Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Helping oily skin look semi-matte not dry
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 6:19 am      Reply with quote
My skin is "normal" but after I apply my skin prep (AlphaDerma, Cellcosmet...), then TNS, then Vit C & DMAE & finally AlphaDermaCE & DermaExcel7, it becomes pretty greasy looking. Actually if I just use the Cellcosmet UltraVital or Nelly de Vuyst Elastin & Collagen the same thing happens. Embarassed
I'm 54 & think I had better use all of the anti aging products that I can. My skin looks excellent (thank you EDS) but I'm coming up on some special outings (my son is getting married Smile Smile Sad Smile Smile ) and I will be needing to wear some sort of makeup - which I have never ever done in the past! - so I need a little help here, please Confused
Whenever I use products for oily skin, my skin looks parched even though it's exfoliated and I drink lots of water. Any time I have tried makeup, it slides off within a couple of hours. I tried the Jane Iredale pressed powder & my skin became the "Little Shop of (giant) Pores). Not to mention settling in creases & mini-wrinkles Rolling Eyes .
So all in all I need a matte something, that sort of looks dewey that I can apply a bit of makeup on. I plan to do it twice if I need to on the day of the wedding. Everyone here has always been more than helpful - better than anyone trying to sell their particular product at a sales counter Exclamation . Thank you, thank you!
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Ok, I don't have an answer for exactly what you are looking for, but I thought I would suggest MAC blotting powder if you can't find anything else?

I have heard mixed reviews about MAC, and I'm not sure whether to continue using their line, but I have used the blot powder for so long now, it's my saviour. It's extremely light and just takes away oil without putting any color on....Would that help maybe?
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Do you mean the blotting papers? If so, I do use them, particularly under the pads from my eyeglasses & on my nose. They do work & that's one good suggestion.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
RuthMarion are you looking for a foundation or a powder. If you are looking for a foundation, you might want to try Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF42. I have oily, dehydrated skin and this works well for me. This stuff stays on until you remove it, even on oily areas. I still need to use blotting papers during the day but this has a nice finish... sort of matte but a little dewy (at least on my skin). I can't really rate it on wrinkles but I don't notice it settling in the creases around my nose. I rarely use foundation and tend to feel too made up when I do but I have noticed that I can get this to look pretty natural. It is recommended to apply this liberally to get the full sunscreen coverage but I apply this lightly and use sunscreen underneath. I also use a little powder over it (usually Shiseido pressed powder or Becca loose powder). HTH
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
Do you mean the blotting papers? If so, I do use them, particularly under the pads from my eyeglasses & on my nose. They do work & that's one good suggestion.

No, its actually a pressed powder in a compact called "blotting powder". It has no color really, just blotting capabilities.
anbloom
5% products discount

Sat May 20, 2006 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
You could try Smashbox Anti-Shine which you put on over the oily areas before you do your makeup. Smashbox then also makes an anti-shine compact which you blot the little sponge onto the anti shine and then pat/blot your face with it (you don't rub it in) this goes on after your makeup and can be reapplied if you get shiny. I also recently purchased Korres Natural Products Lemon Anti-shine gel. It is another one that you put on before your makeup, I like this one because it is a more natural product for my somewhat sensitive skin. All three of these can be found at Sephora.com I am not sure where you are from but if you have a Sephora close by you could go in there and tell them you want a anti-shine product and they will let you try them out in the store to see which you like. Good luck!
Mabsy

Sun May 21, 2006 1:27 am      Reply with quote
I was going to suggest Jurlique Rose Silk Dust (or the lavender one, whichever) followed my mineral makeup but it seems that you haven't had luck with the mineral makeup. Just use a normal foundation or tinted moisturiser and then use the Jurlique silk dust (if you have any) to set it - the silk dust works very well to control shine but you can apply less and get that semi-matte look.
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 4:45 am      Reply with quote
I went to a local drugstore & they had a rep from Neostrata & she had a gizmo that measured skin moisture (?). I was well hydrated & want to keep things that way so I have been wondering about an oily skin moisturizer (sounds like an oxy moron). I will certainly look into more of the Smashbox line. I purchased their primer (they said you could wear it without makeup) & while it helped, it didn't last long - maybe I should add the compact anti shine product with it - but I'm on the right track..... & I've always wanted to try the Jurlique silk dusts so this may be my opportunity! Thank you, one and all Wink .
P.S. Anbloom, is the Korres Lemon Anti-Shine Gel heavy?
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Another vote for MAC Blot! IT is my savior when I have to get my photo taken...it takes away all tzone shine!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have 2 suggestions that may help.

One is to perhaps choose to alternate the products that you are using outside of the basic cleanser and lotion so that you are getting them all in at least 3 times a week but not all at the same time. Your skin may not be able to absorb all of the products at once, and if that is the case then you are missing out on the benefits of some of them.

The other suggestion is to try a primer before applying makeup so that you the surface that you will need to apply your makeup. The hot topic of late is using Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer (you can get a free sample here, however I hear that it is not expensive at all and you can pick it up at most local pharmacies http://www.monistat.com/soothingcare/request_sample_buffer.htm)

I know I said 2, but I have one other suggestion... A product that I just started using that I absolutely LOVE... It is by Ice Elements and is called 2-Minute Miracle Exfoliating Gel. I immediately noticed after using it that my lotions and serums sunk into my skin much better after using the product as it got rid of useless dead skin cells. If you are interested in this product you could go to http://iceelements.com/ and order a sample for shipping only (I know that they ship to the US, not sure about anyplace else). They ship really fast, same day.

Good luck and enjoy the wedding!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
I have been wondering about an oily skin moisturizer (sounds like an oxy moron).

I missed this part of your post!

I would suggest that you speak with the Esthetician, Brenda, at Ice Elements to see what she would suggest for you. She is soooo good! If there is not a product there that would work for you she would suggest one outside of the IE skin care line, seriously. Another opinion would not hurt!

Take care.
prs
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 9:27 am      Reply with quote
I second Mabsy's rec for Jurlique silk powder! Somehow, even though it's not tinted, it makes my complexion more even-toned. The only drawback it that it comes in a clunky glass jar (the Jurlique folkd say that they are considering making it more portable) that I tend to drop.

Also, Clean & Clear make terrific, inexpensive blotting papers.

Don't know if you've read the May issue of Elle but there's a little piece about Cover Girl's new water based foundation (apparently, the only such high water content makeup around, it says). Perhaps give that a try?
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 4:57 am      Reply with quote
You are never to old to learn Rolling Eyes
As I went through everyone's suggestions (& did some shopping Exclamation ), I realized that I WAS doing everything wrong - & I know better! I was using too many products at one time & not letting any of them sink in. My poor face. I began to alternate nights &/or days with my Vitamin C & DMAE - that in itself has helped. After reading Winnie's thread about Murad products, I also realized that I was over exfoliating & cleaning my face too many times a day as well - that was sending the old oil glands into overdrive too. My skin is better than it has ever been & I think that I'm safe to switch around as above & try new lines, etc - just not all at once!!! Wink
Now to wait for my MAC, Jurlique & Ice Elements - oh & my Cellcosmet mega order. Oh dear.....
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 5:35 am      Reply with quote
one tip i learned on here to control oil breakthrough was to swipe a tiny bit of Milk of Magnesia over your oily spots and then when dried, apply your MMU or face powder or whatever.

I tried it under my MMU the other day and it really seemed to prolong the freshness of my MMU and the shine was much less by the afternoon...

just a thought Laughing

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |