Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Is MAC Makeup bad for skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
monappetit
5% products discount

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
I know makeup isn't all too great for your skin in general... but I've heard many times that MAC makeup is the worst since it is stage makeup (heavy, pore-clogging, etc). I was wondering if people thought this was true because I've held out a very long time on their compact powders for this reason.
nyjlm
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I don't have any of their powders, so I can't speak to that. I do have a light foundation which I love, as well as several eye shadows, lip glasses, and their skin and eye primers.

hth!
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
I guess it all depends on the individual. I used to use Studiofix and found that I was breaking out more often and my skin was always itchy and red. I found it way to heavy and pore clogging. I didn't like using it at all but so many people rave about it including my sister and best friend. I for one am sticking to my organic lines as they haven't caused me any skin irritations.
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
I visited two cosmetic laser surgery places and they both said the same thing about MAC - very bad and causes breakouts. I have been using MAC concealer for years now, and wonder if has something to do with my breakouts, but honestly I can't find another concealer (admittedly, haven't really tried that hard) that is a good color, comes in a pot, etc.

AFter I came back from the cosmetic/laser surgery places, i thought I'd better try to find something other than MAC, just haven't yet. I have a feeling they may be right though.

Oh, I also use their blotting powder *sigh*.

Any better makeup recommendations?
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Not all MAC foundations are heavy-duty stage ones. They have a very large selection that run from tinted moisturisers to full coverage. The Studiofix powder used to cause breakouts for some. It was reformulated quite a few years back and some people who couldn't use the original formula, could use the new one. I loved their Face and Body Foundation which was sheer but still evened out my complexion in a very natural way - unfortunately it contained a small amount of sunscreen which I'm allergic to. C'est la vie Crying or Very sad

No makeup/skincare line works for everybody, it's always a case of YMMV.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:28 pm      Reply with quote
I have heard this about MAC many times. i personally stay away from their foundation and skin products, all i use from MAC is eyeshadow and eyeliner, i don't trust their other stuff.
svunt1
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
i get really bad breakouts from studiofix (the powder and the cream foundation).

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
I broke out really bad using Studiofix 2-3 years ago. I had perfect skin until then. =(

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:03 am      Reply with quote
It really is personal preference.
I love Studio Fix Powder and most of the MAC I have tried and use....which adds up to quite a few items Embarassed Wink
I would recomend going to a counter and playing around with their products first, then going away and see how they look in natural light.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:21 am      Reply with quote
I use an entire range of MAC without any breakouts. I also think it looks very natural, not "made up." Make-up is all about personal preference and everyone's skin reacts differently, so I'm surprised that folks at a laser center, presumably more "skin care aware" would wholesale dismiss a make-up line. MAC kiosks are very generous with applying make-up to get the right color/look/etc., so maybe give that a try before assuming anything.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:42 am      Reply with quote
The StudioFix fluid increased my breakouts but I can use the Select cover concealer. Everyone has different skin & reactions.
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
wildflower wrote:
I guess it all depends on the individual. I used to use Studiofix and found that I was breaking out more often and my skin was always itchy and red. I found it way to heavy and pore clogging. I didn't like using it at all but so many people rave about it including my sister and best friend. I for one am sticking to my organic lines as they haven't caused me any skin irritations.

Had the same exact experience. I only use my studiofix on very special occasions or emergencies now. It is very irritating and the powder also ends up settling into and emphasizing your wrinkles after awhile! Even wrinkles that you didn't have before. I really hate other MAC products in general, except for their pigments which are nice. In general, MAC = brilliant colors, harsh formulations, crude quality.

The best foundation I've ever used is by Smashbox. Doesn't dry your skin out, spreads out smoothly, doesn't need to be color matched. Looks natural and provides medium to heavy coverage. I don't need powder after this foundation, but I have not found one that provides heavy coverage while not making me break out.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:47 pm      Reply with quote
i've seen some people that adore mac foundations that look AMAZING in the thicker formulas like the studiofix..apparently my skin looks horrible with a lot of makeup, and i envy those that can wear those thicker foundations while looking natural without irritation. I tried their lightest kind (sheer something) with an SPF 15...it was too watery and it gave me red rashes especially when exposed to the sun. I can thank that foundation for the reason I have the only freckle on my face which is right by ear ( i trusted the SPF factor but it did not come through for me). The only thing you can do is maybe visit the store and have them test the foundation on you...leave it on your skin and see how it feels. The mac store by my house is very good with their service so hopefully your store will be too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:21 am      Reply with quote
I just looked at my old pictures when I was wearing Mac Studiofix and my complexion looks more photogenic. TOo bad it breaks me out!!

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:16 am      Reply with quote
I love Mac makeup. I have been using Studio Fix for many years now and my skin is fine. For the people who are breaking out ... do you get reagular facials? I go every six weeks for facials and my esthetician says my skin looks great! Usually she only has a few blackheads she extracts around the nose area. I think the secret is getting the facials and keeping up with a great skin care line.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:16 am      Reply with quote
I use MAC make-up and never get irriations or breakouts. But when I went to other make-up counters like Laura Mercier, NARS and Lancome the ladies at those counters told me that MAC make-up isnt the greatest for your skin due to the ingredients they use.
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have to say that I've been totally disappointed in MAC makeup, I've tried many different products and returned quite a few. One foundation I purchased (can't remember the name - it was a year or two ago now) had a pearl shimmer in it, and was quite greasy. It didn't cover anything, I didn't look like I had a glow and I ended up chucking it out (that was before I realised you can return these products.... Crying or Very sad ). It didn't break me out, and wasn't any worse for my skin than any other foundation apart from the fact it was ineffective in it's purpose.
erinR
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
I've used alot of MAC procucts in the past and I have been pretty pleased. The only product that made me breakout was the cream blush. The eyeshadow is great and the select civer concealer is great for undereyes.
chocoholic
5% products discount

Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
I have used studiotech for 10 years now and think its a great pdt esp after it "sets".
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:31 am      Reply with quote
The first type of makeup I used was from MAC. First it was their Satin Foundation - it made me HATE liquid foundatino altogether. I thought I found my answer with Studio Fix (sigh, little girls who don't know their skin), it was a lot more natural than the liquid but it really clogged my pores. I can't say that it made me break out but I can definitely say that it really did make my skin worse because it was just too heavy. The longest product I've used that's a "face" makeup from MAC is their concealer, the one in the pot (when I bought it none of those pen/liquid concealers existed yet). It covered SOOOO well but it always made me have blemishes around the blemish I wanted to cover - again way too heavy. Also it's a bit hard to layer without being too obvious as all my products were NC20, the concealer seemed slightly too light. It also MELTS during heat and if u try to touch up and fix it it'll cake.

I like makeup to look natural (still trying with all the concealer I use to hide my blemishes and their marks). But since then I've found much better makeup and I found that my skin likes Lancome the best. I haven't tried a lot of brands of makeup and I don't to as it's expensive and time consuming, and what I've stuck to works well. But I use Lancome makeup products that are only available in Asia.

I still use blush from MAC though because I like the colours. Once again like the Studio fix I can't exactly say it makes me break out but it is quite heavy (in terms of the pigments). I only use a little bit and I use my beauty powder more so than my blush. I wanted to try another brand of blushes but I hate how powder blushes always come with a big compact incl. a SMALL (imo completely USELESS) brush. Now they even have those that have a puff on it (diorshow) which if i use it on my cheeks will wipe off my concealer Confused That's why I've stuck with MAC, and the colours suit me (haha but I'm not too picky with colours since I only use 2 on a daily basis).

Other MAC makeup I've used: Cream Colour Base - use it as a base for eyeshadow and as an eyeshadow itself even though I bought it to use under my blush when I want a darker more dramatic look. However I figured it might clog my pores so I never use it for that purpose.
My fav product is fluidline although after I finish my jar (probably a few years later) I'll try Bobbi Brown's to try. Lipglass is GREAT, it looks great but a bit sticky, I hate how my hair sticks to it (but too lazy to find a replacement and don't want to waste what I haven't finished - which isn't much cuz I've only ever bought 1 and an Xmas set, and this was N yrs ago). I have a set of paints from an Xmas set I think 3 or 4 years ago, I only use those for a special night out but they're pretty good IMO as they always last quite long.
Lipsticks are okay, I don't find them anything special though. I used to use Mascara N until it got discontinued, I didn't like any of the new mascaras, they clump and are too thick IMO. However I tried Prep & Prime Lash and it works better than Cils Booster for me. MAC skincare makes me break out.

Apart from the face makeup that may be too heavy everything else I think is okay.

I feel like I just wrote a review on MAC Laughing
roadbee
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
I used to think MAC makeup was one of the more recommended lines but after trying the compact and liquid foundation, it's not really that special, for me anyway. Glad to have tried it though since people refer to MACs colour numbers as a comparison to other lines.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
love MAC. Never had a problem with it. I never knew so many people did though! I would recommend you to goto their store and try on a few things and see if you like the feel or react towards it.
misskatblack
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
My fav MAC foundation is the Select SPF 15 foundation as it is water based. I would go in and ask for a sample so you can see if it works for you.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Studiofix broke me out as well. I love MAC for their colors though...eyeshadows, lipsticks, blushes, eyeliners oh and their fake lashes!!!.
rbusquid

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
It's true it is bad for your skin. I've been using the powder foundation, and I've been breaking out badly. I had 3 giant zits on one side of my face. Then on the other side I had 2.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |