Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Gross News of the Century
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
OK, am I the only person alive who didn't realize that fabric softener and dryer sheets are made of lard? And to think that I've been pouring that crap all over my clothes, ugh!! If you're as bothered by this as I am, there are a few good options: Whole Foods sells a laundry detergent with a built-in soy softener, and then there's a brand called "Method" which is sold at Target and other various places, and their fabric softener is also plant based. Smells pretty good, too...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Wow! I didn't know
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:20 am      Reply with quote
LARD??!! UGH! Did you read this somewhere? I've been using this "crap" for years. The thought of my clothes being full of lard is really disgusting.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:40 am      Reply with quote
That is so gross. Off to read the label of my usual brand....
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:16 am      Reply with quote
It's true-- I thought at least I would be safe using the "sensitive skin" version I've been using for years, but I called Downy up and they informed me that every softener put out by them and by their competitors is made of beef or pork tallow, ugh!!! Apparently it's cheaper this way, which is why the plant-based brands are slightly more expensive, but still, I'm going to just have to throw away the stuff I've been using--- it's just too gross for me. I'm def. glad to know I'm not the only person surprised!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Shock Shock Shock

I had no idea! I hope I can find something without lard in the UK to replace my current one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:46 am      Reply with quote
I use Comfort hypoallergenic - nothing on the label, but there's not exactly a lot of ingredient information on there! It's not too expensive, so I fear the worst.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Lard is a common ingredient in soap products, and has been for centuries.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Shock!!!

I never knew this either! It's a good thing I don't use liquid softener and rarely use the sheets (I am so particular about things that touch my face that I have never used them when I have dried my towells and sheets). I also line dry most of my clothes to save money.

My mom started using the liquid recently because it helped keep dog hair from sticking to clothes and she was line drying mostly everything to save money too. I wonder if she knows this about softener?... I'll have to ask.

This is one of the reasons why I don't like it that for some products the ingredients do not have to be listed like with skin care and hair care products. I think this is a crying shame!

april- about soap... that is why I always make sure that I by vegetable based soaps. Exclamation

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
speaking of lard...

Did you know that Queen Elizabeth applied lard to her face every day?

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
I'm with you Amnis--- I HATE that companies don't have to say where their ingredients come from. I too try to only buy vegetable-based soaps....

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Is lipstick still made from the blubber of whales? I find that more disturbing than ole lard in my fabric softener... oh ignorance is bliss...
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing I knew that about soap - Didn't know that about the queen though!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
OK, am I the only person alive who didn't realize that fabric softener and dryer sheets are made of lard? And to think that I've been pouring that crap all over my clothes, ugh!! If you're as bothered by this as I am, there are a few good options: Whole Foods sells a laundry detergent with a built-in soy softener, and then there's a brand called "Method" which is sold at Target and other various places, and their fabric softener is also plant based. Smells pretty good, too...

Where did you get the info from? I'm so grossed out now. Crying or Very sad
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
I read it somewhere, but I called P & G (the company that makes Downy) to confirm. I definitely told them I won't be buying their product anymore!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't know about the lard, but I do know it's just a chemical coating that goes over the fabric to make it slippery and 'feel softer'. It's pretty gross if you think about it. I use vinegar instead....I don't see laundry softener as a necessity by a LONG SHOT.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Lard was often used in the "olden days" on face and hands as a form of moisturizer. It would really be more of a sealent.

I read a book about 20 years ago by a derm who reccommended putting lard on your face before going out for winter sports....I live in a cold clime but I passed on this. Rolling Eyes
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
I always thought that those dryer sheets had some sort of film on them. I thought it would be candle wax or something.

To add onto the topic of "gross news of the century" (well this isn't gross per se, just disturbing), but I was in my accounting class last night and we were talking about coffee production (decaf. and regular productions). So apparantly, to make decafienated coffee, all they do is add ammonnia (sp Embarassed ) to the coffee. So what really happens is the ammonnia 'eats/cancels out' caffiene, making decafienated coffee. I don't know, I thought that that was pretty weird/ nasty to do to something many consume on a daily basis.

(sorry for the spelling in the post Embarassed )
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard that about decaf coffee--- yuck and double yuck!!! Luckily there are some places that use an organic "water" method instead. I know Caribou is one... don't know others right off the top of my head...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Well! I didn't know this about fabric softeners. I quit using fabric softeners years ago and use just vinegar..YES vinegar. It softens clothes and leaves a nice fresh scent especially when hung outdoors. AND its cheaper. You can buy vinegar by the gallon for a lot less. I also use pure soap flakes; that being either Ivory Snow or something without all the additives.
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
I've heard that about decaf coffee--- yuck and double yuck!!! Luckily there are some places that use an organic "water" method instead. I know Caribou is one... don't know others right off the top of my head...

There's a Caribou coffee that just opened up next to my house. The coffee is pretty good, just like starbucks coffee. Better start going there more often Wink (I hope thats the Caribou your talking about, lol ) Embarassed
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Yup, that's the same Caribou! ^_^

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
When I was out shopping today I found a brand called Ecover which is supposedly all plant-based, they have all kind of laundry and cleaning products so I got some to try. Hope they don't make me itch (having finally found laundry products which don't), as I'd really like to be able to use these instead of the lard-based ones.

Luckily I don't have to worry about the decaf problem - as far as I'm concerned, if there's no caffeine, there's no point!
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
I've used Ecover detergent...it's pretty good! I like the powdered form.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |