Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Bugs Love Me
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have a problem. Bugs love me.

Last weekend my boyfriend and I went on a nine mile hike in the "wilderness", Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in the UP of MI. As we hiked closer to the lake, we noticed black flies (the locals called them gnats, but, man, these were pretty darn big flies) starting to swarm around us, particularly our legs. But they really were drawn to me more than him. We got down to the beach, and I was SWARMED. They just went for me and not just my legs. They bit through my clothes, even my thick hiking socks. it was like something out of Stephen King. I ran in terror up a sandy hill (not an easy thing to do), and it took me awhile to lose them-- they followed me! The Deep Woods Off we were using did absolutely nothing to repel them, and in face seemed to encourage them.

My boyfriend followed-- he was not swarmed, they pretty much stayed around his feet and legs. They did not dive bomb his melon like they did mine.

After we shook the flies, the mosquitoes showed up. I ended up with several bites, my boyfriend got none. I applied way more bug spray than him, yet I was bit more. This happened last year too, but on alarger scale. I had more like 20 bites and he had none. Needless to say, this ticked me off. Mad

We have different theories as to why bugs like me. Pheramones, the smell of my sweat,blood type, any skincare products I use that may attract them. But the thing is, this time, I consciously put aside any smelly lotions or soap so I'd be scent free for the hike. Didn't help. So I'm wondering, what the heck is it about me they like? Does anyone else experience this?

I like to think its because I'm so sweet. Laughing My boyfriend kids that it's good to take me everywhere because the bugs are so distracted by me they don't bite him. Confused
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
I think that blood type might have something to do with this as well. I read somewhere that women are more suspectable than men also.
This happens to me as well. Down in southern Sweden where it is more humid they have LOTS of mosquitos and whenever we go there I get nearly eaten alive while he gets maybe 2 or 3 bites. I've never understood this.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm with you. I was told it's your blood PH value.

My worse experience was, more than 10 years ago before we went on the South Caribbean cruise we visited one of our customers in Puerto Rico. We stayed in his retail store / warehouse for about 1 hour and my right fore leg had about 50+ bug bites. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I did not know why but only few on my left leg. Question Question Question He said he just had a pests control guy came over the day before and they were beach fleas. I was in hell. It itched so badly and I could not control myself not to scratch while sleeping. Scratching, scratching,.... nothing but scratching. I had about 5 big ones looked like small volcanoes, red, swollen, and lava came out..... Finally I ended up at 1st aid on the ship. Can you imagine 50%+ of my pictures could see those ugly bites. Sad Sad Sad

Let me know if you found a way to keep those creatures away from you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
That sounds awful, MACrises! It definitely is nothing compared to my few mosquito bites that are still itching-- I have one on the inside of my arm by my elbow that is so blotchy and big and red!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
My sister brought all sorts of insect repellents for her trip to China but she still got attacked by mosquitoes. She came back with marks all over her legs. I told her that they probably considered her a foreign delicacy.
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
ugh, I'm the same way with mosquitoes. I was told that blood sugar has something to do with it (don't know if there is any truth to that though).

What's worse, is I am allergic to certain types of mosquito bites, so I may react really badly (swelling galore!) if I get bit.

I feel your pain!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:35 am      Reply with quote
I don't know if it would work for the type of bugs you encountered, but you can repel mosquitoes, bees and wasps by rubbing down your clothing and exposed skin with a used, fabric softener dryer sheet (i.e.: "Bounce" or "Downey" dryer sheet). Try it next time you are out because it really works! Click here to read member "testimonials:" http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6970&highlight=dryer+sheets It's certainly worth a try and it's a helluva lot safer than using a insect repellant like "Off" which contains Deet (a known carcenogin and cause of brain damage, per a story on 20/20 or 60 Minutes a couple years back)....

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip, I will try it! I wonder what it is in the dryer sheet that repels bugs? I've heard about DEET being potentially harmful, but the Deep Woods Off seemed to be necessary when it's just you and the mosquitoes in the middle of nowhere. It's 25% DEET, andI like to think it helped even though I still got bitten!

I don't think anything would repel those flies we encountered, though. They were out for flesh! My boyfriend reasoned they were trying to eat us up because the weather was going to change (get cold) and they knew they were going to die. I don't know about that, I just know I'm really paranoid about bugs since we got back!
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Avon SkinSoSoft = awesome anti-bug spray that makes your skin happy. Very Happy I think they even used to have (or still do?) an anti-bug version of SSS but I always use the regular one. It works.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes, I hate mosquitoes! I swell up whenever I get a bite, so sorry to hear that you got swarmed like that!

I have also been curious to know why they only bite some and not others. Here is something I found online:

Why do mosquitoes seem to bite some people, but not others? This phenomenon is not completely understood. Mosquitoes are attracted by the carbon dioxide that we - and other animals - exhale. They may also be attracted by various odors - perfume, perspiration, lactic acid, detergents - that combine in unique ways to make one victim more attractive than another as a meal. Because dark colors absorb heat and lighter colors tend to reflect heat, mosquitoes also tend to be more attracted to victims dressed in darker clothes. Also, some people react more violently to the bites than others and only appear to be bitten more often.

Were you wearning darker clothing maybe???
s70princess
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes, I hate mosquitoes! I swell up whenever I get a bite, so sorry to hear that you got swarmed like that!

I have also been curious to know why they only bite some and not others. Here is something I found online:

Why do mosquitoes seem to bite some people, but not others? This phenomenon is not completely understood. Mosquitoes are attracted by the carbon dioxide that we - and other animals - exhale. They may also be attracted by various odors - perfume, perspiration, lactic acid, detergents - that combine in unique ways to make one victim more attractive than another as a meal. Because dark colors absorb heat and lighter colors tend to reflect heat, mosquitoes also tend to be more attracted to victims dressed in darker clothes. Also, some people react more violently to the bites than others and only appear to be bitten more often.

violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
s70princess wrote:

Nope, I was wearing light colored clothing, and no blue because I'd heard they liked blue for some reason. They just like me. There's no way around it!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:13 am      Reply with quote
does anyone know of a supplement/vitamin that might make us 'sweeties' a little less delectable???

paris in springtime is lovely, but it also brings out the mosquitoes from hell. i've been dive-bombed in my own apartment, nibbled in my sleep, and eaten voraciously waiting for the metro in the bowels of the earth. this is in a large city, for goodness sakes!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:03 am      Reply with quote
Laughing Oh I know the feeling.
Thankfully I have not been bitten for years, the reason is I no longer taste good to the pesky bugs!!
Yes it is true about the blood sugar but also bugs hate the taste of B Vitamins Wink
So take a good high Multi B Complex, I take a B 100 Complex, once this has built up in your system the bugs should stay away.
Females are normally low on B Vitamins, especially B6 which regulates hormones and if you are on the Contraceptive Pill then it depletes you even more.
B6 works best when it is taken in conjunction with the other B Vitamins, they work best as a team.

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I am new to the forum.

My doctor told me that I was bug friendly because of my cholesterol level was a bit high.

Another friend who works for a pharmaceutical company said that mosquitoes are first attracted by CO2 from our breath and then go for the highest cholesterol person.

I don't like skin so soft because of all the chemicals in it. It also makes my skin break out and stings my eyes

Jackie
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:58 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum JackieB!

I have never heard about the cholesterol/bug friendly connection. I too am "bug friendly" and they seem to prefer me but I actually have low cholesterol levels. They still prefer me to some others I know with higher cholesterol levels.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I too am a skeeter & black fly magnet. Hubby works on Lake Michigan and gripes he can be 2 miles out and the flies find them out there. Of course, he's looking to me to fix it, lol.

Well - I am. I concocted a bug repellent (that is kid safe too!) & a household spritzy/spray. A few more days of field testing Laughing and it will be ready for everyone else! Oh - working on a doggy spray too!

Trying to decide on the base. Would you prefer a lotion base or carrier oil base (very skin healthy BTW, not slimy)?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
Well - I am. I concocted a bug repellent (that is kid safe too!) & a household spritzy/spray. A few more days of field testing Laughing and it will be ready for everyone else! Oh - working on a doggy spray too!

Trying to decide on the base. Would you prefer a lotion base or carrier oil base (very skin healthy BTW, not slimy)?

please, please, please! any base will do. just make it not that foul, please, as it seems that i will have to wear it everywhere and all the time (including sleepy bye time -- have a nice ripe bite on my behind that was sticking out of the covers Shock ).
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
Candy8865 wrote:

please, please, please! any base will do. just make it not that foul, please, as it seems that i will have to wear it everywhere and all the time (including sleepy bye time -- have a nice ripe bite on my behind that was sticking out of the covers Shock ).

rofl That's what you get for leavin your peaches out unprotected!!! rofl

Actually, smells pretty good. Lavender is 1 of the 2nd notes, so pretty soothing.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:48 am      Reply with quote
My Mom and I always get bitten up so badly by mosquitoes and fleas, but no one else in my family does. She brings along a prescription of cortisone tabs when she goes places where she anticipates encountering mosquitoes (helps with the itching/swelling). I've read that taking Vit. B1 (thiamine) makes your blood taste bad to the little boogers. My Dad always told me to take garlic capsules, but I was always afraid they would make my breath stink. (I think now they make garlic capsules that are advertised not to give you bad breath.) Luckily I live in a mosquito-free area, but I plan to try the "Bounce sheets technique" the next time I'm around biting bugs.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
My SO and I went out to the lake the other night - I was outside for 10 minutes at most (we were outside together).

SO - 1 bites
Me - 7 bites.

I am sooooo itchy now.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:45 am      Reply with quote
My father used to smoke, and he NEVER got bitten by mosquitos, while everyone else in the family was a veritable mosquito magnet.

Now that he's finally quit, he too gets bitten. I think it's something in the skin, blood.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to 2nd the dryer sheet suggestion and also recommend the febreze kind with lavender. They work SO well and it is nice to not smell like bug spray!
Emma_Jane
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Apparently certain B vitamins (taken internally) help to deter mosquitos. I have been told, but never tried it myself, that taking Brewer's Yeast as a supplement will make you less tasty to the little pests.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm looking for a more natural, easy to use solution for mosquitoes. Me and my daughter were at a friends lakehouse yesterday and we got eaten alive, despite having slathered myself in OFF with DEET (the only thing my friend had). My son and husband, on the other hand, didn't get a single bite.

I don't like DEET and every natural spray I've used doesn't seem to work totally or stinks. Dryer sheets didn't help. I would like to go outside for once in my life without fear of big red itchy bumps that last forever. I saw this on the internet. It's a transdermal patch which uses thiamin B1 as the active. Has anybody tried these with success? I've also seen citronella based patches. They are expensive, but I'm desperate to find a safe, effective solution. I also going to try garlic supplements.

http://www.agraco.com/PDFFolders/Agraco_Reprint.pdf
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |