Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
aspirin mask and fine lines
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, I don't know if it is the combination of drinking more water (maybe it is the lemon water first thing in the morning!), use of PSF's retinol night cream and stimucoll, or the aspirin mask, but i just tried it (two aspirin, dissolved with equal parts aloe vera gel and whole yogurt) and i swear that my fine lines are more smoothed over than they have been in years! This mask is fantastic!
I heard that some people use it every morning--does anyone know how many times per week one should use this is one has normal skin? I don;t want to overdue the exfoliation--I use SC overnight renew dry (with aha) twice a week, and PSF pumpkin peel once a week, currently. FYI, I followed the mask up with a mix of avocado and emu oil, and then put HA serum over it.

best,
avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 11:23 am      Reply with quote
I agree, avalange...this mask was one of the coolest things I discovered on EDS! I, too, notice that my fine lines smooth out very noticeably when I use this mask. I usually mix the crushed aspirins with a little honey (read this somewhere in the DIY postings) so they stick to my face better.

Sounds like you have normal skin...but I'm wondering if the every-a.m. usage might be good for someone with oily (and not particularly sensitive) skin like me?

Thanks for posting this...looking forward to any advice offered!

Mary Smile
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
To be honest, I have been ignoring the aspirin mask threads so far... but now you've caught my attention.

I checked out the recipe in the DIY folder above... is that the one most people here agree with?

I think I might give this a try tonight! Wink

Any problems you guys have encountered or special tips?
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
My apologies in advance if this somehow gets posted twice! I thought I hit "submit" but I guess not because it didn't show up on the board... Embarassed

I haven't as yet been horribly creative with the aspirin mask...just have mixed it with honey so it stays on my face! And this isn't really a "mask", but I have mixed crushed aspirins with my OCM mixture (again, a trick I read on this board!). I don't do the OCM all the time, but I find that having the aspirins in the mix as a little extra exfolliant makes my face super-soft. Only thing is, I have to make sure to crush the tablets very fine and not get too vigorous with the scrubbing (which I have a tendency to do sometimes!)

I haven't had any problems at all using aspirin on my face, but I don't have very sensitive skin...it can take pretty much anything I put on it. I'm sure there are others that have to take it easy with this mask or have used other things to buffer the aspirin so their skin doesn't get irritated (I think yogurt might help with that..?).

Hope this helps some!
Mary Smile
razinkane
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. I have never given the aspirin mask any thought either but now, of course, I want to. In the DIY thread it says to dissolve the aspirin in hot water. Would that dissolve them completely of do you just wait until they get soft and them take them out of the water and then crush them? Do you use all three bases, aloe vera, yogurt, honey, of just pick one? Sorry so many questions but now I'm so exited about doing this as soon as possible.
Thanks
Rae
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rae!

I don't know if this is the correct way, but I just put a few aspirin in a shallow bowl, then add just a few drops of hot water. This seems to break them down just enough that I can easily crush them with the back of a spoon.

Since I've only tried using one base (honey) I'd be interested to hear if others have mixed them and how it works out!

Mary Smile
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
What else is in aspirin (uncoated kind) besides for acetylsalicylic acid? What is the % of salicylic acid in aspirin? Can't you just buy salicylic acid serums or pads or something? Would they do the same thing, or is there another effect or ingredient going on here with the aspirin? What about aloe vera gel? I heard that aloe vera contains salicylic acid. While white willow bark does not, it contains salicin which must first be converted in the digestion to salicylic acid.

"The Aloe vera plant contains at least six antiseptic agents: lupeol, salicylic acid, urea nitrogen, cinnamic acid, phenol, and sulfur."

http://www.hmscrown.com/Aloe_Works.htm

"A 1950 Russian study cites the presence of cinnamonic acid and salicylic acid in Aloe, two substances known as antimicrobial and antiinflammatory. In 1978, other studies found many other anti-inflammatory agents in Aloe."

http://www.innerself.com/Herbs/aloe_vera.htm

I read that aspirin also brakes down into acetic acid in water.

"Formulations containing high concentrations of aspirin often smell of vinegar. This is because aspirin can undergo autocatalytic degradation to salicylic acid in moist conditions, yielding salicylic acid and acetic acid."

I looked at a bottle of aspirin and I never take this stuff. It was talking about ingesting it internally and warning of an allergic reaction to aspirin that can cause skin swelling and redness/rash etc. I guess it's a common allergen for a lot of people? I don't ever remember taking aspirin so I was a little apprehensive about using it as a face mask because of possible reactions. "Skin reactions, angioedema, and bronchospasm have all been seen infrequently."

OK found this: http://www.bayeraspirin.com/products/oba/oba2.htm

And you can order it pure I guess? http://www.sciencekit.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_440939_A_pn_E_9467304
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
i just let the aloe vera gel and the yogurt dissolve the aspirin--i help it along with the tynes of a fork, but it dissolves into a grainy substance quite easily.
it smells really badly, though, and the grainy texture is not the easiest to spread, but just try to make it even!

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |