Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
Physicians Formula Mineral Makeup
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Has any one tried this brand?
I'm wondering how it compares to Bare Essentials or Aromaleigh. I'm looking for something a shade or two darker for summer to mix with my current shade. I don't want to spend a ton of cash on what I consider a temporary color.
CVS Pharmacy has it buy one get the second 1/2 off. I saw in the ad that it comes with a Kabuki brush. I'm also wondering if the brush is any descent.

Thanks
Jody
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 11:45 am      Reply with quote
I just recently bought the pressed mineral powder, in beige. I really like it! I haven't, however, tried any other brands of mineral foundation, so I can't compare, but I say it was worth the money for me.

Truth-be-told, I really hate having to wear make-up (God, I miss being 20 Confused ), but I've found it quick to apply and has a fairly natural look, so it works well for me.

It hasn't made me break-out either.

(I use my own brush.)

--B
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi Jody!

I'm not sure if this is the exact product you're referring to, but I did recently buy the Mineral Wear foundation and pressed powder (in Light Bronzer). I have been curious about mineral makeup for awhile now, and to be honest, I tried this one because they had a deal where you could try the foundation for free (send in a rebate form with the receipt and get the purchase price refunded). The powder was 40% off at Walgreens, so all in all it was a pretty inexpensive experiment! Laughing

I have not tried Bare Esscentuals (though I suspect I will at some point, given all the raves I've heard about it)...but I do like this product, and my super-oily skin seems to be breaking out less since using it. Also, I was able to find a color (Creamy Natural) that is pretty much an exact match for my skin.

So, all in all, I think it's a decent, reasonably priced product that's worth trying. And if you buy it at ULTA or Walgreens, you can take it back if you don't like it!

Hope this helps!
Mary Smile
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
Bee & Mary,
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try it. I didn't realize you could return to Ulta, that's great. (I do a lot of shopping there.)I just saw that they have a kit (it looks trial size) for $15. I have their $3.50 off coupon, so it sounds like I'm headed their this week.
Jody
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I do a lot of ULTA shopping myself, and for whatever reason I only recently learned that you can return anything if you don't like it! Just save your receipt and you have 30 days (or may even be 60 days...can't recall exactly what the ULTA gal told me) to return it for a refund. Wish I'd known that earlier...there were a few things that went straight into the trash can that I could have sent back! Ah well...live and learn! Laughing

Mary
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
I was at Ulta looking at the Physician's Formula mineral makeup and wasn't sure if Ishould give it a try. But will probably go back and get it, since alot of people are raving about it. (Salesgirl says 60 days w/ receipt). I'm using Bare Essentuals at the moment, so I'll be able to compare.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried Bare Essential and JI mineral makeup but find it too heavy for me. I usually wear a tinted moisturizer. A month ago I purchased Physicians Formula Mineral Wear (compact) and quite like it. I purchased the Sand Beige for my medium complextion. I find it to be very light and evens out my skin tone. I also purchased the Multi Colored Highlighter. Unlike most makeup I buy I have been wearing it often since I purchased it. In my case I prefer it to BE and JI. It applies nicely and quick. The color was perfect for me and very forgiving the way it blends. The Multi Color Highlighter really surprised me. After applying the Mineral Wear I sweep the highlighter all over my face and it gives me a nice lift of color. With both products I use my own JI brushes. The brush that comes with each of these products is not great (I would not expect it). For proper application of powder foundation a good brush makes a hugh difference. Personally I like the JI Handi Brush.

Because I was so pleased with these products I went back to CVS to take advantage of their sale. I got the Physicians Formula Virtual Face Power in Tanslucent Pearl. This product is advertised to be light defusing and a nice highlighter. I do not care for this PF product at all and it did nothing for me. I also purchased their lip enhancing palette with four neutral colors. The colors looked lovely in the compact. I found them to be very drying on my lips.

I will repurchase the Mineral Wear and Multi Color Highlighter. Great value for a decent foundation. With CVS's money back guarantee you really can't go wrong. Just hang on to that receipt.

I am so glad I read this post as I keep telling myself to review these products.
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
I just printed out the $3.50 coupon from Ulta so I can purchase the Physician's Formula mineral makeup. Can't wait.
ErinChristine
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
I tried it, and I'm not a fan. I am fair and both light shades were off. Too orangy. I thought it gave too much coverage as well. I used bare minerals for a while and I did like it and I might go back.

HTH
tammymamtam
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
ulta has a deal where you can get physcians formula m/m loose powder,m/m foundation,m/m eyeshadow for 17.95 or the loose powder and pressed and eyeshadow for 17.99. great deal or so i thought it was for me Very Happy
mk
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
i bought the physicians formula mineral wear translucent powder about three weeks ago.

this is the first time i have tried mineral make up, so i can't tell you how it compares, but it is much better than any pressed powder i have used in the past.

my past experience with pressed powders was not good- my face would go shiny within a few hours, which is pretty bad considering my face does not tend to go shiny during the day.

but with the mineral powder, it gives good coverage (i don't feel like i have to wear foundation every day), feels lovely and smooth, and gives a soft matte look to my complexion. i think this will become a staple for me.

i agree that the brush in the compact is not very good, so i use my own.

all in all, i'd give this a big thumbs up!
laine
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the physicains formula pressed minerals compact (not the loose minerals) and ended up returning the product. It looked great when first applied but I found the color changed after a few hours. The primary reason I returned it was because when I was outside in the heat (southwest LA) my face started burning. I know this happened to my mom & sister while using BE. I can't use BE because of the bismuth. PF is a good cost alternative to other minerals if you can use it.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Has anybody tried both the loose and pressed powder? Which one do you like better?

TIA!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi tidieu,

I have and use both.

The Loose Minerals is the foundation ... it's supposed to provide good coverage. I love it. It goes on easily ... and it stays all day long.

The Pressed Powder is a translucent finishing powder ... to be used after to help "set" your makeup.

You can, of course, wear the pressed powder on its own ... if you don't need much coverage ... but I can't do that! Laughing I need the coverage and the Loose Minerals is great for evening skin tone.

I generally only use the pressed powder as a "touch up" later on in the day ... because I have other finishing powders that I use to set my makeup. So ... the pressed powder I generally carry in my purse ...

It really depends upon what you want it to do as to which one you select.

HTH

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the lose several weeks ago. I'm very fair and it seems to be a decent match.

The brush they pack with it is not a Kabuki...they gotta be kidding! I tossed it and use my own.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi donnababe,

You expected an actual, high quality kabuki to be supplied with foundation powder that is about $10 U.S.? Laughing Why on earth would you expect it to be any higher quality than the sort of brush that's supplied with any other sort of makeup? Laughing Nowhere in any of the PF literature/point of sale stuff did I see PF refer to the supplied brush as a kabuki ... although I did see some comments on MUA indicating that it was a "sort of" baby kabuki.

Actually, while I don't use the supplied brush to apply my PF Loose Minerals, it's not that bad of a brush. I've certainly had much worse brushes supplied with blush/powder in the past.

It's not something I'd use all the time ... but it would certainly do in a pinch. Very Happy If one were to take the whole thing in one's purse/makeup bag, then the supplied brush would be very handy indeed for touchups.

However, I never expect a supplied brush, regardless of the brand of makeup, to be something I'd want to use all the time. Years ago, before I even heard of mineral makeup, I had several blush compacts that had compact brushes supplied with them. I never used those either because they were inferior to my every day makeup brushes ... but they still came in handy for the odd touchup.

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

Which brush do you use for the loose and the pressed power? I hope the PF Mineral power is not too oily for my oily skin. They don't have testers, how did you manage to pick out the right color for you?

Thanks.
Tidieu
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
I'm using this now, the loose powder, and I really love it. I was using BE before, and the bismuth in it was causing me problems (itchiness, redness, gross pearly shinyness). The PF is the perfect mattness for my oily skin (I do still have to use blotting papers during the day, but I'm extra oily right now because of a medicine). You don't really need powder over it (which I love). I had trouble finding a color match. I ended up mixing buff beige with a little translucent light, but it is a really perfect match. I would suggest buying a few colors (from places you can return, like walgreen's and cvs. In my town walgreen's only had 3 shades, but cvs had them all) Just play around w/ colors and mixing for a few days. Also, don't judge it right off, you have to let it soak in for a few minutes before it looks right. At first it looks a little powdery. The brush is pretty rough, I washed it and it's a little softer, but I just use a fluffy powder brush I used to use with BE. You don't have to 'buff' it like BE, either.
Hope this helps. There's another thread about it here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11596&highlight=

and here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11411&highlight=
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Cloud_9!

I was going to get the translucent medium but if it's pink-based then it wouldn't work for me since I have yellow undertone. I will get the Buff Beige instead.

Tidieu
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
I went to Ulta today and purchased my first PF powder which came along with the mineral foundation and eyeshadow. I just have to say THANK YOU to everyone who raved about this product. I've been using BE but my face would look like there was too much powder even though I tapped and swirled (which seems forever). It also made my face more oily and shiny and I would have to keep reapplying. Until I found this thread which I am sooooo grateful. The color I got is Beige and it matched my skin plus i'm not oily anymore. I'll probably try the foundation to see how that goes since it was a package deal. The great thing, it's so cheap too. Very Happy
Gelc
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 12:43 am      Reply with quote
Does this brand sell to Hong Kong? Where can I find it? Many thanks gals.
Gelc
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 12:47 am      Reply with quote
Forgot to say, I've tried Cory, BE and JI. I want to find a MMU that will not dehydrate my skin. Thin layer with light - medium coverage. Can make my pores not so visible. Many thanks.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |