Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Scent free workplace
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
kittylove
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Our department at work has now been declared scent free. They will not allow anything with a fragrance including perfume, body spray and lotions, underarm deoderant. They define fragrance as anything that smells. They did not list hair products. They also did not list the hand lotions that they provide which smell very heavily.
On one hand I think it's ok because some people cannot handle fragrances. On the other hand I'm thinking...hey buddy if you can smell my pit paste then get your head out from under my arm!!!
I'm just kind of frustrated because I think the place has gone communist as it is, telling us what we can and cannot wear, how to wear our hair, and now this.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure how anyplace can be truly scent free - doesn't almost any product you use have some kind of scent (even if it's a natural one)? I don't think I'd be very happy if all the scents surrounding my desk at work were of unadulterated sweat and feet Laughing !
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:37 am      Reply with quote
i guess what they really mean is frangrance free Razz

as someone who does sometimes have a bad reaction to fragrances, there's a part of me that appreciates it, however... it is rather extreme and i don't like the suppression of personal freedom.

it's like there's this line where your right to wear fragrance intersects with someone else's right to be healthy at work.

however, just as one can stop wearing fragrance, someone who is that sensitive could start wearing a mask.

i don't know what the answer is. :/
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
You've got a point there fifi. Our work isn't declared scent free .... but from extremely strong parfum to smelly feet (I am sooo lucky I don't have to sit beside this person!), I don't know how someone would monitor this.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I really think these things should be isolated to the "offenders." Not everyone at work should suffer because a few folks don't wash or lay on the perfume too heavy. The folks in personnel should deal with this issue like any other employment issue. One-on-one.

I'd submit a monthly expense voucher for all the expenses associated with trying to comply with the rule. Why should you pay for scent free deodorant that you don't want to use?! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
That's kind of crazy...I'm sensitive to fragrances, myself, but I couldn't imagine demanding that everyone around me be put through the hassle of replacing ALL of their products with 'fragrance free' versions. The most I could see them asking, reasonably, is to not wear perfume or cologne. Hopefully that rule will just sort of fade away....I certainly wouldn't throw away my deodorant just yet! yikes
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
kittylove wrote:
On the other hand I'm thinking...hey buddy if you can smell my pit paste then get your head out from under my arm!!!

Laughing !

Is your company going to perform scent checks? I mean, really, how can you smell someone else's deodorant unless your nose comes within inches of his/her underarm?

I think this rule is way too extreme. I understand limiting perfume and cologne and those really obnoxious scented lotions (like from Bath and Body Works or Victoria Secret)... sorry, I am sensitive to fragrances when they are synthetic and I can't even walk into a Vic Secret or Bath & Body Works with out getting an instant head ache and nose burn... so I never go into them. (And I have to say that I have much disdain for a person that whips out one of these such lotions on an airplane).

I've worked in a communistic environment before and it REALLY affects team moral and overall productivity. I hope that doesn't happen to your workplace.

Ya know... I wonder if this new rule could be a result of that men's TAG body mist stuff that I see so heavily advertised? IMO, so unsexy. I think the sexiest thing is when you can faintly smell a guy's scent (whether cologne or aftershave or whatver) when you are intimate with him. For me, an obvious scent you can smell a foot away is a turn off...

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Mabsy

Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I think banning scented deodorant is going too far, but banning fragrances in certain work places is understandable. For example, IMO, people that work very closely with patients in hospitals or with little children should not be wearing perfume. However, in a workplace where you do not come into very close contact with people it should be enough to simply pinpoint those that wear perfume that is way too strong and ask them to apply less.

Btw, while I would be fighting like hell against it if my work decided to be a perfume-free zone, it would mean that the lady who wears a rather heavy layer of Angel would no longer be able to make me ill and give me instant migraines Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
I know what you mean, amnis, i too get an INSTANT headache from walking into victoria's secret....the worst are those awful CANDLE STORES! But I don't think deodorant has -ever- been a bother to me!
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:
....the worst are those awful CANDLE STORES!

OMG! Me, too! I need a bottle of Excedrin just to choose a lousy candle. (Not to mention a dose of Benadryl for the sneezing fit.) Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
OMG I always thought I was the only one!! I feel like I've stumbled onto the secret sisterhood of women who are sensitive to overly strong Victoria's Secret-like scents!! Hooray!!!! Oh, and don't even get me started on that gross Axe stuff--- it might as well be woman-repellant as far as I'm concerned!

On a different note, I think that a workplace going "scent-free" is a little bit far. I mean yes, it's good that it will crack down on those insensitive women who think that if they can't use up a bottle of perfume a week they are doing something wrong, but that doesn't mean that other people who enjoy a light spritz of fragrance in their hair or some rose-scented hand cream should suffer!! (I used to work in a very stressful environment, and sometimes that rose hand cream was all that got me through the day!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
I notice at my dentist's office he has signs everywhere asking ppl not to wear perfumes/colognes because some staff are sensitive to it, yet every time I'm in there he has at least 3 of his dogs running around. It ticks me off every time I go there. That is, until I get the laughing gas and become un-ticked.
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
i work in a government office and it's been scent-free for quite a few years now..
i can understand how some people r allergic to scent, but it's very inconvenient (in fact, almost impossible) to be totally scent free
i don't use perfume when i go to work but i just can't throw out all of my skincare/bodycare/haircare that are scented
chevycamarolvr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:22 am      Reply with quote
I don't have a rule like that in our office... I'm glad I don't.

We almost HAVE to spray air freshener or burn candles on the one side of the office. There's a gentleman (if you wanna call him that) with an office over there and he STINKS! Like someone rubbed their musty, dirty crotch with rotten fish (really, I don't know how else to describe it!) He literally stinks up that whole side of the office, you can smell him about 50 feet away! We've all complained to mgmt about it, but they don't know if it's medical or something so they don't say a word..... So in our case, heavily scented perfumes, air fresheners, candles, etc are almost a GODSEND! I swear if it gets any worse we'll be wearing nose plugs or gas masks!
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
chevycamarolvr wrote:
I don't have a rule like that in our office... I'm glad I don't.

We almost HAVE to spray air freshener or burn candles on the one side of the office. There's a gentleman (if you wanna call him that) with an office over there and he STINKS! Like someone rubbed their musty, dirty crotch with rotten fish (really, I don't know how else to describe it!) He literally stinks up that whole side of the office, you can smell him about 50 feet away! We've all complained to mgmt about it, but they don't know if it's medical or something so they don't say a word..... So in our case, heavily scented perfumes, air fresheners, candles, etc are almost a GODSEND! I swear if it gets any worse we'll be wearing nose plugs or gas masks!

Very Happy it'd be a nightware if there was someone like him in my office..since it's scent-free, we'd all have to wear gas masks to work!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
phredd4 wrote:
I notice at my dentist's office he has signs everywhere asking ppl not to wear perfumes/colognes because some staff are sensitive to it, yet every time I'm in there he has at least 3 of his dogs running around. It ticks me off every time I go there. That is, until I get the laughing gas and become un-ticked.

I'm sorry, but did you say your dentist has 3 dogs running around in his clinic? Shock That goes against every infectious control policy out there, not to mention that many people are afraid of dogs no matter how friendly they might be. I'd seriously rethink going there!
kittylove
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Ok it has been roughly a year and a half since they made this rule and are having a hard time enforcing it. But, even so, yesterday they informed us that they will be giving us lists of "acceptable" hair products, soaps, lotions, and laundry products. Are you freakin' kidding me??
kareni
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
I can't stop laughing!!! Is business slow at your workplace? I could see a general reminder going out periodically, or the boss speaking privately to your super-smelly co-workers, but to actually try to enforce this?!?! I love the comments about random smell checks and "if you can smell my pit stick, get your head out of my arm pit", etc. Hilarious! Laughing
kareni
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, I am still laughing and re-reading the threads... Maybe they will have to make random visits to your bathrooms at home to ensure you are using "authorized" products.

Am guessing that you have someone in particular who really over does it, or a boss that is super-smell-sensitive? (We had to keep our lunch room door closed at all times due to a boss with a "food smell issue" before.)
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |