Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Nervous about the creams my derm gave me for dermatitis
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi all!

So, after months and months of complaining about my flaky skin on this forum, I went to an esthetician who then referred me on to a physician's assistant she recommends her clients to. She said it looked like I have a case of dermatitis and didn't want to do treatments (I was hoping for a facial!) until it was addressed.

Fast forward to this morning. I went and saw this PA who looked at my skin for about thirty seconds and said it looked like seborrheic dermatitis to her, too. She recommended I wash my face with a dandruff shampoo (?!) and then use these creams she gave me. I told her I wasn't comfortable using dandruff shampoo on my face and would rather skip that part. She was fine with that.

She sent me home with samples of Naftin (an anti-fungal) and Elidel (an anti-inflammatory). I am supposed to use the Naftin daily for two weeks and the Elidel indefinitely. She also gave me a moisturizer called CeraVe to use, though I think I'll stick with my Osea creams for this, especially since the ingredients look nightmarish.

I'm thinking I'll try the Naftin and maybe the Elidel, but I wonder if anyone has experience with these. This is the first time in many, many years that I have been to a conventional doctor for my skin and used a topical prescription cream. Has anyone had any success with treatments like this? Should I expect my skin to be more inflamed initially?

Thank you!
Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, I'm going to reply to myself. Very Happy

I was in a hurry when I posted earlier and didn't do much of a search on these creams here. Honestly, I didn't expect to find anything. What I did find was that a few people have mentioned Elidel here and didn't seem to be in love with it. So, hmmm. I think I might just increase my cod liver oil and probiotics dosage to help with the inflammation.

I'm still going to try the Naftin since I don't know how else to get an anti-fungal affect without irritating the crap out of my skin with something like tea tree oil (if that would even work). I take it not a lot of people here have had to do a topical anti-fungal on their face for something like dermatitis.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Shawna -- I haven't tried that specific antifungal, but I have used one in the past and did not find that it irritated my skin. Ihave met some people that loved elidel, but I haven't had much luck with steroids and things in treating mine.

Mine seems to have gone away, so hopefully your will too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Shawna,
My PCP recently prescribed an antifungal for my dermatitis, as well, to tide me over until I could get a derm appt. My face was REALLY red and inflamed. The derm, however, said the antifungal was too harsh, and prescribed Desonex instead. That helped, but when I learned about the rebound effect with steroids, I quickly weaned myself off. At least Elidel is not a steroid, but there are some scary articles out there connecting it to cancer.

According to your signature, you love Osea products...may I ask why? Could it be possible that you are having an ingredient reaction? The reason I suggest this...reluctantly, I started using Cetaphil on dr's orders. It really worked better than any "clean" product I had. As soon as my skin got back to normal, I gave my Cetaphil away. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have SD and my skin is extremely reactive. I need to use the blandest products possible. I just have a derm visit on Monday and was told to use elidel for my contact dermatitis from HA serum. My face is all better in 3 days Very Happy

I already have elidel for my SD but I only use it occasionally. It worked great for my contact dermatitis. I was told to use it twice a day until the dry patches goes away. Btw, elidel is linked to cancer only when used in huge amount for infants.

I love cerave cleanser. I get dermatitis from sulfates in cleansers (like cetaphil and aquanil). A lot of people love cerave lotion/creamthe lotion on MUA. I like La Roche Posay toleriane cream and just started using Eucerin cream since my skin is extremely dry. Loving the Eucerin cream so far (keeping fingers crossed)

My derm never prescribed any antifungal for me. I do have rx shampoo for the SD on my scalp.

I also get dermatitis from fragrance, vit c serum, physical exfoliants. You just have to keep track of the products that gives you problem.

Good luck!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
Another great prescription product that is not a steroid is Mimyx. I use it alone any time for dryness -- especially if I've over done it with a product. When my eczema is really bad the only thing that helps - and trust me I've tried it all -- is Mimyx mixed with a little steroid. hth
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, mtview! Wow, you really DO have sensitive skin! Shock

mtview wrote:
Btw, elidel is linked to cancer only when used in huge amount for infants.

That's good to know! My sister also had good results with elidel. Sorry, Shawna, false alarm! Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I love Osea because so far I experience the least amount of flaking with them. It's weird. I just get really mild flushness/redness and dryness on the tops of my cheeks. That's probably the 'excema' part of my skin woes.

The dermatitis part just seems to be this persistent dry, flaky skin. Every night when I wash my face, I pat it dry, and then proceed to gently rub all of the dead/dry skin off. It just balls right up, as if I was using IE2MM, but without any product! It's actually really annoying.

The esthetician said it's because with dermatitis, the skin keeps pushing up, but doesn't properly exfoliate.

Nadjazz, is cetaphil really that great? So many people seem to rave about it. I just don't understand what it's got over all of the other cleansers out there.

Mtview, do you get symptoms other than dry patches? It seems like I constantly have flaking skin and then sometimes 'flare-up' with dry/red patches. Is this similar to yours?

Waffle, did your dermatitis go away *because* of the anti-fungal?

I wonder how exactly they differentiate between excema and dermatitis. Both seem to have redness, dry patches, and flaking. Maybe excema has less flaking?

The derm told me to mix the Elidel with the Naftin, but I wonder if I should do them separately just in case one of them irritates my skin. I am full of wonder. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
to be honest I don't know what cleared up my
SD -- honestly it seemed to coincide with a month round of antibiotics -- which doesn't really make sense -- but who knows.
where is your flaky skin? is it all over? SD is usually just on the oilier regions of the face and scalp, like around the nose and eyebrows. mine was really bad around the nose. my mother was suspicious that I had a secret cocaine habit. Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Ahahah... of course a secret cocaine habit would be much more debilitating, though probably more fun than SD. Cool

I get the flakies all over my face, though it is most obvious around the nose, between the eyebrows, hairline, etc. When I rub my face after washing, flakes come up from every bit of my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Shawna,
I really don't care for Cetaphil, because it has SLS. I suppose the propylene glycol was soothing the skin, which is what I needed at the time. But, you'll never get a "rave" from me for Cetaphil.

From what mtview says above, the Cerave cleanser seems like a better choice.

Oh, now that waffle has mentioned it, I forgot...at followup visit to 2nd derm because first guy was on vacation, he put me on doxycycline for two months, along with Klaron lotion. I can't wait to finish the course of treatment (just two more weeks), but that also seemed to help. I stopped using the Klaron because it was too drying.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
Hi, mtview! Wow, you really DO have sensitive skin! Shock

And it totally sucks! Confused I love trying new products and constantly giving myself contact dermatitis. When will I ever learn?!

nadjazz wrote:
mtview wrote:
Btw, elidel is linked to cancer only when used in huge amount for infants.

That's good to know! My sister also had good results with elidel. Sorry, Shawna, false alarm! Rolling Eyes

There is a warning on elidel that not to use on children under 2 years old. I was a little worried myself that is why I normally use cortaid for a week vs elidel. Didn't realize elidel works much faster.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Also, where in my routine do I put the prescription creams? Before or after my Osea moisturizer?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Shawna wrote:
Mtview, do you get symptoms other than dry patches? It seems like I constantly have flaking skin and then sometimes 'flare-up' with dry/red patches. Is this similar to yours?

The derm told me to mix the Elidel with the Naftin, but I wonder if I should do them separately just in case one of them irritates my skin. I am full of wonder. Laughing

Hi Shawna,

My SD started off as flakes around the nose constantly. Then I started to get the dandruff in eyebrows, between eyebrows, around the hairline and the lovely bumps on scalp.

The flakes around nose disappeared on its own. The area between my eyebrow is usually red and flaky. I can peel off some skin from that area everyday. My eyebrows are ok. I just have to do a mirror check before leaving the house. Don't want to scare people with big flakes of dandruff.

When I get contact dermatitis, my skin feels like sandpaper. You can also see scaly patches all over the face. The patches are usually either red or brown in color. It takes anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks for the patches to peel and fall off. Skin feels incredibly tight no matter how many layers of moisturizer you put on.

Before this week, I can rub the dead skin off in little balls as well. I would think I got all the flakes off but within a few minutes you can see all the flakes again. Sound familiar?

Aquaphor used to help me but now I am likely eucerin. Hope I don't break out from it! I want to slowly incorporate retinoid back into my routine but it always makes my skin extra dry. Don't know if it is worth it...dilemma...

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:

Skin feels incredibly tight no matter how many layers of moisturizer you put on.

Before this week, I can rub the dead skin off in little balls as well. I would think I got all the flakes off but within a few minutes you can see all the flakes again. Sound familiar?

Oh my god!! Shock

I have never heard anyone else describe this about their skin! This is far too familiar, and it's why ultimately manual exfoliation doesn't really work for me. I've always thought I was alone on this and people would just look at me funny when I tried to explain it. It's kind of pathetic, but I'm a little comforted to know that someone else understands what this is like!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Okay, so I used the anti-fungal cream on my face last night *after* my Osea moisturizer. Hopefully this was correct.

So far today I think I notice slightly more flaking than usual, but that's it. I'm curious to see how this goes. I hope it works!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Shawna,
I always put my prescription topicals on clean skin, then followed it with my moisturizer ( in my case, it was either emu oil or petroleum jelly Shock ).

I would think that moisturizer first would inhibit efficacy of the prescription items.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
I refuse to use steriods to treat my excema, the side effects freak me out wayyyyy too much.

I recently purchased AVENE Cicalfate Antibacterial Repair Cream. Im not using it on my face but the reviews on MUA (although limited) seem positive for facial use.

http://www.leguidesante.com/avene-cicalfate-antibacterial-repair-cream-t40ml/products_2894.html

MUA reviews: http://www.leguidesante.com/avene-cicalfate-antibacterial-repair-cream-t40ml/products_2894.html

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
Shawna wrote:
Oh my god!! Shock

I have never heard anyone else describe this about their skin! This is far too familiar, and it's why ultimately manual exfoliation doesn't really work for me. I've always thought I was alone on this and people would just look at me funny when I tried to explain it. It's kind of pathetic, but I'm a little comforted to know that someone else understands what this is like!

Very Happy I haven't had the dead skin balling up this week. I am afraid once I started retinoid again it will be flake city.

I also apply any medication/treatment product before the moisturizer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
vonstella wrote:
I refuse to use steriods to treat my excema, the side effects freak me out wayyyyy too much.

If the eczema is bad enough, only steriod will help. My sister's eczema got really bad when she was pregnant. The dr put her on strong steriod cream and even oral medication.

Elidel does not contain steroid so I am ok about using that on my face when I have to...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
vonstella wrote:

If the eczema is bad enough, only steriod will help. My sister's eczema got really bad when she was pregnant. The dr put her on strong steriod cream and even oral medication.

Elidel does not contain steroid so I am ok about using that on my face when I have to...

I guess thats true in some cases. I have really thin skin to begin with so Im wary of using something that will thin it further.

27~Texas~Oily~ fair~ breakout prone~ easily congested~Cysts caused by emotional stress~ Using Ayurvedic skin care and philosophy~ Dry brushing body and face~ On strict less is more routine~ We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~ Oscar Wilde
Shawna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, ladies. I'll put the treatment creams on before my moisturizer.

Since the anti-fungal is kind of a thick cream, is there a chance I won't even want to use a moisturizer afterwards? Or would skipping my usual nighttime moisturizer be a bad idea?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:29 am      Reply with quote
If the prescription product is emollient, I wouldn't bother with the moisturizer. Or, you could apply moisturizer to areas not covered by the rx product.

I only applied my oils over the Klaron because it was so drying to my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Nadine. I'm going to try that out and see how it goes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Warning, long!

Shawna,
I'm just getting over a bad case of contact dermatitis that started last Oct so I really feel for your situation. It started with itchy red bumps along the jawline and at its worst, I had a swollen rash all around my mouth and chin with a lesser rash along the outside of my eyes.

The doctor prescribed Noritate w/ 0.5% cortisone. The rash improved within a week but came back as soon as I stopped the meds. To make a long story short, I cut out all cleansers, creams and treatment products to just Aquaphor and botanical oils for moisturising and washed with LRP Toleriance cleanser in the pm. Through trial and error I discovered the main culprits were the squalene in my Toleriane fluid and my mmmu. The LRP cleanser is also suspect so that probably prolonged the agony.

When my skin was really rashy I did use Protopic (instead of the hc) which is in the same class as Elidel. They're both non-steroidal and are meant for long-term use, if the patient is willing Confused , and it did help. I think when our skin's been so traumatized, we need to give it time to heal and if cortisone/Elidel/Protopic will help then so be it.

After 6 months, I'm pretty much back to normal. I've still got some dryness and minor flaking on my cheeks and around my mouth but I'm starting to use my Clarisonic again daily and that's helping. Buffered retin-a 2x/wk is back in my routine and now that summer's coming, I'm working on adding in a chemical sunscreen since I'm wary of mineral makeup. I'm still using Noritate daily but hoping to eliminate it soon.

HTH. I just wanted to let you know that things can get better and give the meds time to work. Smile Good luck!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |