Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Astara antioxidant light cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
WSurprisedW this smells so heavenly-- reminds me of the Krsna temple with sandlewood and nag-champa smells... Hmmm!

Astara is a very conscious company as well. As a moisturizer this was a little too light for me. I found myself lathering more. But I didn't mind because it smells so darn good :P I survived other winters and have never had dry skin before, but I honestly think my skin may be changing and getting drier Surprised. I'll have to wait till spring & summer if my combo-oily skin comes back. This moisturizre may be better for summertime. Until then, I want to try the Astara antioxidant rich cream which is for drier skins. I think my winter dehydrated skin may need this right now. I hope it smells as good as the light version!

It says that it contains medium UV protection due to the antioxidants. Alohagirl, can you explain this? I was under the assumption that protection either comes in chemical sunscreens or titanium diozide/zinc oxide sunblocks...
Here are the ingredients:
Ingredients:

2.2 oz : Aloe Vera Gel, Extracts (Chamomile, Calendula, Indian Gooseberry, Ginseng, Echinacea), Aloe Vera Oil, Plant-Derived Sodium Hyaluronate, Borage Oil, Vitamin E Linoleate, Vitamin E Acetate, Shea Nut Butter, 1-3 Beta Glucan (Oat/Barley Derived Mucopolysaccharides), Evening Primrose Oil, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Avocado Oil, Green Tea Extract, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), DL-Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Silymarin (Milk Thistle Extract), Plant Phospholipids, Carrot Oil (Carotenes), Ascorbyl Methylsilanol Pectinate (Soluble Vitamin C), Grape Seed Extract, Essential Oils (Ylang-Ylang, Sandalwood, Geranium, Mandarin), Sodium PCA, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Fat Soluble Vitamin C), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Sodium PCA.

I don't see the typical sunscreen/sunblock ingredients listed... Maybe this isn't the comprehensive list because I don't see your typical binders, and preservatives.
babyfish
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Astara. I want to try some Astara. The only Astara I have ever used is the Blue Flame Mask and I really love it.

Thoughtcrime, what is nag-champa? I know sandlewood and I still remember its fragrance, very warm and soothing, is it right, but nag-champa. Sorry for my limited experience with fragrances:(

thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
babyfish, if you haven't smelled the original Nag Champa incense in the blue box, you MUST!!! I have been obsessed with this scent for years. I can't even describe how amazingly heavenly it smells. It seriously smells spiritual, exotic, and is calming. I burn it all the time. I just LOVE it!!!But you have to make sure it is the original. because I've bought other "nag champa" incense that were not in the original blue box, and it smells NOTHING like the original. Wish I could find a perfume that smells like it! Speaking of, have you found your spring perfume? I only own 1 perfume, my second one will be Chanel's Chance. BTW, I would love to hear a review of the Astara Blue flame mask. I hear it's awesome. How striking it must look on! I know Astara's masks have been featured in many beauty and spa magazines. Can you post a review, pretty please when you're feeling better :P
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by thoughtcrime
It says that it contains medium UV protection due to the antioxidants. Alohagirl, can you explain this? I was under the assumption that protection either comes in chemical sunscreens or titanium dioxide/zinc oxide sunblocks...

Thoughtcrime,

Zinc and Titanium (in high enough concentrations) offer the most complete sunblock protection available.

Some plant oils also provide protection but to a lesser degree. Sesame oil blocks about 30 percent of UV rays. Olive oil, peanut oil and cottonseed oil block out about 20 percent. And someone (I think Babs) pointed out in another thread that ancient Hawaiians used coconut oil for sun protection.

As for the antioxidant question: Vitamins A, C and E counteract the free radicals that are caused by sun damage. Aloe vera, green tea, avocado oil, etc. also have antioxidant properties, so this sounds like a great product. I wouldn't depend on it for a day at the beach though. They labeled it "medium UV protection" for a reason. HTH

--Alohagirl:P
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Alohagirl the sun goddess Wink
thanks again for the clarification.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
My pleasure. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |