Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Retin-A on eyelids and under eyes?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:11 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Retin-A for over 6 months. Sometimes I use it every night and other times when I am peeling a lot I use it every other night. I use it on my eyelids and around my eyes. The eyelids do peel but not so much. My question is is this okay? I know that many people here said that they don't or won't use it in this area because it is too harsh, they look older, too much peeling but I wonder is there a medical reason to NOT use it here? If my eyes tolerate it is this okay or is it dangerous or something? My eyes look pretty good and the crows feet along the sides of my eyes are rapidly disappearing but I don't want to continue with this if there is a medical reason to not use it.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:34 am      Reply with quote
Anna, I've never heard of a medical reason.

I put it on in those places too but only very lightly and don't put it all the way to the lashes. I've heard that it migrates a bit so it's really not necessary.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
I think some just don't like the drying effect. If you get through it, eventually you'll have better skin there.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I think it's only a problem if it gets in your eyes, otherwise it would definitely be a good thing for your skin, as far as I understand.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Well good to know. I was starting to worry that I would be damaging myself. Now if only the Retin-A worked as well on the rest of my face! There I have peeled a lot and it can gross sometimes. My eyes seem to tolerate it better than my face. Isn't this strange?
serenity
5% products discount

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
My eye area tolerated it much better than the rest of my face. I thought that was strange too! I was very pleased with how much firmer that area became.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
How long have you been using it? Also what strength? I've been using it for 6 months and the strength is .05%. I don't know if my eye area is firmer so much as I've noticed that my crows feet are getting less noticeable. Also the little wrinkles under my eyes look really good. By firmer do you mean your eyelids?
serenity
5% products discount

Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
I used .05 and only for a month on my entire face. I've since stopped, because my face was very irritated and red. And I really want to try ISC. I am, however, still using it around my eye area because quite frankly I am amazed at the results and they say it just gets better as the months go by.

As far as the results, let me see if I can describe it... my eye area underneath just seemed in the last year to lose it's "integrity". I mean it was crepy, dry, loose and wrinkly. If I moved the skin with my finger, it took quite a few seconds to "go back into place" Crow's feet were just beginning. I tried ALL the drugstore stuff, and then I learned about Retin A. And honestly, in just one month, I've probably gone back to where I was a year ago. The skin seems to have "firmed up", there is so much more elasticity now and if I move it, it snaps right back into place. (I know I shouldn't do that, but sometimes I just like to check and see!) The fine lines are not completely gone and I don't look 20 again and I still see wrinkles when I laugh, but overall, I'm impressed.

I know it takes different things to work for different people, but this has really worked for me. Now if the ISC will work for my pores..... Smile
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
I use the strongest Retin A out there, and it's true, it does dry out eye wrinkles at first, but then it's all good. Just be sure to not apply it too close to the eyes. I also hope there's no medical reason for not applying it around the eye Shock

And as far as the rest of the face drying too much, I've learned now to put something really emollient on top of retin A, like Decleor's Harmonie balm or pure evening primrose oil (something really oily, that doesn't contain water) and it really helps. My skin is normal in summer and dry the rest of the year, so not sure if it's suitable for oilier skin, but for me it works well, and my skin looks very good in the morning after this kind of treatment.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
A friend of mine here told me that it could be dangerous to use around the eyes because it thins the skin. On message boards though I've read that it first thins then builds up again with more collagen. Which is true?
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
First thins, then builds collagen.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Do you know how long it thins for? I've been using mine for 6 months and I think the eye area is thinner than before. It looks good it's just thinner.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
No, I've never seen a time line for this. I'll bet it would depend on the individual.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Is it normal that one eye can be thinner than the other? I might be imagining this but when I touch my eyelids (just below eyebrow) I think that one is thinner than the other. Am I going crazy? Laughing
AnnieBeansprout

Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry I am not technical on this but years ago my doctor described the outer layer of skin will thin, while the deeper layers actually thicken due to collegen production.

Something like that! That is why the skin is so sensitive to the sun, because the outer layer has thinned. It will stay thinned, as long as we continue to use Retin A, however, the deeper layers will be thicker, and therefore firming up our skin some.

I've used Retin A now for 23 years, and until 4 months ago never wore it directly under my eyes. My doctor prescribed me Renova instead of my normal Micro, and I gave it a try but hated it. It made my skin break out (really stinks at age 45 to still break out!), so I went back to Micro, but I kept the Renova for under the eyes and also my chest.

I have seen a HUGE improvement under my eyes over the last month or so, and like others in this thread, I never had irritation under my eyes. Just a feeling of tighteness, which would go away with my morning moisturizer. That seems to have passed now.

I have seen more improvement under my eyes than anywhere else on my face, although I guess I would never really know, since I started using it on my face at age 23 (originally for acne).
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I use retin A around the eyes and very rarely have irritation there. My neck is another story, and I have to make sure I don't put too much acid on or the combination causes one itchy red neck.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Anna_in_Sweden wrote:
My eyes seem to tolerate it better than my face. Isn't this strange?

Same here!
bordnfl2
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:59 am      Reply with quote
I am going to use Retin A for the first time and will be ordering from Alldaychemist. I am 56 with some lines around the eyes, my primary reason for buying it.

I do not have sensitive skin but was still thinking of starting off with a very low percentage. What sunblock is best to use and how long after the retin a can I apply the sunblock?
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Most people use Retin A at night before bed - so you sleep with it on, then apply your sunscreen first thing in the morning. Re sunscreen - tell us what skin type you have and issues and people can then make appropriate recommendations for you.

bordnfl2 wrote:
I am going to use Retin A for the first time and will be ordering from Alldaychemist. I am 56 with some lines around the eyes, my primary reason for buying it.

I do not have sensitive skin but was still thinking of starting off with a very low percentage. What sunblock is best to use and how long after the retin a can I apply the sunblock?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have fairly non-sensitive skin that tends to be dry. I have no breakout issues, just some lines around my eyes. I am outside a lot in the mornings with my 4 dogs letting them get exercise so I would not want to be without sun protection if I start the Retin-A. My skin is pretty boring Smile but is is heading south as well, with some lower face sagging Sad

I come inside at 10 am to get ready for work. The office I work in has a lot of sunlight coming in as well but I am not near a window.
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I envy anyone that can use retin-a around the eyes, it is the area I need the most help with but I always end up with crepy eyes Crying or Very sad I have been able to use it on neck area without too much trouble, so go figure... Confused
jedder
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:19 am      Reply with quote
I use retin a on my lower lids with pretty good results...... the cream version (0.5) tends to be less drying than the gel. I put the retin a on, leave for twenty minutes then moisturise over the top with either jojoba or avocado oil.
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum, jedder!

I haven't been brave enough to try the under-eye area but your idea sounds very practical. This I would try. Did you do this at the very start of using Retin A?
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2011 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
anyone use retin-a on their breasts for firmness? I'm skeptical because I don't want it to cause breast cancer

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, why would it do that??

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |