Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Any recommendations for a good ab workout?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
I've been working out but haven't seen any results with my mid-section. Any recommendations for a good ab workout?
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:13 am      Reply with quote
I know it's really boring and old-fashioned, but I keep going back to good old sit-ups! I use a fitball and do them on that, which adds resistance as you have to brace against the ball (I'm not explaining it very well I know!) and makes them more effective. Worth a try if nothing else works!
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:52 am      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
I know it's really boring and old-fashioned, but I keep going back to good old sit-ups!

I second that! Only I use an Ab-trainer, this thing I bought off one of those 'as seen on TV' infomercials.

It makes doing sit-ups a lot easier, but surprisingly effective (not that I have a flat ab Rolling Eyes far from it Laughing ). I've abandoned the ab-trainer in the store-room to collect dust. I should get back at that now shouldn't I...

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
DiverChick
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:05 am      Reply with quote
When you say working out, do you mind my asking what you do?

Everyone has abs--most of us just want them to show! However, if you have body fat covering them, you can do the perfect ab routine and not see a thing (though you'd be strengthening your core, which is good!). Diet is also at least 80% of the weight loss equation. So that, and a good cardio/weight lifting program will help lower your body fat to make the abs more visible.

To develope your abs, and strengthen your core, their are a ton of different exercises. Just make sure you hit the internal and external obliques and upper/lower abs. Like any other body part, new research has shown that you don't need to do a thousand sit-ups. You can choose an exercise or two for each ab muscle and do 3 sets of 12-20 reps. It's hard to explain all the exercises in detail, but if you do a google search you'll find pictures. My favorite are traditional crunches, reverse crunches, ball crunches, the plank (awesome!) supermans, reverse supermans, bicycles, and side crunches.

Otherwise their are pilates and yoga moves that also work great--so if you prefer those, go for it. Whatever works for you, just be consistant in all areas and you'll see results!

On a final note, just remember that we all adapt to our exercises. So start off easy and then change your routine (add weight, change exercises, # of sets/reps) every 4 weeks so you keep seeing results!

Very Happy
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:56 am      Reply with quote
My best ab firmer is my 20 minute Windsor pilates workout for abs.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:31 am      Reply with quote
I've found that Yoga has really been toning my abs. Didn't expect it to, but it's a nice bonus!^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:38 am      Reply with quote
I've never done yoga, but I just noticed my gym has regular classes so might be time to give it a try. They also run regular Pilates courses so I'm thinking of signing up for the next one of those - here's hoping for some more firming!
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:03 am      Reply with quote
From my experience, Do a overall exercise routine at least 3 times a week and you'll see your abs before you know it. I used to do exercises concentrated on my abs, butt... but got very frustrated because it did not show the result. Then I put them aside and do a overall routine and now I have muscles everywhere. If you saw my other posts you might be tired of me talking about my biceps, triceps, and abs. I always have good biceps and some abs but no triceps at all. After 2 years yoga practicing, even my tennis coach was surprised how well defined my triceps are. And now after 5 years yoga exercise I have very well defined abs (4 only, working on the bottom 2).

But remember, no exercise does magic. You need to put in time, and effort. Pick the routine you like and stick to it. And yes, diet plays a very important role too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
No matter what I do, I cannot ever seem to firm up my upper arms - I long for nice defined triceps!
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
fifi: Try different pushups. In my yoga class we do at least 10 different pushups each session.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
MACrisis wrote:
fifi: Try different pushups. In my yoga class we do at least 10 different pushups each session.

What exactly are "different pushups"... different than how? I'm currently doing 60 regular pushups daily and well... they're boring.. I want a different pushup. I must say regular ones give great results though. I have heard that the body part that you can see a difference in the fastest is the arms. I want arms like Kate on Lost. She's one tough cookie.

Ahhh.. sorry this was about abs... um, I do 8 Minute Abs! everyday. Sometimes I do the ole Abs of Steel... I do alot of pilates too and you know those 100's and teasers...
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
DiverChick wrote:
When you say working out, do you mind my asking what you do?

Everyone has abs--most of us just want them to show! However, if you have body fat covering them, you can do the perfect ab routine and not see a thing (though you'd be strengthening your core, which is good!). Diet is also at least 80% of the weight loss equation. So that, and a good cardio/weight lifting program will help lower your body fat to make the abs more visible.

To develope your abs, and strengthen your core, their are a ton of different exercises. Just make sure you hit the internal and external obliques and upper/lower abs. Like any other body part, new research has shown that you don't need to do a thousand sit-ups. You can choose an exercise or two for each ab muscle and do 3 sets of 12-20 reps. It's hard to explain all the exercises in detail, but if you do a google search you'll find pictures. My favorite are traditional crunches, reverse crunches, ball crunches, the plank (awesome!) supermans, reverse supermans, bicycles, and side crunches.

Otherwise their are pilates and yoga moves that also work great--so if you prefer those, go for it. Whatever works for you, just be consistant in all areas and you'll see results!

On a final note, just remember that we all adapt to our exercises. So start off easy and then change your routine (add weight, change exercises, # of sets/reps) every 4 weeks so you keep seeing results!

Very Happy

I work out for 1/2 hour every other morning with my Tony Little Gazelle machine. http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/product_detail.asp?departmentId=4436&templateCode=PD&itemId=292692
I noticed that I'm getting toned everywhere except my abs. I was looking for more interesting workouts than boring situps and crunches.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
My best ab firmer is my 20 minute Windsor pilates workout for abs.

I was contemplating whether or not to start working out with Windsor Pilates. My sister bought the starter kit. I suppose there's no harm in trying. It's good to hear that it worked for you. Smile
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:24 am      Reply with quote
I also agree that diet is the only way to get the fat off. I use both the Winsor abs and Gaiam AM/PM Jillian Hessel and this has
taken 1.5 inches of my waist and flattened by stomach. The workouts are about 20 minutes (also a 40 min version) and I do them 3-5 times a week.
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
in terms of sit ups without using any equipment, best thing to do is while on your back and your knees bent put your finger tips on your knees and go forward just till you pass your wrists. we did that in jiujitsu classes, and found it was most effective as it concentrates on your abs and you can't cheat.

oli
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:17 am      Reply with quote
oli_d wrote:
in terms of sit ups without using any equipment, best thing to do is while on your back and your knees bent put your finger tips on your knees and go forward just till you pass your wrists. we did that in jiujitsu classes, and found it was most effective as it concentrates on your abs and you can't cheat.

oli

Sorry but could you clarify the "go forward just till you pass your wrists" part? I must need more coffee but I can't visualize that.
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:20 am      Reply with quote
stardust wrote:
sorry but could you clarify the "go forward just till you pass your wrists" part? I must need more coffee but I can't visualize that.

oh, if only we could draw things it would be so much easier Smile. well, think of how you would normally do sit ups on the floor, you would raise your entire upper body, i.e. you straighten/sit up. This way you don't sit up all the way, the movement is more concentrated. You move the length of your hand, so from your finger tip to just past your wrist. Lets do it this way, lay down on the floor as though you are about to do sit ups and bend your knees as you normally would. Now put your finger tips on your knees(your shoulders will be off the floor). Now, start doing your sit up, and the moment you get to your wrist, stop and go back down to your starting position, which is your finger tips on your knees, not all the way down. Hope this clarified it a bit more.

oli
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
Well, push-ups don't figure anywhere in my exercise routine right now, so maybe that's my problem. I think I'll have to ask one of the gym instructors to show me the most effective way to use them to tone my arms though - I wasn't aware that there were different types of push-ups!

Intrigued by the variation of sit-ups too, always looking for ways to add some variety!
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Ohmygosh if you thought there was a few different varieties of crunches/ situps before have a look at this website.
http://www.shapefit.com/training.html
I found it last night and it's real nice because there's little moving images showing you exactly how to do it. There's 45 different kinds of ab excercises you can do! I found this website for the arm excerises though and it covers everything from your butt to your chest to you calfs.
Also, if you are new to doing crunches and notice alot of strain on your neck you can make your own ab machine. "Get a bath towel and like with it lengthwise under you. Hold an upper corner of the towel in each hand. The towel will support your head and neck while you do sit-ups and abdominal crunches" -quoted from "The World's Best-Kept Diet Secrets"... I've tried this and it feels just like one of those ab rollers... it probably makes the workout a tad easier, but it still works the abs quite nice and takes a lot of strain off the neck area. Once your abs get stronger you usually don't get that strain though I've noticed.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:54 am      Reply with quote
What a fab website! I just saw the perfect push-up to work the triceps too, will try it out tomorrow at the gym Very Happy .
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks oli_d. I think I've got it now. Smile

PhoebesMeow - Great website. There are a lot of different exercises to check out.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I'm a dance and fitness instructor, and good workouts for abs are pilates, belly dance, and yoga in that order. Belly dance stomach flutters, rolls, and undulations can be done standing, sitting, or lying down. They are as good as crunches. I tell my students to practice them while sitting at red lights.

Belly dance in the cabaret style is also amazing for upper arms since the arms are held up and are engaged. Shoulder circles with arms at chest level, in front and out to side, are fantastic. Try them with light hand weights to amp improvement.

Holding the "plank" position for several minutes every day will work abs, arms, and back.

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
No matter what I do, I cannot ever seem to firm up my upper arms - I long for nice defined triceps!

SWIM, SWIM, SWIM!!!
I swim 3x/per week, one mile in the pool (72 laps), stopping every 10 for a small drink of water. Then I float on my back for a couple of minutes and take a sauna. Heavenly!
And I get so many comments on my toned arms and back, that I will never give it up! AND it has toned my abs as well, since you need to engage them in order to hold yourself afloat. I focus on reaching, lengthening, basically applying pilates principles to my swimming style. I highly recommend that you ladies get yourself a swimming instructor!

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 6:29 am      Reply with quote
avalange - I have always been in LOVE with the water! In fact, the main reason I had lasik done for my eyes is because I love to be in the water and contact lens and water just do not mix! Anyway, I started doing laps last summer at my gym since it has a wonderful pool/hot tub/sauna area. However, I started to get a bit put off by it because of a couple of things. First, my hair is naturally very dry and the added chlorine was just parching it. Also, I can only wash my hair twice a week since it does get so dry if I straighten it more than that (yes I have very curly hair that I refuse to wear curly since it makes me look like I'm 12). So, coordinating swim time with washing my hair didn't always work.

My question is, do you know of anything that I could use to keep my hair dry while doing laps? The few swim caps I've tried always let some water in. If not, do you have any particular type of shampoo/conditioner that keeps your hair from frying? I'd love to start picking it back up but I'm trying to find something that would protect my hair first. It won't do many any good to have that swimmer's body if I have dried-out troll hair to go with it! Laughing
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 7:58 am      Reply with quote
TAM,

I also coordinate my swimming with my needs to wash my hair, and I have had the same problems. I found a very thick swimcap by TYR that is made out of silicone that saved me--it does indeed keep my hair dry while I swim. But, the best thing that I do for my hair is put on a very intense hair treatment while I swim , my favorite being lavendar/wheat germ hair oil by "Christophe Robin," and burt's bees avocado hair butter. These products are supposed to sit on the hair for a long time before you shampoo, so I apply them about an hour before I go swimming and then rinse them afterward. And the fact that I don't need to bring a bottle of conditioner with me is a plus, too! My hair is very long and does not get dry anymore. I hope that helps!

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |