Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

oil cleansing method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lorrapaw
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Why is oil cleansing good for enlarged pores? i have found my skin is starting to go like that, i dont have greasy skin its combo. I have tried DHCC but i wasnt impressed. My skin is also losing tone and looking a bit saggy. I use vit c which so far has made not much difference. If oil cleansing is good what brands should i try?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I think most people make their own OCM. Very Happy Unfortunately I can't find the thread with the link to the Long Hair Forums that tells how/why to do it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I dont want to make my own i just want some reccomendations.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Lorrapaw,

I don't think that there IS a commercial brand that can be used like OCM.

There are lots of "cleansing oils" out there ... but the big difference is that they contain emulsifiers in them ... so that they will rinse properly.

I, personally, seem to have difficulty with just about any product that contains emulsifiers.

OCM is simply a combination of castor oil and olive oil ... at least that's where you start. Some people don't use anything but olive oil ... some people use castor oil mixed with other oils, like grapeseed oil.

Beyond that ... it's the actual method of cleansing ... the massaging ... the permitting of heat to help to dislodge gunk from pores.

I suppose you could try with any cleansing oil ... but I only make my own [I include salicylic acid in mine] ... so I don't have any recommendations for you.

However there are lots of threads on here that tell you the method used with OCM.

Good luck

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
[I include salicylic acid in mine]

Can you please explain how you include salicylic acid in your OCM.. I have never heard of this and would like to try it..

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
hpjrt wrote:

Can you please explain how you include salicylic acid in your OCM.. I have never heard of this and would like to try it..

I like to know that too.
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Harmonster wrote:
I think most people make their own OCM. Very Happy Unfortunately I can't find the thread with the link to the Long Hair Forums that tells how/why to do it.

Is this the link you were looking for? HTH Very Happy

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5612&page=1&pp=15
svunt1
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
La Vitton Cleansing oil is good. I like that it rinses off clean with water. Its good in the morning when you dont have time for the "real" OCM Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 12:27 am      Reply with quote
Lorrapaw, I use the OCM from EVE LOM (she calls it cleanser) and absolutely love it. Sofar this is the only product of my long life I repurchase again and again (it's quite expensive unfortunately). It's quite a procedure whit massaging and taking off the oil with a musline cloth but in the meantime I like it very much, it makes me feel fresh and clean and relaxed. I specially noticed the benefit of OCM when I stopped for few weeks and I got back all those black heads and spots on my face. Still I have large pores but with OCM they are clean. I can absolutely recoomend it.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
I just tried OCM for the first time last week, and I LOVE it. My skin was breaking out so bad, it actually hurt. Within 4 days of using OCM day & night my skin calmed down, the blemishes dried up, and the blackheads that were always on my nose were pratically gone. I bought the ingredients at Whole Foods, and only paid $9 for the castor oil and grapeseed oil. I also added a few drops of Tea Tree essential oil ($6 a bottle)to help with m skin's inflamation. I mixed it 1 tablespoon grapeseed to 3 tablespoons castor (I had very greasy skin), put it in a jar and shook. It took less than a minute to make, and I barely used any thing out of the bottles. I think if you want to try it out, mixing your own is definitely the cheapest and easiest way to go.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 5:58 am      Reply with quote
tidieu wrote:
PhoebesMeow wrote:
hpjrt wrote:

I like to know that too.

I add powdered white willow bark (salicylic acid) to my OCM too. You really gotta give it a good shake to get it incorporated everytime cause it sinks to the bottom.

I suppose you could grind an asprin or 2 and it would be the same thing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 6:29 am      Reply with quote
I was thinking about adding aspirin too but aspirin will not dissolve in oil. So it probably works like a scrub.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
I went to my friendly neighbourhood pharmacist and purchased pure salicylic acid.

He cautioned me on how caustic it was ... but he was fascinated that I wanted it for making my own stuff.

Salicylic acid is soluable in either oil or alcohol ... but not water ... so it's a bit different from aspirin.

At any rate ... I used the following ratio.

1/4 tsp of salicylic acid to 2 tablespoons oil.

That gives you about 5% ... but since it's oil which acts as a buffer ... it feels like about 3%.

If you don't want to start out with that much, use

1/4 tsp of salicylic acid to 4 tablespoons oil for 2.5%.

Depending upon how much you mix up at any given time ... you just extrapolate.

For instance, if you make up 8 ounces of cleansing oil ... that's 16 tablespoons.

So, for a 5% solution you'd use 1 tsp of salicylic acid in 8 ounces of oil.

And ... for a 2.5% solution, you'd use 1/2 tsp of salicylic acid in 8 ounces of oil.

HTH

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary! You seem to be able to get everything from your local area. It's a good area.
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 5:11 am      Reply with quote
Actually tidieu,

it's an incredibly small area! Laughing

I live in rural south-western Ontario ... and in the 2% of the province that has no access to high speed ... Confused

However, I suppose that it makes our pharmacists more approachable than in a large center.

So far, I've had no problem getting what I want in terms of DIY stuff ... including pH strips ... because pH can be incredibly important, particularly with AHA's. Over a pH of about 4, AHA's are moisturizing ... below that, they are exfoliating.

One tip, however ... if you are going to ask your pharmacist for something, know what it is you're asking for ... as if you expect it to be there and expect to be able to purchase it. That seems to give them the impression that you know what you're doing! Laughing

Good luck

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary! I think I have to look for a small pharmacy to go to. Big ones will probably not bother to order things for me.

Your area might be small but it seems to have everything you need. I had to search many places for the new Physician Formula Loose Powder. It took me a couple of weeks to search for it and only found it at one place so far. Yet, when I found it, it did not have the color that I wanted.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |