Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Help me with mineral make-up - I know nothing
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
starkers
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried doing a search and couldn't find a post to tell me much about the product itself or application. So I thought I'd ask. If I've done my search wrong, please direct me.

I gather that it's made of minerals obviously, but that's about as much as I know.

1. How do you apply it?
2. Which is a good brand to try that's not expensive?
3. How do you get the right colour? The sites I saw online had some weird colours.
4. Do you need a primer? (I've been looking at trying to get one of these for my current make-up)
5. Do you need a special brush?
6. I'm in Australia, is there a store that you can go and look at mineral make-up and feel what it's like on the skin?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I'd never heard of mineral make-up til I came here and the whole thing just seems so confusing to me.

I like the idea that it seems to give good coverage. Can anyone recommend a good Chemist (drug store) foundation in the meantime?

Kylie
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
I used Bare Escentuals (BE) for many years. To apply that it's swirl (the brush in the MM), tap (on the edge of the jar), buff. The brush (that name escapes me right now) was a little rough for my liking, but I stayed with it because I didn't know I had other MM choices.

That was til EDS. Laughing Open wallet....here we go...

Then I found Pure Luxe. VERY nice company. Excellent prices, which is what made me dump the BE after all this time. Found it was nicer to my skin and didn't have to use that brush. To apply that one (oh, they have a forum too, go to pureluxe.com click on forum, VERY nice & helpful) you "floof" it on. LOL, when I 1st started using it I would say to myself, floof not buff, floof not buff. It's applies so nicely, and she has some great stuff! You have to try the erasers! Will never be without them. She offers sample pots, that go a long way, for like a buck or so.

Out of curiousity I tried Glowing Minerals. Of the 3 - I prefer this one in the foundation & eyeshadows as I am not a 'glittery type' (No cracks Ruth!). I also really like the blushes. Samples are available there too very reasonably priced.

And in the interim - I just posted on another thread about, is Sally Hansen spray foundation. I don't use the sponge application. I spray a small bit into the palm of my hand, add a drop of squalene oil. Mix it with my finger, dab it on, smooth it out. DONE. It gives a very 'finished' look, without looking like you even have foundation on. It's like 7 or 8 bucks here in the Chicago area. And it lasts a long time. And since it's in a non-aerosol spray can it doesn't dry out or thicken up.

There are a few Aussies here who could direct you to where you can locate someplace local to try MM I'm sure.

And as far as colors...that's where the sample pots are invaluable. I always choose a few, some lighter than some darker than in addition to what I think is right. Then I usually mix the lighter & darker that aren't working alone, mix them together...TA DA! More foundation in a color that always has worked for me.

Just my 25 cents (2 won't getcha anything these days Laughing )

Sat May 27, 2006 12:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kylie,

Here's some answers to your questions (hopefully).

1. Swirl MMU into the brush, tap brush on side of container to get rid of excess, buff into the skin. Possibly also spritz face to set makeup - I don't think you have to do this but I find it makes my skin look better.

2. I'm not too sure on this one. I like Jane Iredale and True Cosmetics (I do have a preference for pressed MMU since I find it easier & less messy to apply) but Aromaleigh and BareMinerals are also good.

3. It was trial and error for me. However, you could go to a salon and try to match yourself to a colour. Even if it's not the brand you want, you may then be able to find someone on here that has tried both brands and is your colour match, and can tell you what the equivalent shade is. Also, many sites do sell samples of MMU shades.

4. No. Unless you want to. I sometimes (on hot days) use Jurlique silk dust before I apply MMU to make it stay matte for longer.

5. IMO, yes. The Bare Escentuals brushes are too scratchy, my absolute favourite is the Jane Iredale Handi brush. It has a flat base so it's perfect for application of pressed MMUs.

6. You won't find many MMU brands in Australia but there are some. For example, you can get Jane Iredale, Bare Escentuals and YoungBlood. You can buy Youngblood samples on the web, but can find salons that stock JI and BE (though they are rare).

HTH
laine
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 5:47 am      Reply with quote
When using minerals remember a little goes a long way. Make sure the minerals are well blended into the brush..swirl in the lid & tap the brush to remove any excess. Buff/sweep the brush on your face. I like to wait a couple of seconds after applying the first application b/c IMO it seems to "set" and the coverage intensifies. Then I decide if I need more coverage in certain areas.
I like to use a Kabuki brush..must have natural hair. I don't like BE brushes to hard for my skin. I can't recall the name brand I currently use.
To me, a primer is a must for mmu. Give a smoother finish & helps with my pores
I don't use any MMU that has Bismuth. I will try Luxe on my next order. I'm currently using on called "My Mineral"..ordered off of ebay.
You may need to shades for the perfect color. Definitely order samples Smile
Also, get the setting/finish powder. BE calls there Mineral Veil.
Good luck with your search
HTH
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I know this reply may scare the heck out of you once you get there....however, if you visit the Delphi Forums - Mineral Makeup Mania forum, you will find incredible help there - from the moderators Toni and Jo to the knowledgable ladies who frequent the forum with their helpful advice and reviews of the "smaller" lines - although the bigger ones like Mabsy mentions are talked about as well.

The smaller lines were borne out of the need for more natural minerals - when you look at BE, JI, etc., there is a tad bit more "stuff" in there other than TO, ZO, Serecite, kaolin clay, mica....the usual ingredients of the more natural lines.

If you go back and check the threads here, you'll see that I have somewhat of a "problem" with minerals in that I can't control myself when a new one comes out! Embarassed

On my radar right now is Amazing and True...I just have to wait until the wallet can afford it.

I do love Aromaleigh, however, it's my understanding that they are no longer shipping outside of the U.S. which is a bummer b/c they have a wonderful line. Bare Faced Minerals is another great line, Mineral Boutique, Pure Luxe....Geografx has beautiful eyeshadows and skincare as well.....sigh...

If not for the reaction of my skin to the bismuth oxychloride in Jane Iredale, I probably would have never started experimenting. JI is just a great MMU. However, after much trial and error, I have been able to find some wonderful smaller lines that feature both beautiful products and incredible customer service.

Good luck in your search! It's lots of fun sampling too!

Maria Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Love it, love it, love it. Sorry to gush but this mu is so much fun esp for an old gal like myself. Yes go to delphi forums. com and look up mineral makeup mania it has been so helpful to me from application to color choices. There are so many smaller co. out there therefore so many choices. Some have matte foundations and matte e/s choices. To name a few- cory cosmetics, mineral basics, valerie beauty. Also the brushes are key so don't skimp. All these co let you order samples b/c mineral makeup is not returnable. HTH and good luck.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Also, pressed seems better for oilier skin and loose powder for drier.

If you find that applying, swirling and buffing with a brush isn't working well for you - ie showing up pores and lines, then try gently buffing with a flocked sponge afterwards to smooth out the effect.

Another company that seems very popular on here at the moment (just ordered loads of samples myself!) is BareFaced Minerals.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 10:33 am      Reply with quote
I am trying to decide between Amazing and True Cosmetics. Which one do you think would be more suitable for oily skin with large pores? Thanks.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |