Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone tried Clarins new UV Plus SPF 40 Sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Reading my new glossy mag, I've seen an advert for a new Clarins sunscreen. It sounds fantastic - but I'm wondering whether it lives up to the hype.

So has anyone tried Clarins UV PLUS SPF 40 Protective Day Screen?

Here's the blurb & the ingredients:

A lightweight oil-free liquid veil that gives intense sun and pollution protection. Sits imperceptibly over any day cream and beautifully under make-up. Using the very latest micronized and micro-dispersed 100% Mineral Filters which deliver invisible high level UVB, UVA, Infra-red and hyper-pigmentation protection. And White Tea extract which gives effective free-radical protection even when pollution levels are at their summer peak. Leaves skin with an incredibly velvety-soft finish which provides a super-smooth, long-lasting base for make-up.

Ingredients
Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide. Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclomethicone, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Alcohol Denat., Aluminum Hydraoxide, Stearic Acid, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 8:43 am      Reply with quote
OH MY GOD. This stuff is amazing. Just amazing. It literally disappears into your skin--- no residue, no nothing. It's like you never even put anythig on. Since I have oily skin it's perfect for me, but if you have really dry skin I'd recommend putting on a moisturizer first.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Liz!

Just so happens that I'm due to buy more sunscreen, and I've already got a few I'm thinking of...but now I've read your post, and I'm intrigued! I've got oily skin like you, and I'm thinking if you're raving about this, perhaps it'd be good for me, too! It says it's a liquid...is it a really thin consistency, or more like a light lotion?

Mary Smile
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi Mary! I would call this a liquid--- it's got a really thin consistency. If you've been looking for a non-chemical sunscreen that you can't feel on your skin, I don't think it gets much better than this. (I just wish it weren't so pricey!!)

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I just received a sample of this last week and have used only twice. As others have shared, this is more of a thin liquid product with a nice texture and absorbs well into the skin. I applied this after my vit. C serum, and before my moisturizer. Because it absorbs so nicely, I didn't have that balling up effect that can happen when layering certain products. I will be purchasing the full size product for summer!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Liz! You're right...it's a little pricey, but if it's as great as everyone says (I read some rave reviews on Makeup Alley) perhaps it's worth it! I can use just about any sunscreen on my body, but it's hard to find one that's not too heavy to use on the face...

Hmmm...credit card is calling me... Laughing

Mary Smile
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Oooh, thanks, ladies. It's sounding good. I'm really hoping I might be able to persuade a Clarins SA to give me a sample to try.

If I do, I'll report back with my verdict, too. Could be just what we've been looking for.
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Debra, I totally know what you mean about the “balling up” effect when you layer a bunch of products! I use quite a few things one on top of the other, so it’s great to hear that this works so well with serums and moisturizers!

Majorb…will keep my fingers crossed you can get ahold of a sample! Keep us posted!

Mary Smile
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
What stores in Canada carry Clarins? I'd like to try this.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 9:00 am      Reply with quote
lily wrote:
What stores in Canada carry Clarins? I'd like to try this.

The Bay carries it. Don't forget, the only active is TO so you're not getting broad spectrum here...that being said, it sounds nice for an everyday one..not for the beach.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Is it for UVA or UVB?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 8:05 am      Reply with quote
The blurb says that it's for both.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Titanium Dioxide almost provides broad spectrum protection. Here are the specifics:

UVB range 280-315 wavelengths

UVA range 315-400 wavelengths

Titanium dioxide protects from the 290-700 wavelengths. So technically it does not cover the complete UVB spectrum.

Is this something to be concerned about? I don't know.
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Theresa:

Where did you get that info? Thanks! That is really helpful.

Do you know what zinc oxide covers in terms of wavelengths?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi lily,

I got the information from Paula Begoun's "The Beauty Bible". It is also on her website:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/. I can't get the exact page linked for some reason. Just look under learn/sun essentials.

Zinc Oxide covers the same wavelenghts as the titanium dioxide.

BTW for those Paula skeptics (I am one myself), I have read this information elswhere!!
Marichka
5% products discount

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
I found this old thread while looking for an answer to a question in the "sunscreen" thread- what sunscreen can you use under MMU? It looks like my LRP is not good, and a lot of other sunscreens contain avobenzone as well...

Anyway, it sounds like this sunscreen from Clarins is a very good non-chemical sunscreen. Ladies who wrote rave reviews about it almost a year ago, could you confirm that you still like it? Wink

The only question I have: TheresaL wrote that Zinc Oxide covers the same wavelenghts as the titanium dioxide. So what would be the point of using Clarins under my MMU? I desperately need your advice before spending $40 for yet another sunscreen.. Thank you so much!
lindia99
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I tried a sample before. It's a good sunscreen if don't care the price and the size. I'm comb. skin. The texture is light and not greasy. It will not let you feel dry and have a mist on your face.
But it's pricy and the size is too small to last one summer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! And sorry to be the lone dissenter but...I used this last summer when it was really humid and found it to be too oily, and I have Normal skin! The cyclodimethicone (silicone) does it to me. Actually I liked Neutrogena Age Shield SPF 30 Broad Spectrum Sunblock much better @1/3 the price. fawnie

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
I still use it and I like it, however I may not repurchase as I'm going to give Juice Beauty's TM a try and that contains SPF 30. I find that using Clarins after my moisturizer before my MMU sort of enhances my flakies in that it's more drying than a moisturizer (obviously) so I'd have to use a primer afterwards and I'm too lazy to. I also find that you can mix your MMU with the Clarins to make a TM because Clarins is more of a liquid consistency.

I haven't gotten burned with Clarins and it has lasted me quite a while because I only use it on my face. I believe MMU only gives you SPF of around 15 but to get the full 15 you'll have to apply A LOT. So MMU alone probably doesn't give you enough sun protection.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 am      Reply with quote
I use it still and really like it. My face is still deathly pale too!

However, I was concerned to read that some other forum members have found it not to be so effective as protection against the sun. Therefore, I'm investigating other sunscreens at the moment, just in case. In fact, Molly posted about a site called bobodave.com where you can buy samples of Sofina - which I've just done.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
this is one the best product that I have to have every day. I have dry skin and I felt protected every day from sun burn and radiation
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi majorb, I tried this and liked it but won't repurchase. As much sunscreen as you're supposed to use to be effective, at nearly $40.00 an oz I just can't justify the price. Instead, I've found Juice Beauty spf30 tinted moisturizer to be a much better value.

Of course, if money is no object.... Very Happy then I'd probably go with Clarins, yummy texture that doesn't leave too much shine behind.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I tried it & actually finished it..well it's so small, that wasn't hard to do. Even though I have oily skin, I wasn't crazy about the slimy texture. Plus, I wasn't confidant about the protection since the sunscreen ingredient is only TO. If I go for physical block, then I prefer To & ZO at least. If having only TO in it isn't a concern, L'Occitane makes an spf 40 that gets raves on MUA & is available on EDS. It's called Very Precious fluid spf 40 & supposedly mattifies as well.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:39 am      Reply with quote
I really really like this sunscreen. i've tried E.L and Clinique and also H SPF22 for Kids before and the Clarins is the best so far. I am intrigued by Solfina though. What do you say, majorb?
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:43 am      Reply with quote
does this product make u break out cos iv got such terrible skin that anything could cause ZITS
thanks
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |