Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Digital Cameras
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
So I'm finally considering taking the plunge and purchasing a digital camera, but with so many choices, I don't have a clue what to choose.

What do you use and what do you look for in a digital camera?
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Look for at least 3MP (good enough for 4X6 photos, go for higher MP if you plan to print larger photos), higher optical zoom (at least 3X) and large lense.
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if its really any good as I haven't looked into it (I'm not in the market for a new camera right now).. but the new Sony one that doesn't turn out blurry looks awesome. You know the commercial where the guy takes a picture of a hummingbird and the other guy goes "Yeah that would have turned out blurry on my camera". I wish I had that technology on my camera. I paid around $500 for mine quite a few years ago and it's already so outdated. Sad
My dad got the new Nikon D50 which he said is good but it should have come with more megapixels (that's what he said)... I would REALLY love the Nikon D2X!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
i have a nikon. it is 7 MP. I got it for a little over 300. it is very very good to take still pic. However, it is not good to take moving pic. But then again, no digital cameras are good enough to take moving pic. You have to get and SLR camera for that.

I would suggest that you look into either nikon or canon. Canon is just overall good(but more expensive). Nikon is a good camera maker (traditional non digital cameras by nikon are very good).

Casio cameras have pretty bad lcd (I forgot where i read it, but I was gonna get this brand before I was turned off by this fact).

I dont know about Sony. Sony makes very good computers. I have purchased 2 sony laptops. One of them is now 6 years old, and I am telling you, I have never had any problem. If you were gonna buy a computer, I would highly suggest Sony. However, I dont know about their digital cameras.

Also, if you go towww.cnet.com, you can see a bunch of reviews for various digital cameras.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
If we're going by brand name, I would say Canon.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
It all depends on what are you going to use it for. If only for traveling photo shooting then 4MP is much more than enough. I have a 5MP and 6MP the result is almost the same.

If you are in US, get it from Costco, you can always trade in for a better model.

Sat May 13, 2006 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Look for bigger optical zoom, big lens to let in the light, at *least* 3MP or more if you plan on printing them out larger. Also, look for something compact. I have a fabulous Fuji camera that cost me more than I care to admit and it takes by far better pictures than any of my other digital cameras but I rarely take it with me anywhere because it's almost the full SLR size and I can't just put it in my pocket or handbag like I can with others.

A very good resource for those wanting to buy a camera is thewww.dpreview.com site. It's camera reviews by professionals - I *always* check this site for reviews of any camera that I am thinking of purchasing. Steve's Digicams http://www.steves-digicams.com/ is another fab site with info.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I think you can get digital SLR cameras now- more expensive but they definitely take great still or moving pictures.

Good luck with the purchasing. I was just given my first one as a present- is 5MP and 12x Optical zoom, and it works very well for the types of photos I take. Optical zoom is somehow better than digital zoom- it is clearer but I have forgotten why!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Canon Digital Cameras are known for having an "E18" error which is fatal to the camera. Do a search on google for more info about it but it tends to happen if the camera gets jolted or dust gets into it. It's pretty common..

My parents have an HP camera that's caused them a few problems with it freezing up. HP charged them $100 and traded it in for a 'new' camera which was really refurbished and my mom returned it 4 times before getting one that works properly.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 12:08 am      Reply with quote
I have a Canon Powershot A530 and love it! My only complaint is it doesn't have rechargeable batteries...it uses standard AAs. This has it's advantages, too, since you can buy batteries in a pinch if it's out of juice, but it can get pricey.
kez
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I also have a Canon its about 3 years old now but still takes great pictures and I havent had any problems with it at all.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Count me in as another Canon fan. It's time for me to get a newer model and it's about the only brand I'll consider. Plus, I can be sure it'll play nicely with my Canon printer.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
You better go for Cannon as their lens are so good and well known.
Liss
5% products discount

Tue May 16, 2006 3:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

We have two digital cameras one is olympus C-50ZOOM and the other is Canon EOS.
I have only ever used olympus and canon. I like both brands equally, but I had to turn in a canon camera once that broke before I have taken a singel pic, turns out it was made from plastic!

This is what we considered before we made our pushase.

In random order.

1. Battery capacity (We like to travel to foreign countries with different voltage so we need a battery which would handle daily use for upto ten days without beeing recharged.) - We ended up getting a second battery.

2.Memorycard, how many pic does the memorycard hold. This is different at each "quality level". The higher the quality is, less pic can you take. (I think our Olympus has three different "quality levels". I usually take pic at highest quality level, because I want the pic to be the best they can be, they usually turn out pretty good)

The first two things you can fix farely easily by purshasing additional equipment.

3. Do you need zoom? Is it easy to use? Based on personal experience I would recommend getting one with zoom, I always use it. My bf mother has one without, and we often end up emaling them pics becourse ours turn out better. Our Canon Camera comes with detachabel lense so you can change depending on need. Cameras without zoom are usually much cheaper.

4. How long is the "respose-time"(the time it takes from the button is pushed till the pic is taken). If it takes to long the "kodakmoment" has passed by the time the picture it taken.

5. Is it easy to use, again with time, how long does it take before the camera is turned on until is ready to take pics. Also is it easy to acsess the album to see the pics you have taken. Our olympus camera shows the last pic taken for a few seconds, then you have to turn the camera off and on again to acess the menu. Not to handy when everyone is gathering around to see how the pic turns out.
Is it easy to use special functions like black/white pics. As my brazilian model friend says, every one looks cuter in black and white,(it was not to hard to figure out whom she was talking about, as she was taking a pic of the two of us Smile ) Which brings me to another special feature, what about selfrelease button? How does the camera adjust to surrondings like sunlight and night time darkness, is it easy to adjust it youself?

6. LSD screen. What size do you want. By experience I would say that the bigger ones are handy when it comes to sharing pics you have just taking (passing around camera for every one to see at a party or something like that) But if you would like to look at the screen while taking pics in sunlight, I find that the smaller screens better. Plus I think they use less battery.

7. Megapixel. I have heard three at the least. Our Olympus have 5, Which I have found sufficiant enough. The other one is so advanced I have no idea how many.

8. Size/Material. How robust is it? Can you drop it or have it i you purse without it breaking it? Is it protected againt humitity and rain? We origianlly bought the olympus camera as an allround camera. But then my boyfriend went out and splurged on the mirror reflecting Canon camera(Boys and their toys) The Canon camera is great!! but it is not a camera you bring every where due to size/price. The olympus camera is about the lenght and width of a deck of cards. But it is a deck and a half "fat". Today I would definently bought a smaller one.

From Liannes post,

My parents have an HP camera that's caused them a few problems with it freezing up. HP charged them $100 and traded it in for a 'new' camera which was really refurbished and my mom returned it 4 times before getting one that works properly.

HP, Hewlett Packard has only made cameras for a short time. The first cameras they put on the marked was rated really bad in tests, all kinds of problems.

Hope this helps, if you where able to get to the end.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Ulana,
I think it's best to going to the store and talk to a sales person. They can direct you to a good camera for you based on what type of pictures you are going to take, and you can physically hold the cameras to see how easy they are to use. Then, before you purchase, check out overstock.com. They have a lot of different brands at some pretty good deals. I bought mine off of them and saved $100 over the store cost, plus got a great deal on a memory card.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Liss wrote:

From Liannes post,

HP, Hewlett Packard has only made cameras for a short time. The first cameras they put on the marked was rated really bad in tests, all kinds of problems.

Hope this helps, if you where able to get to the end.

I told them not to buy HP....It's garbage. I guess my cousin's husband liked it and my dad knowing nothing took his word on it and purchased it. Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your input - I'm going this Friday to a bunch of shops to look and see what there is!
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
So I ended up buying a Panasonic DMC FZ7 - and I have to say, I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks for all your input and advice!!
Wawa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I got a Cannon SD400 about 2 years ago, it works pretty well for me, user-friendly and very sleeky looking Smile.

PS: There're many DC review (both editors' and consumers') forums online, a google search will return tons of them. Check them out before you make a purchase, it helped me out a great deal.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |