Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is moisturizer necessary?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
IcyFire
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I'm 20 years old with combo/oily skin. I rarely use moisturizer. I was just curious if it was important, because I use a sunscreen that has aloe vera so I always thought that was sufficient. Plus, most moisturizes leave me looking like a grease ball. So do I need it?
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Not really if your shin is normal not dry or oily, just drink lot's of water and take some fish oil.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
personally i think it's pretty important for all skintypes. The key is to find what moisturizer is right for your skin. Just because you get oil on your skin does not necessarily mean it's getting the kind of moisture it needs.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! When I started taking care of my skin, I found moisturizer to be unnecessary! Besides I live in a very humid country. But after 6 months, and my skin has looked better than ever; I find that there really is a need for it. Especially if you do AHAs and BHAs. I feel that we need to protect the barrier of our skin by giving it moisture, even non oily ones like HA serums Smile It's like my skin them drinks up any moisturizer now w/o turning oily Smile

I still don't moisturize everyday, only when I feel the need to, maybe 4x a week Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's necessary to put on a moisturizer everyday. Even since I started to take care of my skin (cleanser, toner, moisturizer and sunscreen), I can't skip any steps... my skin will feel either dry, or oily without them.
In fact, I think putting on a moisturizer helps reducing the amount of oil that the face will produce because it creates a barrier for your skin so your skin does not need to produce the oil in order to keep your skin hydrate. Correct me if I'm wrong Very Happy , I got this idea from the sale lady at Kiehl's.
Probably the moisturizer that you are using is not suitable for your skin?
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
I've read in some places that it's not necessary for everyone, but for myself, I've always used one because it feels better on my skin, making it feel really soft. I live in a pretty dry area as well, so it's probably more necessary here. I would just do what feels right for you and works. Unless your skin is really dehydrated, maybe it's not necessary.

PS ... I think one of the places I might have read about the "not everyone needs moisturizer" MIGHT have been on Paula's Choice. I may be wrong though.
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
i think it is still necessary to use a moisturizer, you just have to get something that is good for your skin type. Its good for prevention
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
I don't use a moisturiser. In the mornings I cleanse, apply sunscreen, then makeup.
In the evenings I cleanse, use an exfoliant, then apply Retin-A and maybe some Emu oil depending on the time of year if I am dry or not. I think that if you are using a daily sunscreen you do not need a moisturiser as well. It might be too heavy for your skin.

I should add that it also depends on where you live. If you live in a humid climate then you probably don't need it at all. Whereas here in the wintertime when it's well below zero and dry as a bone you need moisturiser. That's when I add the Emu oil.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I always apply a moisturizer with SPF in the morning. I skip the moisturizer in the evenings now because I find my Juice Blemish Serum to be quite hydrating.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily skin and the only good thing about it is that you don't need moisturizer. Boy, do I understand that "grease ball" feeling. Mad

I'm loooong past menopause and still don't need it unless I overdo Retin-A and then only to help with the peelies.

Only need it on my hands occasionally in the winter.

I applaud you for using s/s....very wise.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I have combo, sometimes overly oily skin. I have tried many methods of moisturising and not-moisturising, but in the end I still find it is better to have something on the skin.

I've moved on from cream/serum based moisturisers to oils (atm PSF balancing oil). The oil helps to balance and neutralise sebum production, and doesn't leave my skin feeling heavy.

When I was in Beijing (coming from a very humid environment) my skin basically became like a crepe!! So oily-skinned people can still suffer from dry skin.

If you start to notice dehydration and fine lines (yes even if you're in your 20s) then it's best to boost your hydration levels, even with a toner immediately before applying your sunscreen.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I always heard that even if you have oily skin, it's a good idea to use moisturizer as it helps your skin produce the right amount of sebum, thus preventing acne. Me, I've always had to use one even when I was a teenager, because my skin is just dry dry dry if I don't care for it.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:11 am      Reply with quote
It is easy to think that you don't need a moisturiser when you are 20 or even 30 but if you do use one, your skin will thank you for it when you are 50.
Just try to find a moisturiser suitable for oily skin or, even better, find one that incorporates a good sunscreen as you still need the sunscreen regardless.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:13 am      Reply with quote
IMO, it depends on various aspects such as age, weather, and skin type. When I was a teenages, I have normal skin and was going fine without a moisturizer, but NOW, I can't live without it. If I'm back to Hong Kong, I can skip it sometimes but definitely not in Canada.
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I live in Texas (hot and humid) and have oily skin. My moisturizer is oil free and for shine control, and I swear it seems like it makes things worse. My skin feels okay right after I put it on, but then it's like my own oil just pushes the moisturizer out and keeps going, and I end up double oily. I always heard that your skin doesn't 'sense' moisturizer anyway, that it produces oil at a regular rate, regardless of what you do to your skin. Anyway that has been my experience. I only use it when my skin feels dry or tight (usually in the winter). In the summer, I feel suffocated enough with my own natural oil! Confused
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily skin and hate moisturisers, I much prefer using a toner followed by a few drops of Jojoba Oil or Dr Hauschka Normalising Day Oil. At night I only need to use toner.
My skin looks awful when I use moisturisers, my skin feels heavy and I will get a huge oily outbreak during the day too.
If your current skincare routing works for you then stick with it, there are no right or wrong rules when it comes to what skincare you should use and your skin will reflect what is working for you.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
How did u find oil free moisturizer? They maybe suit for ur skin type.. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |