Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
I'm wondering: Why don't spa brands go department store?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Since finding this forum, I think I've become more knowledgeable about skin care than my girlfriend.

Which I kind of regret, as ignorance is bliss. You see, I now know she hasn't been making the wisest purchasing decisions. For all she uses are department store brands (which hasn't yielded a single skin care Holy Grail despite copious amounts of money exchanging hands -- however, she does love Guerlain foundation). And so where I used to pretend to be bewildered, but actually filled with affection for her femininity upon seeing her drawers and drawers of Guerlain, Clarins, Lancome, Chanel, etc. -- now I'm actually bewildered. Instead of buying yet again the latest Guerlain orchid extract product, I'd prefer her to try a low concentration vit C serum from any of the brands so oft-recommended here. But she won't do it unless it says Guerlain on the bottle.

I don't blame her for her insistance on department store brands. There are no Western-trained dermatologists in our area, and the aestheticians at the spas we've gone to all seem to be working off dated knowledge -- such as using a scrub that physically hurt her face, but was explained as improving circulation. And when it comes to the Internet, my girlfriend is still stuck in 1990s technology wariness. When I tell her about EDS, she's polite, but I know a part of her thinks we're cyberspace wackos whose advice about anything shouldn't be followed -- lest of all products that touch the face. (No offense to anyone, but I went to the Long Hair Community site to learn more about the Oil Cleansing Method... and that site did freak me out! Those pictures -- like The Ring!) I've gone ahead and ordered some of this forum's most popular products for my girlfriend to try. And perhaps like buying diamond jewelry off the Internet, she thinks it's fishy I'm ordering products she can't find on Main Street. She's afraid some of these companies are just fly-by-night operations. (And I have to say I can see why. Going to some of their sites, there are ambiguous About pages, un-updated news sections, under construction areas and I thought Thor Norse God of Thunder would smite me on the ISClinical page.)

All this has led me to question: Why don't spa brands move into the department store (and make my life much easier)? They would make credibility gains in the mind of the average consumer. Not to mention greater accessibility. Future daughters will likely suffer less if those visits to the mall have Dermalogica cleansers sitting next to Clinique bar soaps. If upstarts such as Freeze 24-7 can get into 5th Avenue stores, why can't spa brands?

I know some brands don't want to alienate client spa owners, who actively promote their products. But these brands also must surely know many spas and dermatologists are offering many different lines without promoting any specific one, and becoming much more retailer than services provider. So if spas are going to move out of the services arena and into the retail arena, they really shouldn't object to spa brands opening up their products to traditional retailers. Besides, I don't think department stores would muscle out the spas. Department stores never have the best prices, or the hottest new brands. Plus they'd be raising general public awareness of these brands and increasing the market.

And now I have another question: If the spa brands we all hear about are in general more effective than the department store brands we all hear about, why don't the department store brands emulate the spa brands? They have deep pockets, and L'Oreal did acquire Skinceuticals. So why don't the department store brands introduce vit C serums and glycolic acid (in useful concentrations)?

Is the world this fair? Small companies make the worthwhile products but can't get the word out. And big companies can get the word out, but for whatever reason don't have any worthwhile products?
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Hiya, good point! Maybe because these spa companies focus on their R&D more than their marketing (which is good for us)! Maybe in order to have "shelf space" in department stores, which is expensive, you need to invest a lot in marketing, and maybe that is not in the mission/vission of most spa companies. Smile just my two cents!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 6:57 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree with you, RMB. However, one thing that might help your gf to feel better about these brands that aren't sold in department stores is that many of them, such as Decleor, Caudalie, Juice Beauty, Dermadoctor, etc, are sold in Sephora right alongside the traditional heavy hitters such as Chanel, Clinique, etc. I think it's very thoughtful of you to try to buy your gf more effective products--- let us know if youfind anything she likes!^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 8:21 am      Reply with quote
freeze 24/7 is at my local Bay dept. store...

Decleor is at the downtown Sears store...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
(No offense to anyone, but I went to the Long Hair Community site to learn more about the Oil Cleansing Method... and that site did freak me out! Those pictures -- like The Ring!)

Quote:
and I thought Thor Norse God of Thunder would smite me on the ISClinical page.

I'm almost in tears of laughter - you're soooo right!!!! Laughing

And you've made some good points there.

One other factor is that some of the more established spa brands seem to prefer to retain an air of exclusivity and also may believe that their products' reputation would be somehow diminished by having them available in every Tom, Dick and Harry department store.

It's a shame, as there are so many fantastic brands I'd love to be able to buy more easily. As far as I'm concerned, I think that some brands are cutting off their nose to spite their face.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Are you in the States? If so, then I definitely second Sephora as a great introduction to some of the different brands that are around. No woman could resist, I'm sure, and it's a great place to browse without a department store SA pouncing on you every other minute. Neiman Marcus often stocks some of the more niche brands and is definitely worth a look too. Kudos to you for taking such an interest, and welcome to the forum!
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:38 am      Reply with quote
RMB wrote:
(And I have to say I can see why. Going to some of their sites, there are ambiguous About pages, un-updated news sections, under construction areas and I thought Thor Norse God of Thunder would smite me on the ISClinical page.)

heeeheeehee, this is so true! Some websites are interesting. Have you seenwww.skinbiology.com now that's some heavy reading! Very Happy
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard it's because many of the spa brands, i.e. Dermalogica are only to be used after professional advice/consultation by a qualified beauty therapist. But I've used many of the spa brands before without a consultation & my freakishly sensitive skin has been fine.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
I could'nt help myself from answering this one!!!From what I know the lines of products you see in Spas are considered, "professional" product lines. This means that they also make very strong products that are only used in the treatments. If you get into understanding the ingredients (an interest of mine), you will quickly find out that the majority of spa skin care lines are MUCH better quality than what you can get at the deparment store. The spa lines are more active I suppose and specific to certain skin types or problems.

Many estheticians also say that spa products are more exclusive, such as Valmont, or similar brands. There are also product companies that started out as very high quality spa skin care such as decleor, and now you can buy them in the mall. Who really knows the reasoning behind this, yet from what I have seen the majority of spa lines have cleaner, more effective ingredients. I am definitly no product expert by any means, yet I have never purchased department store products. I have always gone to a spa and used product that were given to me based on a consultation. I also read the ingredients and when there are more chemicals than natural ingredients the product very quickly loses its appeal!!!!!

Feliz
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I strongly agree with Feliz's comment on this topic.

Before I discovered EDS website, I had no choice, just bought all my skincare from department stores/drugstores and I had no knowledge of the products at all.

The brands at department stores are so commercial and people are attracted by their advertisement on TV, magazines.

I go for facial several times a year but I notice that not every esthetician can help you find a good product that really suits your skin.
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
bb200,

You have said it exactly; that it is marketing that sells the majority of department store products. EDS is excellent as you can search any product, or post a question and get real people who have real skin problems, who offer their personal advice. I have not meant anyone who really knows everything about skin or how to help all skin problems, yet when you have a huge group of people who offer feedback it is more accurate!!

Another interesting thing is several years ago Oprah had this guy on her show. He wrote the book "The Mad Cowboy". It is based on all the grotesque animal byproducts used in cosmetics. The texan ranchers basically sueded both the man and Oprah (for having him on her show). Lets just say the rancher did not win. My point here is that there are a ton of department store brands like Loreal and many other French cosmetic companies that use filthy animal byprodcuts such as animal rendering in their products. Now that is vile!!!! I have done research into skin care products and their ingredients and I must say the more you learn the more horrifying it seems to be!! You can spend a lot of money on absolute crap products.

I could go on all day.....

Feliz
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |