Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
inline skating
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 12:38 am      Reply with quote
i am desperate to get back into shape again as i've just been a slug this winter. there don't seem to be gyms per se in paris and the apartment is too tiny for any equipment (plus it's now gorgeous outside!). i've been wanting to take up inline skating which i've tried only once a few years ago. i was actually quite good at the skate part as i grew up ice skating and skiing. my problem was the stopping. i can't Shock

anyways, any tips and what to look for when buying skates would be greatly appreciated.

tia
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 7:09 am      Reply with quote
i guess your only choices will be colour and price, seeing as you will most likely get inline skates for recreational use. when i got my first skates i was overwhelmed by the different types but quickly realised that most of them were not what i needed, i.e. racing, tricks etc... so i basically chose the best looking pair from a reputable brand. just try on a few pairs to see which feel most comfortable because that's the most important thing.

oli
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 8:01 am      Reply with quote
I love skating! In fact, it's the only form of exercise that I truly enjoy. Plus, it's great for firming up the fanny Razz

I definitely would say to try on many pairs of skates and buy the skates that fit your feet the best. I would stay away from the cheapest skates, but the mid-range skates have been just fine for me.

BTW, I couldn't find skates with enough arch support for my feet, so I bought some good arch support inserts from the drugstore, which has made all the difference!

Also, invest in good knee and wrist guards, especially since you're not good at stopping! Wink

- B
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
thank you both! and don't worry, i plan to get *full* protection, possibly even the pad that protects your bum. as a former skier since i was a wee one, i know i've learned to lean back when losing control -- not so good on skates, i know. Very Happy thank you very much for your suggestion, Bee, about arch supports. i have a pair of SuperFeet in my hiking boots i think i'll take to the store.

here's the rub. the places to skate in paris are pretty rough terrain. i was looking online at the k2 vo2 max that have 90mm wheels -- supposedly bigger is better for this, no? i'd like to be able to skate everywhere eventually and that will mean, gulp, occassional cobblestones not to mention an inordinate amount of dog sh-- weaving.

in my online search, i also noticed something called landrollers that have two huge irregular out of line wheels that are supposed to be perfect for terrain like i'll be skating. has anyone heard of these? check it out -- i'm hugely tempted! http://www.landroller.com
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
my method of stopping is to slow down and grab something, if I need to stop in a BIG hurry I just fall down. I rollerblade in areas where there's very litte traffic, no side roads..and few people.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 12:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Bee and everyone else, I'm an old lady 52, but I;m interested in skating. besides getting the equipt. How would you suggest i learn, trial-n-error or take lessons? and where do people teach this. Thanks, Janet.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 12:56 am      Reply with quote
Janet,

you're young!!! i think taking lessons is seriously the way to go in the beginning. they seem to offer them all over. where are you located? i'm going to try and find a teacher myself here that speaks *some* english. i wish i could use lianne's method of stopping Laughing but i'm afraid i'm smack dab in the city.
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi Janet,

I was in my late thirties when I first started skating, but was sixty pounds overweight and extremely klutzy!

If you're a beginner, I highly stress finding a path that is very flat and as smooth as possible -- even a small decline is treacherous in the beginning. Empty parking lots are very boring, but if there is nowhere else, they are a good place to start.

Expect to feel less than graceful in the beginning -- I looked and felt like an idiot at first, but I got the hang of it after a while.

I'm still not great at braking -- I practice every time I go out. The main thing is to center your weight over your skates, and keep your arms close into your sides. Balance with the arm opposite your braking side forward, and the arm on your breaking side back. Sort of like you're posing for a bowling trophy. Practice this going very slowly on a smooth flat area, and you'll get the hang of it without too many bumps and bruises Wink.

Another thing to practice is to turn around quickly. I use this much more than braking to avoid danger.

BTW, Tia, I guess I'm lucky in that I have my bum padding built right in! Bad Grin

--B
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |