Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Getting rid of that belly bulge
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I know this sounds lame, but I have been DVRing the Denise Austin Fit and Lite and Cardio programs from lifetime in the mornings for about 2 months. So far it has really improved my entire body, especially stomach/hip region. The workouts are not really intense (usually), and are easy to do, and I have gotten to the point where I look forward to doing them.

A few weeks into it (once I was in better shape) I started incorporating a kickboxing dvd (one of those 10 minute kind). I think this is the best shape I have ever been in! I think the keys for me have been: an overall body workout that incorporates cardio, targeted strength, and toning/stretching exercises, in addition to Consistency (daily for me), and healthy eating. The nice think about the Denise Austin tv programs are that they are free, and the targeted exercises change every day. For example, 1 day is abs, the next is hips/thighs, etc. Plus I don't get bored doing the same workout over and over.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Olyn wrote:
I know this sounds lame, but I have been DVRing the Denise Austin Fit and Lite and Cardio programs from lifetime in the mornings for about 2 months. So far it has really improved my entire body, especially stomach/hip region. The workouts are not really intense (usually), and are easy to do, and I have gotten to the point where I look forward to doing them.

That's a great idea! Don't you just love DVR? I don't know how I ever lived without it!
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
I really do love DVR. I don't know how I lived with out it before! It's especially nice for the workouts because I can pause and rewind if I missed something, and I also fast forward through the commercials.

For anyone that doesn't have DVR though I would recommend taping it just for a try...I have tried a number of workout dvds and I still do use them supplementally, or if I just am in the mood for something different. But my workouts now usually center around the shows, and I use the dvds if I'm up for a challenge, bored, it's the weekend, etc. I really do like the daily change in routines on the shows.

The first program is definitely light, I like to think of it as a nice warmup. It usually has some light cardio/strength training, yoga, pilates, etc. Then the second show..I think it's called daily cardio workout? It is mostly cardio, with targeted strength and toning...some of it can be really challenging to me, while other days seem pretty easy. Sometimes she does interval training, which is a combination of cardio and strength. You do aerobics for a set amount of time, then while you keep moving, lift some weights for a certain time, then go back to aerobics, etc.

The backgrounds where the shows are filmed are all really pretty (outdoor) locations, so they are nice to look at too. I do feel silly sometimes because Denise has a lot of funny catch phrases and is Very talkative throughout the workouts. But you know what? For me it's actually motivating. It's nice having someone tell me that I did a good job, or that I'm worth it, things like that...even if it's just someone on tv. Smile

Of course, the best part is that it's free! Smile

Ugh, sorry this post is so long!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Well Olyn, I DVR'ed my first two episodes this morning so I'll try them out this weekend and let you know. Neither of them sounded like they had much cardio in them, but the descriptions weren't very detailed so I'll see.

I know what you mean about Denise and her little catch phrases. Sometimes they get on my nerves a bit because their just so cheesy, but they do help some as well. I like that she's such a positive person and that keeps me motivated!
laine
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
Sharky, where do you find your flax bread?
I love flax and always keep ground flax on hand. But I never saw flax bread!!!
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
TAMGirl,
Just a a cautionary...some of the workouts vary drastically in their intensity from day to day. It is nice for me now that I am used to it, but the first couple of workouts I did seemed Really easy. I sampled a few before I decided to stick with it regularly. Overall, they are less intense than most of the dvds I do, but I feel like that is what keeps me going..not dreading the workout because it is so hard. And like I said, I got good results because I kept with it, which is what I needed-consistency. Smile
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Olyn! I didn't expect them to be very hard, but I agree it's fun to change it up and I love that they're free! I'm headed to the gym this morning for some good cardio so I'll probably try these tomorrow.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Walking I've found is the best thing for getting rid of a bit of tummy. I guess any, good, cardio workout would do it. I'm not for complicated or gym oriented exercising so walking is perfect for me.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:59 am      Reply with quote
So I finally did my first workout to the Denise Austin "Fit and Light" I recorded last week and I really liked it. The only thing that bugs me is that they have commercials!!! At least I DVR it so I can fast forward easily, but still. I enjoyed that she was giving tips throughout it like cooking veggies in chicken broth to give them more flavor, adding spices for flavor/increasing metabolism, etc. That one was a really good workout for my abs, but overall it was still a pretty "light" workout.
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
TAMGirl-
I'm glad you liked it! I do the Fit and Light and then the second one is called "Daily Workout", which is a little more of the type of workout I am used to. I also saved a few episodes that I really liked so I can use them anytime (For example, once in a blue moon she uses a stepper block, and I don't have one. So it's good for times like those). I agree about the commercials being annoying, but I just use them to take a couple of sips of water while I fast-forward.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
I use the cheesy "8 min ab workout video" haha. It actually works.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Do a google search on Tonalin CLA. I started taking it last week (from GNC), so its too early to report on it, but from what I've read it can help reduce belly fat.
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:11 am      Reply with quote
Okay PhoebesMeow, I did my first 10 in 10 callanetics last night. Holy CRAP! Shock Yeah, that was MUCH harder than pilates/yoga which is so strange because it's extremely slow paced and looks like it'd be so easy. I only made it through about 50% of the tummy exercises after that first 100 reps and the pelvic thingy's killed my legs. My poor legs were trembling after I got done.

When you first started did you find it a bit tough on your joints? I had a hard time with my neck, knees and back, but I read at the end that people usually do and that if you still have the problems after 4 workouts to see a doc.

And the lady kind of annoyed me, I'm not sure why though. At least it's a great workout so I will definitely do the 10 and then see about moving up. It's so funny to see them in leotards and I feel absolutely ridiculous when I do any of the pelvic exercises. Good thing I don't have a roommate! Laughing
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:32 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE love LOVE callanetics. I'm so glad you tried it, everyone who does it says once they get better at it, it Blows away their "advanced" pilates workouts! You'll get through the tummy exercises on the 10 in 10 but then when you try the Super Callanetics with the advanced tummy exercises you're gonna feel so outta shape because they are harder than you can ever imagine. There's 2 extra ab moves in the super that are completely different than the 10 in 10 and SOOO much harder (especially since they're done after the original 400 ab moves). And the exciting pelvic rotations, KILLER on the legs, in the super she makes you do 20 in each direction and I cry. I don't have issues with my neck anymore but I did at first, it really does go away when you get stronger (and it seems one can do all the ab workouts in the world before callanetics and once they do callanetics they have to get to that next level of being strong). I have knee problems though, but I've had those for years. I've found that using a pillow for my knees helps because the matt wasn't enough cushion. I can't say I've noticed anything wrong with my back, I know she advertises this workout is good for those with back problems. I think you may just feel this stuff because its your first time. For me it seems like a very safe workout, so hopefully those aches and pains will go away.
I don't like her either. I really don't. She's FAR to thin, she almost looks like she has an eating disorder, and if you read her books, in her writing she sounds like she has issues with food. But anyway, she developed a fabulous workout that gives results FAST. I'm 8 years younger now, super callanetics 3 hours and regular 5 hours (I switch back and forth). The last time I did super callanetics I actually stopped after every exercise, wrote it down, with how many reps so that I'd have it all so I could do it in front of the tv instead of having to watch her. I'm not abandoning the tapes all together because she gives the constant reminders of form and tilting up, but after you do it enough you'll remember all that stuff and its the kind of workout you don't need to actually watch on video you know. I just have to use a timer so I don't rush the count.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Writing down the steps is a good idea. How do you time the counts, 2 per second or something? I'll definitely want to watch the video a few more times before I do it on my own since I want to get the technique right.

The problems I have with my knees are on the bar stretches. Having all of the weight on my foot and nothing supporting my knee is killer. I'm not sure how else you can do them though. And I'm sure the neck/back thing will go away. Even my arms got sooo tired from holding them up in the air at times or supporting myself. I also really like the pics they use to show body transformations after each hour. That will motivate anyone! Thanks for letting us know about these tapes! Very Happy
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
I have taken pilates classes and it really helped with the belly.
Crunches help eliminate the bulge if you are doing it right. You have to have the right technique.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
http://lifestyle.sympatico.msn.ca/BodyandMind/TheSoko/articles/TS+7WaystoLoseLoveHandles.htm
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:58 am      Reply with quote
TAMgirl99 wrote:
Writing down the steps is a good idea. How do you time the counts, 2 per second or something? I'll definitely want to watch the video a few more times before I do it on my own since I want to get the technique right.

I think its only one per second unless her counter is fast on the screen.... I really don't know, but I'm thinking its just 100 seconds and one per second. At least for the majority of them such as the ab exercises because you know how she says "don't worry if you get behind the counter, you'll work up to that pace" so I think the counter is there for one move per second. I thought you were talking about the knee moves where you're kneeling and sitting like in the pelvic cirlces, that's when my knees hurt..I haven't so much had issues with the bar exercises, but you have to make sure not to keep that knee you're standing on locked otherwise the pressure could be too much. You want to keep it relaxed. Please keep me updated on how you're doing because I think Callanetics is magical (and I feel like I've tried everything)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Yes! The sitting pelvic exercise hurts them as well. But it's mainly the bar exercise and I don't think I can do much about it but hope I get stronger. It's the knee that's up in the air that hurts, not the one I'm standing on. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I can't wait to see how my body progresses with this!!!
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |