Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
All About Your Workout
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Well I've been working out alot lately. I probably spend just as much time reading about working out and others' workouts (I love reading what workouts the celebrities are doing)as I spend working out. I've even been seriously thinking about getting my masters in exercise science since I'm so interested in it. Anyway, I used to go to the gym all the time, but then my membership ran out. I realized I really only used a couple machines and one of the main reasons I didn't work out on certain days was because I didn't feel like getting ready and going to the gym. So I just bought all the machines I used. Bought a nice elliptical, a step machine, an exercise bike, some resistance bands (they work as well as the machines I've found), and lots of tapes. So this is my workout as of the last 3 or so months:

--45-60 minutes on a cardio machine (mostly the elliptical on various resistances with cheesy 80's music to keep me going) daily. Machine calorie counters usually say over 1000 calories burned but when I do the formula, it comes out to be between 500-650 calories burned on my body.
--8 minute abs (or Abs of Steel original) and 8 minute arms Dvd done daily along with 60 pushups
--1 generally about an hour long workout DVD done 5 days a week. My favorites include:
Denise Austin Pilates Mat Workout Based on the Work of J.H. Pilates
Jennifer Kries Pilates Method Perfect Mix
Jennifer Kries Pilates Precision Toning
New York City Ballet Workout (probably the single thing in my workout that changed my body THE MOST dramatically)
--Once a week I go to the woods or the arboretum for a 5-6 mile walk.

*After working up a sweat I immediatly rinse off my face and apply some clindamycin to kill the bacteria*

I guess I work out a lot, but I really enjoy it, I have a very flexible work schedule that allows this and I have the motivation of being fresh out of a 3 year relationship Sad
So basically, what's your workout? What tapes do you love and think show the most results, what changes have you recently made or plan on making? Let's hear it!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
your calculation is way more realistic than 1000 calories...unless you're like 700 pounds.

I used to work out a daily for an hour and a half, then got sick and couldn't go for a month and have been struggling the past 3 years to get back into it. Now I'm really trying b/c I gained quite a bit of weight.

I do an hour of cardio when I go. 25 on the elliptical, 25 on the bike and 10-20 on the treadmill (but slow at this point). I too listen to cheesy 80's music, mixed with some country.

My current goal is to go to the gym 3 times a week and go for hour long walks on the other days. I'm not currently doing weights but plan to start soon, which means I'll have to go 5 days a week.

I'd like to know how everyone motivates themselves to go. Once I get there I'm fine, but I have problems dragging my ass outta bed to go.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
your calculation is way more realistic than 1000 calories...unless you're like 700 pounds.

Laughing Actually the default weight setting for my machine is 185 lbs. Since I don't weigh 185 lbs I have to do the math to figure out how many calories I actually burned (My elliptical doesn't ask me for my weight). All you do is divide your weight by the default weight setting and then multiply it by how many calories the machine told you that you burned. I used to like thinking I burned 1000 calories, but I just had to know the truth... And I couldn't drag myself outta bed to go either, that's why I started my home gym.. I used to only go 2 or 3 times a week... now I get to stay home and work out in the stupidest workout outfits
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
I wish I had an at home gym....I'd be SO motivated. My stupid gym doesn't have a/c so it gets hot and stinky with all the ladies in there (a very STRONG curry smell - yuck!)

I dunno if I'd wear the stupid workout outfits...I'd prolly wear my pajamas or my underwear (would save me a lot of laundry) Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 5:02 am      Reply with quote
I'd love a home gym - the one I go to is sooo expensive! Mind you, I guess all those machines must be too.
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
For the past few weeks I've been doing Body For Life, that's about a 45 minute upper body workout with machines and free weights one day, the next day is 20 minutes of cardio interval training, the next day is 45 minutes on the lower body, and it continues to rotate every day except Sunday which is a day off. I do abs every day, walk for an hour with friends most days, take yoga 3 times a week, and scuba dive about once a week. I haven't been on a scale in nearly a year but I took measurements when I started and I've lost an inch on my waist and hips so far.

I used to run, play tennis and ride my dirt bike but had to give up the impact activities so it's been hard finding a way to workout that isn't boring.

I'm intrigued by the NYC Ballet workout so I just popped it into my Amazon cart. I'm reading the reviews now.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:19 am      Reply with quote
A home gym is A LOT LESS than you'd think. I don't know what gym you go to but you know that big gym nationwide with the enourmous membership fees? A home gym would cost you less than a year there. I got a great elliptical at Sears. You don't need to get the super expensive equipment because those are designed for continuous use in a gym environment... your personal equiptment goes through a lot less wear and tear. Needless to say, I didn't buy the cheapest model and I tested them out first. I've very happy with my choice, it's got all the bells and whistles too. I got a stepper and a nice Schwinn Airdyne upright bike from some relatives for a great price. I really find resistance bands to be as effective as all the weights machines I used (although I still kind of want a bowflex). I got most of my workout dvds on ebay. All in all I spent under $1000. I kind of want to get a treadmill but I can't get myself to spend the money when I could just go outside to walk most of the time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 9:02 am      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
I got a great elliptical at Sears. You don't need to get the super expensive equipment because those are designed for continuous use in a gym environment... your personal equiptment goes through a lot less wear and tear. Needless to say, I didn't buy the cheapest model and I tested them out first. I've very happy with my choice, it's got all the bells and whistles too.

Which one did you get? I'm really interested in getting an elliptical machine myself. Thanks!
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 9:18 am      Reply with quote
I got the proform xp 110 model. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=FIT&pid=00628543000
It's got three adjustable strides (to work the different muscles).. programmed workouts, calorie and carb counter, heart rate monitor, a fan built in. I tried all the machines at sears and felt this one to be the most comfortable for me. I put it together myself in a day, it was fairly easy. You do have to go over it every couple of weeks and tighten stuff (but I'm sure they do this at gyms during non business hours to their machines too). It's not a gym machine by any means but I definitely don't think it's cheaply constructed either... I really like this one.

Oh I should add that proform has excellent customer service, I contacted them at their website and talked to someone through their live chat that was extremely helpfull to me. It was about the default weight and he even told me how to figure out my own calorie and carb count.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Up until June of last year I owned a gym. After selling it I completely lost interest in working out there and bought a bowflex home gym. I totally love the bowflex and the training software that came with it makes it simple to use.

Until five years ago I had never worked out or been athletic in anyway. I will be the big 40 this week and have more energy now than at 20. Fitness has changed my life in so many ways and I cant imagine ever giving it up.

I never miss a workout and personally find it easy to stay motivated. For me it is simply a matter of how it makes me feel. I can either feel bad about myself for sitting on my ass or feel a sense of pride by sticking with it. Not to mention how much better it makes you look and feel physically.

Sherri
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
SherriinCanada wrote:
I never miss a workout and personally find it easy to stay motivated. For me it is simply a matter of how it makes me feel. I can either feel bad about myself for sitting on my ass or feel a sense of pride by sticking with it. Not to mention how much better it makes you look and feel physically.

Sherri

Sherri,

I used to be motivated just like that but I don't know what happened. It could have something to do with the boyfriend b/c we started dating about 6 months before I lost motivation. He's one of those naturally skinny people. I hate it!!

I am starting today off on a good start tracking all the food and stuff. Going to head to the gym once the lunch crowd is gone...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know why, but it always feels like a huge chore to me to go to the gym! The funny thing is, I really enjoy the workout when I get there Laughing .
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I really like the videos from THe FIrm. I try to do them 3 times a week, they use weights and various heights of steps for aerobics. (I have 3 young children, back to my pre-pregnancy weight, also feel great as well).
I like to work out at home rather than the gym, not sure why, have tried the gym before and never enjoyed it.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
I don't know why, but it always feels like a huge chore to me to go to the gym! The funny thing is, I really enjoy the workout when I get there Laughing .

that's exactly how I am!! I've gone 2 days in a row now...let's hope I can keep it up!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I aspire to do yoga everyday for at least half an hour. But lately I do it three to four times a week. I tried pilates, but I was burning too many calories, and losing weight I didn't want to lose; I wanted to build muscle. So I switched to yoga which is much better for me, at the weight I'm at. I wish I could do it more often, which is the only change I'd make. Oh, and I was thinking of jumping rope to build up some endurance. I'm going on a nine mile hike at the end of the month, and some of it is uphill! Eeep!
DiverChick
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 5:15 am      Reply with quote
I recently started doing triathlons and am in the best shape ever. Best yet, while weight loss was a huge goal, I've found that working towards a race instead is much more inspiring than checking in on the scale each morning.

I bike 3x a week, run 3x a week and swim 3x a week with weights when I can. Weekends are long days, but I probably exercise 90 minutes during the week.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 5:54 am      Reply with quote
All about my workout? what workout? Embarassed Laughing
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Well, I do daily workouts (an absolutely necessity because I need to strengthen and keep my spine straight and flexible), but compared to the regimes here, I feel like a complete wimp!

Yikes! You lot must be superwomen! I'm very impressed. Very Happy
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've been making myself workout at least three times a week. I do it first thing in the morning (just to get it overwith). The fact that my co-workers compliment me by saying how much better I look, keeps me motivated.
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
I updated my workout after our trip to Italy where I didn't deny myself anything, the food was sooooo good.

Now I'm doing interval training. I start on the elliptical and do 3 minutes to warm up then alternate a set of weights and 2 minutes on the elliptical. I end up with 20 minutes on the elliptical and about 30 on weights and abs. It keeps my heart rate up for the entire workout. I'm doing this 5 days a week, alternating upper and lower body.

I use a heart rate monitor to keep track of my calories burned because the elliptical machine seems to way overestimate them. My heart rate monitor has my age, height and weight in my user profile so I think it should be more accurate.

I just started using diet software called DietPower. I put in my goal weight and timeframe, answered all the questions and it recommends a maximum daily calorie intake. When I eat, I put it in the program and it counts the calories, when I workout I put that in too and it adjusts my daily allowance. It tells me at any point if I'm getting enough or too much of something. I'm a little obsessed at the moment. I was kind of blown away when I started using this software because I've never kept track of calories before. I'm doing a bit of an overhaul of my diet because I eat way too much fat. I love cheese and normally put about 1/2 cup of crumbled feta on my salad, plus olive oil - that was over 30g of fat!

I have 10 extra pounds I've been carrying around since my heart surgery (over a year ago) and I've decided I'm going to have it off by mid-November.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:41 am      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
I wish I had an at home gym....I'd be SO motivated. My stupid gym doesn't have a/c so it gets hot and stinky with all the ladies in there (a very STRONG curry smell - yuck!)

I dunno if I'd wear the stupid workout outfits...I'd prolly wear my pajamas or my underwear (would save me a lot of laundry) Laughing

Huh? What?!?! Where do they make you workout, in a sweatshop? Laughing I've never come across a facility that didn't have central air available weird.

I have the stupid gazelle thing and use it if I don't go the gym and yes, I get lazy and just wear whatever and don't even bother putting on shoes.. Laughing

Normally I do spinning classes 3 times before work in the morning and then after work run at least 7 miles and strength train for a little over an hour. Just started doing pilates so I figure that in about 3 days a week also.

5% products discount

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I do cardio & play basketball almost everyday (except now, trying to recover from a muscle pull injury...damn it!) I hate weight training but I still do 3 times a week.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
My stupid gym doesn't have a/c so it gets hot and stinky with all the ladies in there (a very STRONG curry smell - yuck!)

That made me spit cranberry juice all over my keyboard! Laughing

I did one of the Turbo Jam workouts yesterday, they're fun & go by really fast.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm the workout queen. My favorite int/advanced DVD's are :
1.Cathe Freidrich
2.Turbo Jam (but hate ordering through Beachbody)
I'd suggest going to Collage Video. You can watch clips & get an accurate description on hundreds of exercise DVD's.
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
What is the formula for figuring out how many calories you burn? I workout with a heart rate monitor that knows my age and weight and the calorie calculator in it is radically different from any lists I've found on the internet for my weight and the machines I use at the gym. I think the machines are on the high side but this monitor seems to be on the low side. I was out dirtbiking for 50 minutes this afternoon. I wasn't riding super hard but I was standing up on the footpegs most of the time chasing my husband around and the monitor says I only burned 9 calories. I thought I'd burn more than that sitting here typing for 50 minutes!!

Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |