Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

7 and 8 am
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
I like to get some sun in early morning around 7 but sometimes 8 in the morning, because they said it is good for sleeping and for overall mood. I just wondered if its safe to be out at this time without getting sun damaged. I am not sure if it is a healthy sun at this hour. Any ideas.?
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I might be wrong, but I think the benefit is the sun getting in your eyes (that sounds weird, hopefully you know what I mean Laughing ). I think if you wear sunscreen you can still get the benefits without damage to your skin. The sun does do damage to your eyes, too, but I think wearing sunglasses might make the sleep and mood effects not work as well. Hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about will come along and actually help! Very Happy
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
The condition you're referring to is known as S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder). It occurs frequently in people living in the northern regions (when referring to the northern Hemisphere) during the winter months. But this can also affect people that are constantly indoors without much natural sunlight. Lack of good light can affect a person's mood & sleeping patterns. I did a lot of research on this last winter because I thought our household might be suffering from this (we live in Canada). I found out a lot of interesting things (I would have to go back in my findings to give you specifics). In a nutshell, I was very impressed by the results I read about using light therapy for S.A.D., purchased 2 light therapy lamps for the home & office, and noticed a significant improvement in one week using it for about 30-40 minutes per day.
Jala
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
kls wrote:
The condition you're referring to is known as S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder). It occurs frequently in people living in the northern regions (when referring to the northern Hemisphere) during the winter months.

I get this in the winter here in New England and purchased one of those light therapy boxes, but, unfortunately, it gave me awful headaches..and I'm not prone to headaches at all. I gave it to a friend, though, and she loved it! Maybe I should try a different brand. kls..do you know what brand yours is? Even though it is June, we still haven't seen much of the sun around here Sad
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
It is definitely a catch twenty-two. You need unprotected skin exposure to the sun for Vit D (D3 in particular), and it's the same exposure that can cause skin cancer and wrinkling.

My understanding is - that if the sun changes your pigment at all (melanin - getting a burn or tan), it is causing damage. And prolonged sun exposure to the eyes can cause various eye disease.4

"Small amounts of sun exposure are essential to good health. Vitamin D, which is produced in the skin by exposure to ultraviolet B, regulates calcium levels in the blood and is needed for bone and musculoskeletal health."1

"Because the UV action spectra for DNA damage leading to skin cancer and for vit D photosynthesis are virtually identical, the harmful and beneficial effects of UV irradiation are inseparable."2

I had heard (on the news?) you only need a small amount of sun exposure (up to 15 min) on a small part of unprotected skin. Basically, most of us are OK because most people don't apply sunscreen to every single part of their body all day long. Actually, most people don't apply sunscreen properly - at least 1oz (a shot-glass) over the whole body every few hours - anytime there are to be exposed to the sun.4 That would be like going through at least a bottle of sunscreen a week! Shock
People more at risk are people who are totally home-bound.

"Sensible sun exposure (usually 5-10 min of exposure of the arms and legs or the hands, arms, and face, 2 or 3 times per week) and increased dietary and supplemental vitamin D intakes are reasonable approaches to guarantee vitamin D sufficiency."3

I'll post any more articles I can find on the subject.

--------------------
1 - ICNIRP
2 - Wolpowitz D, Gilchrest BA.
3 - Holick MF
4 - American Cancer Society - Skin cancer and protection

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Duh - I didn't even think about S.A.D! And I suffer from that in the winter (my apartment doesn't get much sunlight any time of the year)

Yes, a light therapy box helps - but they are expensive. Now they sell light bulbs (not refering to the lamps) that claim they do the same thing, but they aren't as effective.
With the light box, you're supposed to have your face inches away for periods of time a day.

I have some links about S.A.D and light therapy if interested...

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Jala wrote:
kls wrote:
The condition you're referring to is known as S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder). It occurs frequently in people living in the northern regions (when referring to the northern Hemisphere) during the winter months.

I get this in the winter here in New England and purchased one of those light therapy boxes, but, unfortunately, it gave me awful headaches..and I'm not prone to headaches at all. I gave it to a friend, though, and she loved it! Maybe I should try a different brand. kls..do you know what brand yours is? Even though it is June, we still haven't seen much of the sun around here Sad

Hi Jala
I don't think the brand is so important, but more the type of light it uses. (There are so many to choose from).
The length of time, distance from your eyes, & positioning are key factors when using light therapy.
I found if I used it too long I would get a headache & feel irritable. When I did it for what seemed right for me I really felt in a better mood.
The closer it is to your eyes, the less time you'll need for a session. Each light should instruct you on how long to use it at what distances. The light is very bright so you might not be able to handle it at the minimum distance. It does take time to get use to. One of our lights has a dimmer, so you can start out at a lower level & increase the intensity as your eyes adjust.
The other thing I learned is that these lights work best from an angle above your head (just like the sun). I believe I found that information in the Mayo clinic site. This is a key factor when choosing what model will work best for you. One of the lamps we have is a floor lamp from Full Spectrum Solutions (about 4' high) with a dimmer. It's perfect for when you're sitting. The other is a triangular unit that I hang above & in front of my desk (forget the brand name right now).
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
So, you need the light on your skin for vitamin D, and in your eyes for S.A.D.? Is that right?
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
cloud_9 wrote:
So, you need the light on your skin for vitamin D, and in your eyes for S.A.D.? Is that right?

Yeah...I guess so, never thought about it like that! The skin needs sunlight for Vit D, the back of the eye (forgot the technical term) needs a particular length of light for S.A.D.
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
cloud_9 wrote:

yeah, kind of.

Vit D needs to be absorbed through the skin unfiltered (no sunscreen).

for S.A.D., light should be filtered. A good light box for SAD will have filtered light. You wouldn't get a tan sitting in front of it Wink

angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
the reason why i ask is because i have read somewhere that the sunlight from 7 AM is healthy, but i am not sure about 8 am, cause sometimes i wake up and its already 8 but i still like to get some sun, especially when my anxiety is high and had a hard time sleeping. Although i try and avoid sun after 8...
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
angel06 wrote:
the reason why i ask is because i have read somewhere that the sunlight from 7 AM is healthy, but i am not sure about 8 am, cause sometimes i wake up and its already 8 but i still like to get some sun, especially when my anxiety is high and had a hard time sleeping. Although i try and avoid sun after 8...

I guess it depends on what you mean by "healthy".

If you're talking about the sun's effect on the skin, no time is "healthy". UVA/B rays are UVA/B rays - early morning, afternoon, cloudy day.

If you're talking about for mood, then I don't think there's much difference in 7am or 8am - at least from what I've read. I don't think it matters what time of the day - as long as you're getting bright light. And I believe it's still effective it you wear sunscreen.

You can do a search on S.A.D., &/or melatonin (not to be confused with melanin Wink )

PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Go to weather.com. Go to weather tools (on the top on the right) Enter your zip code and select "see weather related to skin protection". It is updated every half hour. You need to check it at 7 or 8 am. You will notice if you check it between 11-1 that your uv index is at its highest, generally peaking around 12:30. There is a pretty quick rise and decline in uv index so 7 or 8 may be pretty safe. I'm not sure what the uv index is at those hours but I imagine its 2 or 3 which is pretty low. You can get a tan in a 6 or 7 or actually lower if you're out long enough. But anyway, I find the weather channels tool very helpful for when I garden. I don't like to be out when its too high.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
I have had horrible insomnia for years, and I am soooo not a morning person, so I never get early morning sun. Do you think if I toughed it out a few days and woke up early and got some sun my sleeping patterns would be better? Has anyone had any luck with "sun treatment" for insomnia? Thanks!
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
(I guess it depends on what you mean by "healthy".) healthy for me is getting sun but not get any sun damaged but i guess there is no such thing as healthy sun exposure.

(Go to weather.com. Go to weather tools (on the top on the right) Enter your zip code and select "see weather related to skin protection". It is updated every half hour. You need to check it at 7 or 8 am). Ill check it out and see what i can find.

(I have had horrible insomnia for years, and I am soooo not a morning person, so I never get early morning sun. Do you think if I toughed it out a few days and woke up early and got some sun my sleeping patterns would be better? Has anyone had any luck with "sun treatment" for insomnia? Thanks! ) I wake up early because i have to cook breakfast for my husband, not that i want too,lol. I think getting some sun early in the morning is helping my insomia,unless if i am really stressed out which i am lately, but it has to be in combination with other things like exercise, developing a sleeping habit, managing your stress and among other things. But i think insomia for me is more of a mental thing, cause the more i am concious about falling asleep, the more elusive it becomes.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |