Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cysts due to skin trauma?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
HeavenLeigh
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Dear all,

I was wanted to know if anyone experienced deep, nodular cystic acne breakouts or milia breakouts on their skin AFTER using harsh exfoliating methods? I have read that breakouts (milia and/or cysts) can occur due to skin trauma.

I myself have experienced this with epidermx, I did loooove the feel of my skin right after, as well as the way it made my skin look brightened and refresh. Get this, I had about 1 hour of sleep and walked into class grumbling, and a few were astonished and said I looked very refreshed. I was thrilled!
Sadly, after I used epidermx the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time, milia-like lumps started occuring along the sides of my face, and eventually they became hard, red, underground lumps which seem like nodular acne. They have been there for 3 months and show no signs of disappearing. Needless to say, I never tried Epidermx again, because the underground breakouts seem to increase (and not disappear) after each subsequent time I finish with epidermx.

Anywayz, after a long-winded story, lol Smile I was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar with epidermx or pro. microdermabrasion or any strong exfoliating methods? (both chemical and manual)
*sigh* I would so love to go back to using epidermx because it did make my skin look sooo beautiful (smaller pores, brighter, fresher skin).

----------------------------------------------
VERY acne-prone, large pores, tans and lightens very easily, medium skin tone, 22 years old
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Blimey, no! But poor you!

Epidermx does occasionally bring little spots to the surface on me, but that helps get rid of them faster.

It sounds as though it may not be suitable for your particular skin, unfortunately. Or maybe you're allergic to one of the ingredients?

Have you tried something like Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel or PSF's Pumpkin Peel instead? They're very popular around here (I've only used the Pumpkin Peel, not the Green Apple one, and loved it.)
Seeking~HG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Yes, HeavenLeigh! The same thing happens to me. It seems like every time I use an exfoliating facial scrub or Epidermx, the next day I usually end up with a couple of acne cysts. (But I do so LOVE the immediate feeling I'm left with after using these products!) The same thing happens when I get a prof. microdermabrasion. The same day after-effects seem great, but the next day is another story--at least 2 big cysts always come out. I didn't know if my body was "purging" or if the extra stimulation caused more oil production. I think your assessment makes more sense--SKIN TRAUMA. That pretty much sums it up. But, if I don't exfoliate, my skin feels yucky. And I have yet to find a spot treatment that works for my stubborn cystic acne spots. What to do?! Anxious

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:34 am      Reply with quote
HeavenLeigh I have acne prone skin and although I am not certain of this I think that the glycolic acid peels that I get at my derms cause this to happen to me. I have been getting the peels for two years and for a while I thought that something else was the cause of the cysts that I was getting but lately I have been suspecting that it is the peels. For me they happen 9 to 10 days post-peel. I am thinking of stopping the peels for many reasons so I will have to see if the cysts still occur.

My derm has recommended microdermabrasion but I don't want to do that. I have heard that any type of mechanical exfoliation is especially likely to cause breakouts on acne prone skin, particularly sensitive/acne prone skin like mine.

Seeking~HG I use Duac(5% benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin) as a spot treatment and that works pretty good, although when the Duac expires in a week or so I will be looking for an alternative. I am considering just plain BP or Yonka Juvenil. BTW I know what you mean about the exfoliating thing. I have yet to find something that works. Even getting professional strenght peels once a month I still feel that I need some type of regular exfoliation. To make matters even worse I have very sensitive skin so I have to worry about causing irritation. I am looking into some types of enzyme exfoliation to see if that would be a good option and I recently started to use the Kanebo Silk Peeling powder but haven't been using that long enough to comment.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Last year I developed a big sore on my chin just after using Avon Anew glycolic peel 2 step system. Not sure if it was a cyst or cold sore, but it was really bad. Needless to say, I never used that product again.
This spring I used Epidermx a few times, on one occasion I developed a similar sore very close to where the other one erupted last year.
Although I really like how smooth my skin feels after using Epidermx, I now only use it occasionally, with a lighter touch, and avoid the chin area.
HeavenLeigh
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Ok! So its time to stop using epidermx! *cry* lol. I just purchased Yonka Juvenil and will post a review about it shortly! I need to get rid of these 3 month old cysts! grr Smile Still, based on the reviews on Yonka Juvenil, I'm hopeful...VERY hopeful!
Leaky
5% products discount

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using epidermx for a couple of months now and I think the same thing is happening to me. *sob sob!* My skin feels so nice and smooth and my forehead clogged pores are beginning to clear up, but I keep getting painful red lumps every couple of days.

I've also got a small patch of dry rashy looking skin on my cheek. Was hoping it wasn't due to the epidermx, but now i'm wondering. Please don't let it be so!

Have any of the lovely ladies on this thread investigated further since you last posted? Any suggestions as to alternatives to epidermx?
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I second the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel suggestion.

I also love Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Acne Mark Fading Peel. It helped shrink down the size of a huge blemish (a red hard bump) that has been on my right cheek for a week. It's almost flat now.
http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails_306.asp
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
This is a very interesting thread for me! I too have very sensitive, acne-prone skin. Since I'm using Differin I've had to back off for the time being on glycolic peels, etc, but I really do feel like I need some kind of exfoliation. I've used Alba Hawaiian Pineapple Scrub with no ill-affects--- it's very gentle and contains jojoba beads, but I'd like to find something stronger that won't make my skin go nuts. Maybe I should consider a Clarisonic or some kind of scrubby face cloth? Suggestions are welcome! TIA!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
Liz, have you tried Queen Helene Mint Julep Scrub? The scrubbing beads are very gentle.
Leaky
5% products discount

Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I use Differin too, but not on the nights I use epidermx.

I'm interested in trying out the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel. Would it be too much using it with the Differin?
trueblu
5% products discount

Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
OMG!!! I have had the same problems with Epidermix and have not used it for months because I felt it was creating more cysts!!

Here is THE BEST enzyme exfoliante EVER (and believe me I have tried EVERYTHING).....I stumbled on this by way of infomercial and I swear by it. You can use it daily if needed without any side effects. It is a thick gel that you rub on your face and it slowly starts to thin out and I swear the skin breaks down and slowly balls up and comes off. I have been on Obaji and retin-a and have had severe peelies but I don't worry now because I have my dream product that takes care of the side effects!!!

Aloette Restorative Enzyme Peel, check out the website, you will be happy that you did!!!
smqueen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
this happened to me this week too.. i got a new korean exfoliating wash cloth -best exfoliating product ive ever used! i went a little overboard on the scrubbing and the last couple days ive been battling cysts Sad what are the steps to heal skin trauma?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |