Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Toner causing burning sensation?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Lately I've been experiencing some burning on my face. Or, rather, a burning, hot sensation after I apply my Proactiv toner. I've never been sensitve to it until just recently, so I'm wondering what's going on.

It started a few months back when I started using the bareminerals foundation. I've heard some people can't use it as they are sensitive to, bismuth, is it? But it doesn't burn when I put the makeup on, though. The sensation occurs when I apply toner (after I've used cleansing oil and the proactiv cleanser). (I figured it had to be the makeup, because I don't get the sensation when I use the toner in the morning and I never got it before the makeup.)

The sensation goes away when I apply my repairing lotion. There's some redness that goes away pretty quickly as well. That is, until last night. The burning upped itself, I mean it was very close to actually hurting. I put on my repairing lotion-- no go. Put on some moisturizer, still burned and tingled. So I sat in front of a fan until I felt better! Sad There was definate redness and blotchiness this time. I didn't do anything differently last night, either. The sensation was the strongest on the sides of my face, by my mouth. It almost felt like prickly heat. There's no change in texture or anything, so my skin isn't actually being damaged, I don't think. It's just uncomfortable!

I've started using a Olay moisturizer a week or so ago, with an spf 15. I don't know if this would cause a change, it seems like pretty benign stuff.

So what I'm thinking is the bareminerals is somehow reacting with my toner, but I can't figure out how seeing as I have every trace of it off my face before toning. Perhaps it's something in the toner? Here are the ingredients:

Proactiv revitalizing toner : water (aqua), glycolic acid, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) extract, anthemis nobilis flower extract, rosa canina fruit extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, sodium PCA, panthenol, glycerin, propylene glycol, allantoin, polysorbate-20, hydroxyethylcellulose, sodium hydroxide, benzophenone-4, tetrasodium EDTA, methylparaben, propylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea, fragrance (parfum), blue 1, yellow 5.

I'm not ready to give up my proactiv cleanser or lotion but if someone has an idea as to what it is in the toner that's making my face owie, and suggest something that might be more gentle yet serve the same purpose, I'd be grateful! I think tonight I will just skip that step altogether!!
Linnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe using the toner once a day, instead of twice, is a good idea. I would hesitate to use a moisturizer because it could make your skin «oilier» and counter the effect of Proactiv. When I started using Dalacin Lotion, my dermatologist told me to resist the urge to use a moisturizer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
I must say, I'm pretty surprised that you're having this problem with the proactiv toner. In all honesty, the toner was the only part of that system that I could stand, and I thought it was quite gentle. That being said, I've noticed that when I use strong stuff on my face like BP, it becomes even MORE sensitive than usual, and even things that usually wouldn't bother my skin sting or make it feel irritated, so you may be experiencing something like that. Of course, if that IS the case you may have to break up the proactiv system which you probably don't want to do, so I don't have a lot of other suggestions. Like Linnie said, you can try using the proactiv toner once a day, and then the other time you wash your face try a really gentle, non-medicated toner. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
The toner used to feel very cooling on my skin, so this recent develop does have me baffled. I've used Proactiv for four years and never had this problem before!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
violetanne I agree with Liz, it is possible that something you are using is irritating your skin so that when you use the toner you feel a burning sensation. If your skin is irritated by something else then applying a toner with glycolic acid could easily burn. I have sensitive skin and sometimes will use something that causes irritation and find that I cannot use products that I can normally tolerate until the irritation subsides. Another possibility is that Proactive may have changed the toner formula and you are reacting to the new formula.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Thinking of what Liz said, I skipped my Proactiv cleanser last night and used a sample of DHC mild cleansing cream, then used my toner, and the sensation wasn't as "burny" as it was the previous night, but there was still a slight tingling.

I will try to leave out the cleanser again tonight (argh, can I do it??) and see if the burning has stopped altogether.

You see, I am afraid to stop using the proactiv products since I've used them for so long with such good results. I'm terrified that if I stop, my face will become the warzone it once was! Anxious
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Update: I think my suspicions were right. Yesterday I used Maybelline Pure Makeup instead of my minerals and there was absolutely no burning sensation when I used my toner at night. So, I'm not sure of the why or the how, but my BE makes my toner burn.

The solution? I ordered Juice Beauty hydrating face mist to use on the days I wear my mineral makeup. Actually, it was an excellent excuse to finally try out some Juice Beauty which I've been really curious about!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
OOH, I've been dying to try that stuff! Please let us know what you think!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:48 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
Update: I think my suspicions were right. Yesterday I used Maybelline Pure Makeup instead of my minerals and there was absolutely no burning sensation when I used my toner at night. So, I'm not sure of the why or the how, but my BE makes my toner burn.

what happened to you definitely sounds like an allergy to bismuth. you can try to fix it any way you like, with spritzers, etc., but it isn't going to fix it. if you're truly allergic, it will only get worse. trust me (been there, done that). if you really like the mineral foundation, try one that doesn't contain bismuth.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |