Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

anybody ever had jessner peel
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 10:22 am      Reply with quote
went to the derm office that other day and she recommended jessner peel. anybody ever got this done?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I've never even heard of this, actually. What did your derm say it was supposed to do, and how much is it?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 11:48 am      Reply with quote
well, in my case, it is supposed to peel my skin so I will stop getting breakouts. Ans she also said it is supposed to help clear out my acne scars. I think it costs around 100/treatment.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Also, according the following paper

Glycolic Acid versus Jessner's Solution: Which Is Better for Facial Acne Patients?
Seok Woo Kim, MD, Sang Eun Moon, MD, Jeong Aee Kim, MD, and Hee Chul Eun, MD

70% glycolic peel is comparable to jessner peel.

But hm.... isnt 70% glycolic peel pretty high? I have never had glycolic peel before.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Hey!

I used to work in a cosmetic dermatology practice (as an admin, not an aesthetitian!) and I recall that they did quite a few of these. I never had one myself, but the patients did get good results! Here's a link I found with general info about the peel...hope it's okay to post:

http://www.skinsite.com/info_jessner_peel.htm

Mary Smile
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Mary H. wrote:
Hey!

I used to work in a cosmetic dermatology practice (as an admin, not an aesthetitian!) and I recall that they did quite a few of these. I never had one myself, but the patients did get good results! Here's a link I found with general info about the peel...hope it's okay to post:

http://www.skinsite.com/info_jessner_peel.htm

Mary Smile

Mary,
tahnks for the info. I am just realyl worried coz my mom got some peels(dont know what) a few years back, and her skin was red like cooked lobster. phew.......
Anyway, how bout glycolic peel. Have you ever had one?
cheers
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have a friend who had one and had scaring. Embarassed
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Janie wrote:
I have a friend who had one and had scaring. Embarassed

had scarring from the peel? or had the peel because of scarring?
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hey roadtonowhere...

You're welcome for the info! I know what you mean about the lobster-red look...the stronger peels like a jessner tend to do that. Fortunately - at least in the case of all the patients I saw go through the office - it goes away, and the result was very nice, smooth skin.

But if you're still "iffy" on it, I would talk more with your derm...or maybe go for something like a lighter glycolic acid peel to start with. I did have those done, and they were wonderful! Can't recall exactly what % of glycolic acid they used on me, but I think it was on the lower end of the scale...20%, I believe (they could go all the way up to 70% glycolic). I was a little pink afterward, but it died down pretty quickly.

So, for what my 2 cents is worth, I'd just go with what you're comfortable with for now. You can always do a light peel to start, and if you tolerate that well, there is always time to move on to the strong stuff!

Hope this helps!
Mary Smile
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
tahnks for the suggestion Mary.....
Do you think I should get the peel in a spa or derm office? Very confused. Please help....
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
She has very light skin and developed scarring from the peel-it wasn't pretty.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Janie wrote:
She has very light skin and developed scarring from the peel-it wasn't pretty.

oh gosh..... are you serious....? Is the scarring like little dots (like acne scars) or big scars...? i am getting more worried now
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again, roadtonowhere!

I am by no stretch an expert on this stuff, so please take my suggestions with a monster grain of salt! Laughing But the place I worked at was billed as a "medical spa"...so it had a doctor and nurses on staff, as well as aesthiticians. The aesthiticians were really the ones that did the majority of the peels (they did all of mine), so I would think that going to a reputable aesthetician-staffed spa without a doctor around is not necessarily a problem.

However, if there is any concern about more medically related skin issues (sensitivity, potential scarring, etc.) I think I'd keep on talking with your dermatologist before you go elsewhere. If she is recommending a jessner and you are worried about the side effects, I'd just tell her everything you just said...that you are confused about this issue and you need more info before you can decide on a) what type of peel and b) where to have it done most safely and effectively.

At any rate, just take it slow and wait until you feel that you really have all the info you need in order to make an informed decision. There are tons of treatment options out there for you, so don't feel pressured to jump at the first one offered...

Hope this helps a little!
Mary Smile
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
[size=7][size=9][quote="Mary H."]Hi again, roadtonowhere!

I am by no stretch an expert on this stuff, so please take my suggestions with a monster grain of salt! Laughing But the place I worked at was billed as a "medical spa"...so it had a doctor and nurses on staff, as well as aesthiticians. The aesthiticians were really the ones that did the majority of the peels (they did all of mine), so I would think that going to a reputable aesthetician-staffed spa without a doctor around is not necessarily a problem.

However, if there is any concern about more medically related skin issues (sensitivity, potential scarring, etc.) I think I'd keep on talking with your dermatologist before you go elsewhere. If she is recommending a jessner and you are worried about the side effects, I'd just tell her everything you just said...that you are confused about this issue and you need more info before you can decide on a) what type of peel and b) where to have it done most safely and effectively.

At any rate, just take it slow and wait until you feel that you really have all the info you need in order to make an informed decision. There are tons of treatment options out there for you, so don't feel pressured to jump at the first one offered...

Hope this helps a little!
Mary Smile[/quote][/size][/size]

I agree with Mary. I didn't mean to get you so concerned but my friend wasn't warned about the potential scarring and she had scarring from the peel-small ones-but still scarring.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
Janie, Mary: Thank you so much for the suggestion... Maybe I should hold off on the peel. I just googled before and after peel pictures. Some of them have pretty scarry peeling. I dont know if I want to go through that <sigh>

Which one do you girls think less invasive. microderm or checmical peel?
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hey!

I think your idea to hold off on the peel is a good one. The peeling effect is not for everyone...I had a friend that did a major laser peel and when I saw her afterward I was shocked. Granted, she healed up and her skin looks fabulous...but if you're not up to the discomfort of the "post-peel-peeling" then best to stay away from it...at least for now!

I also have also had microderm done...professionally and I have my do-it-yourself machine (DermaNews). Just my opinion, but I'm thinking microderm, if done lightly, might be less invasive than a chemical peel. The aesthetician can turn down the microderm machine very low and adjust to your level of comfort with regards to how much abrasion, pressure, etc. to use. If you do it yourself at home with any number of the machines/kits available, you have even more control. Hmmm...maybe just for kicks try one of the kits you can get at the drugstore (L'Oreal, etc.) and see how you like that before going to a pro?

Mary Smile
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Mry, I tried one of those products that are supposedly mimic microderm. I tried epidermx (not doing anything for me), dr brandt microderm in a jar (crystals are a little too rough).

Prof microderm does not give you the ugly peel afterward, right? <Maybe> I should proceed with that. Also, any advice on which microderm I should be looking at, diamond tip or not?

And yeah, where did you get dermaNews from? My search in google did not return any at home microderm machine.
cheers
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again!

Well, I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't remember the name of the professional machine that the derms office used on me (it's been about 3 years since I worked there)! Embarassed I can recall what the machine looked like, but not the actual name of it...sorry!

But the microderm I had did not result in any sort of peeling. I was just a little "rosy" afterward, but no abrasions or damage to the skin at all. Of course, everyone's face is different, but a good aesthetician will ask a lot of questions and do a thorough evaluation of your skin before she begins the procedure. And of course, if you find it uncomfortable once things get started, she will simply adjust the intensity. In the office I worked in, all of us girls did it regularly...some tolerated a stronger microderm, whereas others with more sensitive skin kept the treatment very light. But all of us got great results, regardless!

Good grief...no wonder you didn't find "DermaNews" because Typo Queen here meant to say "DermaNew"! Laughing At any rate, I found their website, and the unit they have available is different from what I bought a few years ago (has much more bells and whistles): http://www.dermanew.com/Products/Details.asp?catID=30&pid=441
The one I have looks actually just like this unit from I-Skin: http://www.ulta.com/control/product/~product_id=2080534;jsessionid=4dk47kotdjilf.uprod1
And when I bought mine, it was $100.00...this unit appears to be a carbon copy and it's only $39.00! So, it might be something for you to consider...

Mary Smile
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Mary, gosh, you are really helpful. Talking to ppl from derm office, they make it sound like I have no other option but doing the jessner peel, which I am now very terrified of after seeing ppl's pic with peeling crusty skin on the web.

Back to the microderm, I called a bunch of spas today. Some of them say that I will see immediate result after first procedure and others say I wont. Whats your personal expereince?
cheers
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hey I thought I would chime in here about microderms and chemical peels.

Just about 8 months ago, I was a total novice with this type of stuff and had never even had so much as a facial -- so I am coming at this from a semi-amateur perspective, which might be helpful to hear.

I've experimented with both glycolic peels and microderms within the past few months. I have been pleased with the results of both of them, but must warn you not to expect miracles from either. With either treatment, your skin will be softer and look healthier but it is not like a "Wow, I have a new face and all my skin problems are gone!" type of thing. The results are subtle but nice.

For someone with concerns like the ones you have -- you seem apprehensive about the peel -- I might recommend microderm to begin with. In my experience at least, microderm seems to involve less variables and is therefore less subject to error. With peels, I've definitely had a couple where I left with some red marks and peeling (nothing drastic at all, but noticeable). With microderm, the only real thing I've noticed is that my face will be pretty pink for about a day after the treatment.

Then again, I don't think a glycolic peel is anything to be afraid of with a trained and licensed aesthetician. They do tons of peels and if you emphasize that you want something gentle and that you're not sure how your skin will react, I'm sure they'll listen.

I know nothing about this Jessner peel, but given your nervousness about it, it sounds like it would be best for you to consider microderm or glycolic peels first before diving into more intense skincare.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Do the glycolic peels kit taht they sell on the web(ie platinumskincare, i think) the same as the one used by spas?
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Hey roadtonowhere!

I am so glad Janis weighed in on this topic, 'cause I am in 100% agreement with everything she said! My experience was very similar to hers, in that I did glycolic peels along with microderms...and I second the notion that they are nothing to be afraid of as long as you are in the hands of a trained professional. But since you are still a bit sketchy about any sort of peeling treatment at the moment, I'd start with the microderm first and see how you like that. Again, I think Janis is on the money when she says that the results are "subtle but nice"...which is probably a good place for you to start right now. If you decide that the results are not dramatic enough, that's when you can talk about stepping it up to stronger peels or other options (lasers, etc.).

Hope all this helps...and please do keep us posted on what you ultimately choose as your first treatment!

Mary Smile
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere I get 70% or 60% glycolic acid peels every 4 to 5 weeks at my dermatologists. From what I have read in this thread it seems like the Jessner's peel is a little more intense than the ones that I get.

I think that peels are supposed to help with acne but in my case my acne hasn't improved since I have been getting the peels. I started getting peels to deal with clogged pores and must admit that my pores are alot more refined since I have been getting them. I do not have any acne scars but I do have red marks from pimples and have found that the peels DO help these marks fade a lot quicker. I occasionally get raw spots when I get my peels that do take a while to heal, so that is a risk. I have not had any permanent scarring though. To be honest I am thinking of stopping the peels but will continute for a few months at least since I currently have a lot of red marks from acne.

When I started getting my peels I started with a 20% solution and slowly increased to a 70% solution. That could be an option for you if you do decide to go with peels.

Most of all I would say to feel comfortable with whatever you decide to do and to feel comfortable with the person who is doing your procedure.HTH
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
I was curious about this Jessner peel so I looked it up on the Internet.

I did find this thread on a skincare message board, and I think it's worth reading through. Kind of a cautionary tale. http://www.clearskin.net/viewtopic.php?p=55283&sid=57f07f436ae2eae4b5e90ed11d4eb116

Of course, there are probably many accounts that would contradict the one above with glowing reviews.

Just do your research. If you decide to look into it further, it couldn't help to ask your esthetician/derm if (s)he could give you some referrals to talk to -- actual real people who can give you their stories and opinions. Or you could scour the Web and try to find more message board stories about the peel, maybe even get in contact with someone who's had it. Glazed over promotional stuff on the Internet is not going to cut it.
Janie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 8:54 am      Reply with quote
[[size=7]quote="roadtonowhere"]Do the glycolic peels kit taht they sell on the web(ie platinumskincare, i think) the same as the one used by spas?[/quote][/size]

Dear Road,
I have used Obaji with retin a for a couple of years and started with gly. peels at the derm and then purchased on line at platinum. I had 35% in the derms office and purchased 50%. They worked great-just follow the instructions. They do make a difference!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |