Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sleeping on back to prevent facial wrinkling
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
I try sleep on my back and no matter what I always wake up sleeping on my stomach with my face smashed into the pillow. It didn't used to be this way. I think in the last 5 years I started doing this. I have stuck pillows on both sides of me to stop me from rolling over and nothing helps. I got desperate so I bought a sleep mask thinking that at least it would protect my eyes and upper face area. Is this good for this area or does it make it worse?

What can I do to stop rolling on my stomach?
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
I think i'm the blacksheep compared to most when it comes to sleeping. I pretty much have always slept on my back, and when i roll on the side my cheek never really touches the pillow (body on side and face remaining facing ceiling). I've never been able to sleep on my stomach..Unfortunately breaking a habit that deals with sleeping might be difficult considering you don't always know when you're going to be rolling around. I'm not familiar with sleeping masks but it sounds like it might prevent your skin from breathing? Maybe putting your bed by a wall and sleeping as close to it might give you a barrier from wanting to flop over in the middle of the night.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Okay so I used to have this thing called Brava, which if you've ever heard of it is this really expensive equipment thing for breast enlargement. Its actually been mentioned on this board a few times, but its not worth the thousands you have to spend on it. Anyway, you would put these two HUGE domes over your breasts and HAD to sleep on your back. Every night for months, if you moved an alarm would go off saying it lost suction and you'd have to wake up and redo it. So I slept on my back for months and when I stopped using it I couldn't fall asleep unless I was on my back. So I guess you can teach your body to learn a new comfortable position. I used to always sleep on my side before this but ever since Brava I've been a back sleeper. Strange. But I hate Pillow Face too!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Anna!

You could try pinning a rolled up pair of socks or something to the front of whatever you wear to bed so that it would be uncomfortable if you roll over. If you use a diaper type pin or locking safety pin you should not get stuck... or you could sew something to your night clothes if you prefer.

I had heard somewhere a while ago that a woman sewed a marble to the back of her husbands night clothes to keep him from sleeping on his back as he is a snorer..
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried sleeping on my back, but always end up laying on my stomach. In the morning I would have some real horrid lines from smooching my face into the pillow. Sad A couple of months ago I purchased the "save my face" pillowette and I no longer wake up with pillow face! In case you've never heard of this pillow before, it has 2 crescent shapes back to back so that your face "floats" in the open space even when you change directions.
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I'm the same way, started sleeping on my face in the past few years. I've given up on trying to re-learn and now just use Frownies on my forehead and right side.

You can literally tell I sleep on the right side by my face folds (that are now becoming wrinkles because of this).

Frownies help me A LOT. I find if I use them a few nights in a row, then skip a few nights, the effect lingers. Then I start over.
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I think getting a good night's sleep is better for preventing wrinkles than worrying about sleeping on your face and doing everything you can to sleep on your back Shock . I personally love sluggling into my soft pillow at night! Very Happy
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:32 am      Reply with quote
About Frownies I read that some people use regular tape or even masking tape instead of Frownies. Does this work?

What is the pillow. Is it called Save my face? I wonder if they sell it here.

A friend said that those ergonomic (sp?) pillows that are for people with back problems are sometimes good at stopping people from sleeping on their stomach. The pillows are higher in the front than the back.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
My mom recently purchased a satin pillow case at a beauty supply store at the recommendation of her hair stylist. Her hair is notoriously fragile and he wants her to minimize her washings. She's finding that the pillow prevents her from getting bed head. In fact, her hair looks pretty much the same when she wakes up as it did the day before, so shes not tempted to wash it to allow for styling.

I'm thinking that a satin pillow would also work for notorious side sleepers (me, included) to minimize the pressure and friction that contributes to facial wrinkles. I'm fairly convinced that no contraption will prevent me from sleeping in the fetal position. I'll just wake up from the frustration of not being able to roll over.

I've been meaning to try the satin pillow and will post back when I do. I should be able to see if it works for the face because side sleeping triggers my "11" to surface until I've hydrated and applied my morning products.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Wow, what great suggestions! I second the satin pillowcase idea, I was given a few of these as a gift about a year ago and LOVE them. Its true that they help with your hair breaking AND they're better for your skin. You can google it and there's loads of info about this. Here is just one link:
http://satinwonders.com/

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:51 am      Reply with quote
Anna in Sweden-Yes, it's called "save my face". I think it's mostly sold online. I purchased mine through fleurdepeau.com because they offer spare pillow cases (regular pillow cases cannot be used with this pillow, they defeat the effectiveness). There's 2 sizes available. The petite is smaller, firmer, and used on top of your existing pillow. It's suggested not to choose this one if you have sensitive ears. I chose the LeGrande which is softer, larger & made to replace your existing pillow. A few months back I decided it was time to replace our old down pillows so I did some research on what types of pillows are best. This is what I learned: If you're a side sleeper, choose a medium to firm pillow which will keep the head aligned with the spine. Stomach sleepers need a softer, flatter pillow so that the neck & head also remain aligned. HTH.
BTW, I'm half Swedish- both my grandparents on my mom's side immigrated to the States when they were young.

LandB- Satin pillow cases do help, but I find a high thread count cotton case more comfortable. I guess because it feels cooler & is more breathable than satin.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Anna,

Because of some medical conditions I have I almost always have to sleep on my left side but often wake up with my face smashed into the pillow Confused My eyebrows go every which way and can stay like that for hours Mad

Another board I read has raved about the "Save My Face" pillow for several years. They really seem to like it. I have yet to buy it.

I'm with kls, I much prefer high thread count cases or t-shirt type cases.

As for "frownies" I've used regular scotch tape, masking tape would rip my skin off Shock
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I've used tape and it just didn't hold my face as well as frownies. Since it was soft, my face still moved and folded under it. Frownies are much stiffer.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:23 am      Reply with quote
What about those flexible bandaids if you just use the sticky parts and not the cotton center of the bandaid?
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I don't see how they'd be better than tape, since tape is also flexible and that's why it didn't work (at least for me). It just didn't work as a physical "hold-in-place" kind of barrier.

I'm also wanting to try a buckwheat hull U-shaped pillow but so far I've only found them on Ebay. The ones in my local stores are made with synthetic stinky material.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:39 am      Reply with quote
What about the tops of envelopes? Just lick and stick! Laughing

Hmmm...I wonder if that *would* work?
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:59 am      Reply with quote
Frownies are basically brown craft paper with postal glue, so I don't know... maybe that would work.

Can you get Frownies in Sweden? I can buy them here in Canada, but they're so much more expensive than from Drugstore.com, so about twice a year I break down and order from them Smile Not just Frownies of course but a load of stuff at the same time, that way outrageously high shipping and slow service don't sting as bad.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:12 am      Reply with quote
melissa49 wrote:
I think getting a good night's sleep is better for preventing wrinkles than worrying about sleeping on your face and doing everything you can to sleep on your back Shock . I personally love sluggling into my soft pillow at night! Very Happy

Melissa, I am with you on this one!! I'm generally very uncomfortable on my back, I've always been a stomach and side sleeper. I'd rather spend a lifetime sleeping comfortably and well than end up with a few less wrinkles. Laughing
I think this is up there with trying to minimize facial expressions to prevent wrinkling. But, to each his (or her!) own..
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Agreed!!! Few months ago I tried to sleep on my side with my face facing up, well not really facing up but an angle so my face won't touch the pillow. Ended up with a stiff neck and horrible sleeping for about 2 weeks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
I wasn't asking because I am so vain that I will do anything to sleep on my back to prevent wrinkles. In truth it is better for my back to sleep on it. I have two vertebrae (sp?) that are fused together so short of surgery the two things that help are sleeping on my back and Pilates. When I was younger I wore a brace at night. The reduction of wrinkles just makes me want to stay sleeping on my back even more. I always start out my sleep on my back but by morning time I am laying on my stomach. This started about 5 years ago. It is killing my back and in the future probably my face. The reason that I did not mention my back problems is because this is a board about beauty and skin care and I didn't think that it was relevant in this discussion.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Pumaka, I have not seen Frownies here. I travel to the US once a year so I can get them then. Otherwise I noticed that many were selling them on ebay.
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:42 pm      Reply with quote
I believe I had read somewhere to wear to bed a baseball cap or sun visor with the brim worn to the side. But I guess that only works if you tend to try to turn only to one side. And you'd probably have to wear the cap kind of snug so your head doesn't just turn inside the cap. Laughing

If it's really important for you to learn to sleep on your back, it's worth a try...

Regarding the Satin pillowcase, a good friend of mine told me about that about 15 yrs ago. She's African-American, and said that cotton pillowcases dried out her hair quicker. And with Satin, she was able to maintain her hairstyle longer. I actually learned this when we went on vacation and she had brought a Satin pillowcase with her!
I personally haven't tried it yet, but now that I'm getting "pillowcase-face" that takes a long time to go away, I'm thinking of trying it.

I'm also going to look into Frownies. It sounds like the way Biore strips felt when I tried it years ago.

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:51 am      Reply with quote
I have a Save My Face pillow and it does help. Wish I could just sleep on my back, though!
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Anna, sorry if it felt like you were being made to feel vain! I didn't realize that in your case, sleeping on your back really IS about comfort! Of course if it works out best for you to sleep on your back, avoiding future wrinkles is a bonus. Wink
I was going to suggest trying a body pillow to each side... but I thought about it and I can imagine that I would just end up spooning one of them by the end of the night!! Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |