep who said that the products, including the ones which appear to be paraben free, contain 'a few grains of parabens' at a percentage of 0.03. So, now we know.
DiverChick
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
My hubby bought me a starter mask set a few years back. I think it has a seaweed exfoliant, a calming mask and heavy moisterizer. I absolutely loved the stuff, then the store he got it from went out of business. I just remember it making my face super soft, and the moisturizer was great.

I may try it again if we can figure this out!
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi DiverChick, I got some great help from EDS and got all my paraben-questions answered, is there anything else that you wanted to know about the range?
DiverChick
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:20 am      Reply with quote
SOrry, must have missed your previous response!

I just order the NuDerm set, so I'll wait to see how that goes before adding more products. I just remember thinking that my hubby finally got me something I love!!! I will probably try it again later!

Thanks!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |