Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Self-tanner smell...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
JKinVA

Fri May 12, 2006 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not referring to the lotion's odor - more to the odor of my skin while I'm wearing it. Does everyone have that smell or is it just me? Embarassed Is there a self-tanner that won't make me stink? I tried the Dove moisturizing self-tanner the other day and it wasn't until I got to work that I realized I STANK!!

Also, is it common to have darker areas (birthmarks, etc.) turn darker with application? When I used to "real" tan, that never happened.

Thx!
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean about not the actual odor of the lotion but more of the odor of the lotion reacting with your skin. That's the main chemical in it and I don't think it can be avoided completely unfortunately. I don't smell it nearly as heavily with Vaseline Healthy Body Glow as I did with the Jergins. I would say it smells like self tanner BO! Calgon body sprays mask it pretty well.. Morning Glory and In The Rain mask it the best I think.

JKinVA wrote:

Also, is it common to have darker areas (birthmarks, etc.) turn darker with application? When I used to "real" tan, that never happened.

I have the opposite problem. I have a large birthmark on my right leg that is barely noticeable because its only a shade or two darker than the rest of my skin but it literally covers my entire thigh. When I was younger and would tan for real it would get really dark and the rest of the skin would just tan regular.. it looked like I was applying self tanning lotion and screwed up all the time. Self tanning lotion for me actually evens this out and the birth mark is completely not visible anymore. I guess everyone skins reacts different to self tanner.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that smell! I use Jergens but have read on here that the Vaseline brand doesn't smell as bad so I think I'll go to that next. I try to layer another, fragratn moisturizer over the Jergens, but it just doesn't help. To me, it smells metallic.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
JKinVA wrote:
I'm not referring to the lotion's odor - more to the odor of my skin while I'm wearing it. Does everyone have that smell or is it just me? Embarassed Is there a self-tanner that won't make me stink? I tried the Dove moisturizing self-tanner the other day and it wasn't until I got to work that I realized I STANK!!

Thx!

At CareKates suggestion I'm working on a less smelly self-tanner type lotion. But, as I don't use them, what scent do you ladies think would help in 'masking' the scent that you would find appealing?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:

At CareKates suggestion I'm working on a less smelly self-tanner type lotion. But, as I don't use them, what scent do you ladies think would help in 'masking' the scent that you would find appealing?

I think that Lavender would be strong enough to mask it and I LOVE the smell of Lavender! Maybe a Juniper scent would work well too, like the the Bath and Body works' Juniper Breeze kind of smell. But my favorite is the combination of Eucalyptus Spearmint!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
Candy8865 wrote:

I think that Lavender would be strong enough to mask it and I LOVE the smell of Lavender! Maybe a Juniper scent would work well too, like the the Bath and Body works' Juniper Breeze kind of smell. But my favorite is the combination of Eucalyptus Spearmint!

Hmmm, I have all those scents. What self tanner do you think has the most offensive/strong scent? I figure if I can mask that, everything else will be fine.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
This was posted on 4/17/05 by pbsadhaka:

If the smell really bothers you, you can add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the bottle. (I'm assuming it's an 8 ounce bottle.) It will not take the smell away, but it will "mask" it enough that you shouldn't notice it that much. I worked at a salon where we did spray tanning & that's what they told us to add to the tanning solution.

I can't stand the smell either! I tried the L'Oreal Sublime Glow self tanner and couldn't stand the smell of the lotion or the chemicals on my skin, so I tried adding the vanilla extract. It helped a little, but I could still smell the chemical reaction on my skin. After that tube was gone, I tried the L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Towelettes and I LOVE them! They smell so much better (nicely perfumed), don't have a strong chemical-reaction smell on my skin, are easy to use, and best of all--are not messy at all. I use the medium tone Body Towelettes on my bod and the light-medium tone Face Towelettes on my mug. (So far they haven't caused any breakouts, and my skin breaks out at the drop of a hat.) My resulting skin color isn't really dark, but rather comes out a light golden, healthy-looking color. I suggest anyone that abhors the smell of DHA (I think that's the ingredient) try the L'Oreal towelettes. Just remember to wash your palms just like as if you were using a lotion! :-&

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
Hmmm, I have all those scents. What self tanner do you think has the most offensive/strong scent? I figure if I can mask that, everything else will be fine.

Hmmm.. which one smells the worst.. geez I have used so many over time.. I'm not sure on the absolute worst but the L'oreal does smell pretty bad (and I like that one alot). The towellettes are alot nicer I do agree.. but the regular Sublime bronze although a brilliant color is nasty smelling.

Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |