Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
My best tip for glowing, dewy skin and pore reduction
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
- fill your sink with cold water and ice cubes

- wash your face and cover it with a thin layer of Vaseline or petroleum jelly

- put a shower cap on and dunk your face below water, hold as long as you can, then tissue off all the vaseline and see your beautiful new face emerge

- my roommate used to use a snorkle so she could stay under the water longer! LOL. It really wasn't too cold for the face, since the Vaseline seems to insulate somewhat

BF
todiefor
5% products discount

Sat May 06, 2006 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to try melting some beeswax and adding some oil like Olive or Almond or Rice Bran Oil to make a natural version of Petroleum Jelly. It would be so much better for your skin.
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
This sounds like it would cause breakouts.. Barefootgirl does your skin ever breakout? If you're one of the lucky ones that never breaks out, I'd be afraid to try this. However if you do breakout and this doesn't seem to cause it, I may try it.. it sounds like it would soften the skin alot.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
todiefor wrote:
You might want to try melting some beeswax and adding some oil like Olive or Almond or Rice Bran Oil to make a natural version of Petroleum Jelly. It would be so much better for your skin.

Natural oils break me out more than Vaseline on and off in a few minutes ever would. Olive was the worse, big bumps like hives. Almond give me zits and if rice bran oil is any thing like wheat germ oil even more zits. I'll take mineral oil or vaseline over any of those any day.

Thanks for the tip, Barefootgirl! Smile
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 5:28 am      Reply with quote
I rarely break out, usually from a change in regimin or maybe around my period.

I use both Aquaphor and Vaseline - Aquaphor more often.

I personally believe this is one of the best products ever made for skin, especially mine.

I wear it at night when I want to moisturize (sometimes with some HA underneath).

I wear it after each chemical peel and it helps my skin heal really quickly.

I believe it's the best inert, occlusive moisturizer around.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to wear it in public and I understand why some people would shy away from it, believing it to be pore clogging (I'm sure it is for many).

BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Oh, I also wanted to reply to the comment about plant based products being better for your skin than manmade or mineral based....

As an inert, occlusive substance, petroleum jelly does not get absorbed - it sits on top of the skin, protecting the skin below, letting it heal or moisturize itself. As I understand it, plant-based products such as plant oils, are absorbed and metabolized or acted upon by the skin - so there could be a reaction, depending on the type of product you use.

If someone has further info on this, please let me know - thanks!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl I have been considering using an occlusive moisturizer after the chemical peels I have done at my dermatologists. It seems like alot of the post peel moisturizers are mostly petroleum jelly and seem way overpriced for what you are getting. The aquaphor sounds like a great inexpensive option.

I have a few questions do you apply it right after your peel and wash it off the next day or do you wait awhile after your peel to apply the aquaphor? Also do you apply it for one day or for several days post peel?

What you have been saying about plant based v. mineral based in interesting. I have also heard that plant based products are more likely to cause a reaction. When I think about it mineral oil and petroleum jelly have never irritated my skin. While I have had bad reactions to plant based oils. That could just be me though it would be interesting to see if others have had similar reactions. As to whether mineral oil and petroleum jelly cause breakouts, other than post peel use I would be unwilling to take a chance and use them everyday.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Petroleum is natural. Doesn't sound too attractive though. Dino-oil? Bad Grin

I think I'm going to start slathering on castor oil all over my face before I go to sleep. See what it does. I might end up stopping after the first night or two if I brake out or if my pillow gets big oil stains in it.

I'm not sure what leaving it on for only a few minutes would do. I don't understand...

Why put waterproof petroleum barrier on before ice water on the face, what does that do?
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Have you used castor oil like this before?

I just worry because many of the people who have broken out from OCM attribute it at least in part to the castor oil.

Also, it's my understanding that Castor Oil is a very drawing as opposed to moisturizing oil--but I could totally be wrong.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
I was told by an esthetician never to put my face in extreme hot or cold liquids. Don't know if there's any truth to that (honestly never know who to trust)...but if it were true would the Vaseline somehow counteract that?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 5:32 am      Reply with quote
tularyn wrote:
Have you used castor oil like this before?

I just worry because many of the people who have broken out from OCM attribute it at least in part to the castor oil.

Also, it's my understanding that Castor Oil is a very drawing as opposed to moisturizing oil--but I could totally be wrong.
Castor oil is also very drying so I definitely would not use it as a moisturizer or you're liable to wake up with completely dehydrated skin!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Carekate! hi!

I do not like Castor Oil. For my OCM, I just use cold pressed EVOO! Is that ok? EVOO is not an essential oil right? I use it to remove Sunblock.

I really like it and I just rinse it off with hot water! Is this wrong?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 6:14 am      Reply with quote
joziegrozy wrote:
Carekate! hi!

I do not like Castor Oil. For my OCM, I just use cold pressed EVOO! Is that ok? EVOO is not an essential oil right? I use it to remove Sunblock.

I really like it and I just rinse it off with hot water! Is this wrong?
No, EVOO is fine.

ETA:

You can find a list of essential oils and carrier oils at these links:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=419
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=233

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
janis, I would imagine this is because extremes of temperature (hot/cold) can cause burst capillaries and aggravate rosacea.

Personally I wouldn't use Vaseline on my face - there are too many much nicer alternatives some of which have already been mentioned!

Lucia (ex esthetician)

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
I saw a product advertised as pore shrinking with photos to "prove" it that was basically glycolic and lactic acid. I have been using glycolic peels for over a year now and although my skin tone and roughness have dramatically improved I can't say pores are a lot better (they are smaller in appearance than when I started but not dramatically).

OCM with salicylic acid has kept my pores cleaner and less large looking.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 3:25 am      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
I saw a product advertised as pore shrinking with photos to "prove" it that was basically glycolic and lactic acid. I have been using glycolic peels for over a year now and although my skin tone and roughness have dramatically improved I can't say pores are a lot better (they are smaller in appearance than when I started but not dramatically).

OCM with salicylic acid has kept my pores cleaner and less large looking.
I know you know this, Sharky, but for the benefit of our newbies: the reason salicylic acid works better at keeping pores clean and therefore appearing smaller is because it is the only one of the AHA/BHAs that is actually able to penetrate down IN to the pores. Glycolics and Lactic acid work on top of the skin, dissolving the "glue" that holds skin cells together.

For more info, check out this link: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=321

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi Theresa,

After a chemical peel, I usually wash my face with cool water, carefully pat dry, then apply a thin layer of Aquaphor. For the next couple days, I wash my face twice a day with a very mild cleanser, pat dry, then apply the Aquaphor.

Around the third day, I switch to lanolin which basically completes the healing process.

All of this caused my healing period to speed up by a few days - with less pain, itching and irritation.

I learned about it from a dermatology researcher who gave herself professional strength peels at home.

Good luck, BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 11:23 am      Reply with quote
<<Why put waterproof petroleum barrier on before ice water on the face, what does that do?

I am guessing that the jelly protects the skin from direct contact with the cold water since it could be very drying to the skin to be in water that long?

It's the coldness of the water that I believe causes the pores to contract and appear smaller.

Of course, this is all a temporary effect, but my friends and I do this before a big party or social event and it makes the skin look great for several hours.

I think one of them first read about it more than 20 years ago in Cosmo - it was Helen Gurley Brown's tip for an evening of beauty.

BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 11:24 am      Reply with quote
Oh I forgot one more thing -

the petroleum jelly buffers the impact of the cold water so you can stay it in longer without feeling cold.

BF
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |