Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Alternatives to Benzoyl Peroxide?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
I am 38 years old and have been dealing with acne for 8 years. I have had great success controlling my acne with a combination of Differin and benzoyl peroxide (either plain bp or bp+topical antibiotics). When I have tried to stop using the bp in the past my skin goes from rarely getting a pimple to bad breakouts within one month. I just tried this in October and by November my skin was breaking out, by mid-February I was so tired of getting pimples that I started using Duac(bp+clindamycin) again.

I would love to be able to give up the bp. I have sensitive skin and it is extremely difficult to keep it from getting irritated from the bp. I also have some concerns about the safetly of using bp and would like to try Vitamin C serums (IS clinical Pro-heal especially) but EDS, skinterra and theskincareinstiture all told me that Vitamin C and bp don't go together well.

Salicylic acid is not an option, it irritates my skin too much and according to the package insert for my Differin should not be used with Differin.

Does anyone have suggestiong about a product that I could use to replace the bp? My skin is sensitive, oily and dehydrated. Yes I have it all Laughing

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:03 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried tea tree oil products? Tea Tree Oil kills germs like BP, but it doesn't irritate the skin as much, AND it won't bleach your towels, yay!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Short answer~ daily gentle exfoliation and (yep) tea tree oil.

I threw away my BZ meds. a month ago. I've had a great month regarding lack of blemishes and improved clarity. Below are some of what I'm doing...based on reading a zillion experiences on this forum, using intuition and paying close attention to my skin everyday.
*Added 17% vitamin C serum in the a.m.
*Started OCM; nothing cleans my skin this well; thoroughly clean but not stripped and agitated.
*Added about 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil to my 6oz. toner (ZIA Sea Tonic Rosewater and Aloe). I shake well before each use and spritz liberally morning and night after cleansing and let it sink in. I read here that tea tree is about the equivalent of 5%BP. I also added about 1/2 teaspoon of lavender eo. (Actually I probably spritz this on about 4 imes throughout the day ~ keeps me skin calm and hydrated.)
*Upped my exfoliation a bit with gentle acid and enzyme masks that I cycle through during showers; Zia Ultimate Exfoliant, pumpkin, papaya, green apple and Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Facial Peel. Upped these from 3xs per week to daily.
*2-3 times per week applying an aspirin mask (3 aspirin, aloe gel, honey, brown sugar and heavy cream) left on for 10 minutes prior to shower. When I do this I use a fruit enzyme mask in the shower as to not overdue. Maybe you could try one aspirin to start...salicylic acid might work for you if you didn’t leave it on...but as a mask?
*Juice Blemish Serum about three nights this month (applied a thin layer all over after evening cleansing) when a breakout looked like it might happen. Very happy w/ this serum...but think it's a combination of everything I'm doing that's kept me clear, not just from full out blemishes but in my pores and more of a glow than blotchy redness.

Sounds like your skin is more sensitive than mine...but maybe something from my list (all pulled from this forum) will help. This is the longest I’ve been off BZ in years and I can see how irritating it was for my skin....then again I’ve changed a lot lately.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Have you ever considered Proactiv? Yeah, it's stil bp, but much gentler and an easy regimen to use (I have used the 3-piece system for years and my skin sounds similar to yours-- sensitive, dry, but oily around the nose). i swear by this stuff. I used to get The Big Ones, and now I don't even have to think about little ones. I still get one on my chin from time to time (hormones), but it will only hang around for a day or two.

Other than that, I'd say, yeah, Tea Tree Oil. I used to use the Body Shop line. I don't think it will be as effective as something medicated, though.

DHC sells some Olive Oil based products for acne. I've never used them, but it's worth getting info about. www.dhccare.com (I use the deep cleasning oil before Proactiv to get makeup off, and it also balances out some of the dryness that bp can cause).
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Tea Tree Oil is a much better topical application. I also like the homemade version of Dr Hauschka Cleansing Cream:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Followed by Witch Hazel as a toner and Jojoba Oil to moisturise, I have noticed a huge improvemnt in my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Tea Tree oil and aspirin masks Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Tea tree oil, I completly forgot about that one! Shock It seems like everyone has mentioned tea tree oil and it is something that I will seriously consider. For those of you using tea tree oil, what percentage do you use? Paula Begoun (BTW I apply a healthy dose of skepticism to everything she says) said that 5% or more is necessary, is this true? Would it be okay to mix tea tree oil with distilled water or my moisturizer? Also, is it okay to use tea tree oil during the day if I am going to be in the sun? I have heard that most EOs can cause photosensitivity.

In regards to the exfoliatiion I have been considering starting some kind of exfoliation. I have had bad reactions to AHAs in the past so I am reluctant to use those. I bought some Kanebo Cleanser and Silk Peeling Powder and plan to use those when my current cleanser (Kose Sekkesei) runs out. Kanebo cleansing is designed to microexfoliate everyday and then you use the silk peeling 1-3 times a week for extra exfoliation. The products seem to contain mostly enzyme exfolianting agents which I hope will work better for me. I think that using cleansers and masks to exfoliate as opposed to a product that I leave on might be a good idea.

Several of you mentioned aspirin masks. Maybe salicylic acid as a mask instead of a leave on treatment would work for me ,I never considered it before but it is worth trying. CyndiK what vitamin C serum are you using? The Juice Beauty Blemish serum sound great but has salicylic acid. Sad

I have been reading about OCM and have been tempted to try it but haven't worked up the nerve! For now I think I will stick with using my Shiseido cleansing oil and Kose. violetanne I agree about using cleansing oil, it does help. I have found that I feel my skin is clean after using the cleansing oil and I don't feel like I have to spend forever cleaning my face with the Kose. I might give the DHC oil a try once mine runs out. I looked at Proactiv and it seems like a BP cleanser, glycolic acid toner and 2.5% BP lotion. I might decide to use a lesser strength of BP (my current one is 5%). Can you buy just the lotion or do you have to buy the system? I don't think that the toner would work for me and I want to use an exfoliation cleanser. I looked at the DHC acne products and ingredient wise they don't work for me.

rosebud the DHCC has been one of those products that I have for 2 years now been meaning to get aroung to trying. I see that you have a homemade version. Is yours better for acne? Would it be okay to use the regular Dr Hauschka first to see if I like it then make my own?

Wow I have alot of questions don't I? You all have given me a lot to consider and I really appreciate all of your suggestions.
girlnextdoor
5% products discount

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:42 am      Reply with quote
CyndiK or anyone else:

Would the regimen you posted above be good for body acne as well? Has anyone tried the OCM on thier back or chest area. My daughter's (17)skin is a mess and with the change in the weather (Canada)suddenly she is all broken out on her back. She is very sensitive to BP and other drugstore products. Right now she uses Physoderm Body Wash but nothing substantial is happening. With warm weather and tank tops just around the corner you can imagine what a big deal this is. Any advice would be helpful!
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Try acnease.com. I've heard good things about it. Are you familiar with latherup.com ?
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:46 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
I am 38 years old and have been dealing with acne for 8 years. I have had great success controlling my acne with a combination of Differin and benzoyl peroxide (either plain bp or bp+topical antibiotics). When I have tried to stop using the bp in the past my skin goes from rarely getting a pimple to bad breakouts within one month. I just tried this in October and by November my skin was breaking out, by mid-February I was so tired of getting pimples that I started using Duac(bp+clindamycin) again.

I would love to be able to give up the bp. I have sensitive skin and it is extremely difficult to keep it from getting irritated from the bp. I also have some concerns about the safetly of using bp and would like to try Vitamin C serums (IS clinical Pro-heal especially) but EDS, skinterra and theskincareinstiture all told me that Vitamin C and bp don't go together well.

Salicylic acid is not an option, it irritates my skin too much and according to the package insert for my Differin should not be used with Differin.

Does anyone have suggestiong about a product that I could use to replace the bp? My skin is sensitive, oily and dehydrated. Yes I have it all Laughing

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried just topical antibiotics (the clindamycin without bp)?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:20 am      Reply with quote
TooInvolved the acnease is a oral supplement and I am only willing to use topical treatments. I looked at the latherup.com website they seem to have some nice products although nothing that would specifically seem to help with acne. Have you used any of their products (not necessarily for acne just in general)? If you have what do you think?

tinamarie8 in the past I have used topical erythromycin. It worked almost as well as the BP+antibiotic. I always seemed to have problems with the formulations of topical antibiotics, my skin felt sticky or it caused my sunscreen to flake, etc. Can anyone recommend a topical antibiotic that doesn't cause these problems? I could always get a prescription the next time I see my derm.
CyndiK.
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL~ I carefully chose MyChelle, The Perfect C Serum; love it, but think I'll eventually make my own. And I'm using Murad Essential-C Eye Cream; wear both during the day and neither have irritated me a bit.
http://www.mychelleusa.com/C_serum.htm

GirlNextDoor~ I can imagine OCM would be difficult to use on the back...without help from someone. But I would suggest spritzing a few times per day w/ a diluted Tea Tree Oil & lavender EO toner as I'm using to kill bacteria, sooth and heal. I haven't used the DIY aspirin toner...but if I had a breakout I'd make a batch up. I haven't used the Juice Beauty Blemish Serum enough to swear by it; but I do think it's gentle yet effective when I've used it overnight; I think it's gently enough that she could wear it day and night. A friend of mine once had an atypical for her sudden dramatic breakout and her doctor prescribed an oral antibiotic (just a weeks worth) that cleared it up pretty quick. hth

5% products discount

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I think I will try the OCM, of course I will have to apply it on her but with the reaction to BP and some other products it's worth a try and quite inexpensive. The problem with most acne treatments is that are relatively inexpensive for spot treatment but when you need to have them on a large area you have to choose carefully. It gets pretty pricey and most of them in the end don't do what they promise(ProActive) and cause more problems. She has tried some topical prescriptions and I guess the next trip to the derm we may have to go for an oral treatment. I'd like to stay with natural ingredients if possible so I'm going to the health food store for some tea tree oil etc.
I appreciate all the advice given and will keep you posted about the results.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have used md formulation's body spray for acne on my back. It works well and you don't have to worry about bleaching your clothes as you would with a BP product.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/md-formulations-vit-a-plu-p_2849.htm
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Try Juice Beauty Blemish Serum. It's amazing. I noticed a difference with one use.
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 6:50 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
TooInvolved the acnease is a oral supplement and I am only willing to use topical treatments. I looked at the latherup.com website they seem to have some nice products although nothing that would specifically seem to help with acne. Have you used any of their products (not necessarily for acne just in general)? If you have what do you think?

tinamarie8 in the past I have used topical erythromycin. It worked almost as well as the BP+antibiotic. I always seemed to have problems with the formulations of topical antibiotics, my skin felt sticky or it caused my sunscreen to flake, etc. Can anyone recommend a topical antibiotic that doesn't cause these problems? I could always get a prescription the next time I see my derm.

I have only ever used topical clindamycin, and IME it was not tacky or flaky.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Yen unfortunatly I cannot use the Juice Beauty Blemish serum because it has salicylic acid which bothers my skin.

tinamarie8 what brand of Clindamycin are you using?

As an update to all of this. I have not had success with the Duac this time around. I used it for almost 3 months and my acne seems no better. Yesterday I even asked my husband if he thought my skin looked any better in the last few months and he said no that I seemed to have just as many pimples. I am giving up on the Duac and BP for the time being and will consider some of the alternatives you mentioned. Sometimes I wonder if my skin just needs a break from harsh treatments and needs more hydration. It always seems to breakout more in the winter and when the air is really dry. I will let you know if I find something that works for me. Thanks everyone!
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the tea tree oil suggestion. Maybe you can purchase a tea tree oil mask to put on once or twice a week.
I used to have bad acnes along my hair line coz my hair just produces too much oil I guess. Then I started using tea tree mask twice a week. And now, I havent had any breakouts along my hair line anymore.

Also, I think a lot of ppl in this forum has good results from the DIY yonka emulsion pure (I think thats what it is called). I tried DIY emulsion pure. In my case, it does reduce the swelling of the acne, but it does not reduce the redness. I also use duac prescription gel, but to be honest with you, I think the DIY emulsion works better than the duac gel. It is cheaper too.

good luck
Very Happy
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
Oops...I didn't realize that the JB Blemish serum had Salicylic Acid. Have you tried Glycolic Acid? The original Serious Skin Care kit worked miracles for me. My skin doesn't respond well to Benzoyl Peroxide .
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
PSF says that their O2 serum makes a good replacement for benzoyl peroxide---- which makes it very attractive to me! Any acne-prone people using it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Yen I have tried glycolic acid cleanser and lotion and it actually made my acne worse. I am not sure but I think that it was too much for my sensitive skin. I do wonder if using gentler AHA products would help but am sort of reluctant to try this again. I wish my skin weren't so sensitive. Sad I read about stuff like the Juice Beauty serum on the forum and so want to try it but I know my skin will regret it.

manslayerliz the PSF 02 serum sounds interesting. I could see why it MIGHT work. I will try doing a search on the forum when I get the chance to see if anyone else has had success with this.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Theresa,

Hm...you haven't tried the Juice Beauty Blemish serum? Ask for a sample from Sephora. That way you can at least do a little patch test to see how your skin reacts to it.

It was the first acne product that I used that didn't feel like acne medication. There was no stinging.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 7:36 am      Reply with quote
I think I might try to get a sample of the Juice Beauty serum. I would probably not use it on my whole face but maybe it would work as a spot treatment even though it has salicylic acid which is generally a no for me.

Unfortunatly I don't live anywhere close to a Sephora. Sad Maybe the next time I order something from EDS I will request a sample.
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
Have you tried tea tree oil products? Tea Tree Oil kills germs like BP, but it doesn't irritate the skin as much, AND it won't bleach your towels, yay!

where can i get this tea tree oil???

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
would it matter the percentage in the BP? because i am using 2% Neutregena on the spot BP.. and of course now it doesnt irritate my skin.. I;ve using it for a 2 months now and my skin looks alot better...

what you think about acne.org???? thats the regimen im using..

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |