Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
How old is the oldest cosmetic product in your hoard?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:48 am      Reply with quote
I have been going through my makeup case and have been thinking it's time to toss some things out. I'm one of those, "but I may wear that again someday" kind of girl so I hate to throw anything away. I am constantly sniffing my makeup to see if it's still intact and if so, I just keep it. I think, well in fact I know I have some eyeshadows in there that are probably 6 yrs old if not older and the same goes with a couple of lipsticks I've probably only worn 5 times in their lifetime. So now that summer is approaching, I am thinking of throwing out all the crap I have and don't use and replacing it with more of my favourite organic lines. Just wondering if there are any other people out there that are as bad as me that hoard their makeup like chipmunks do nuts. Also what does everybody think the replacement date is on prodcuts like eyeshadows, blush, bronzers, lip liners, and lipsticks. (I use everything else up pretty quickly so these are the only ones left lingering).
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing You are so not alone. I actually recently found an old makeup bag I didn't even remember I had from many moves ago, somehow it didn't get unpacked or something and made the move, I swear its from when I first started wearing makeup, like 13 years old or something. It had a tube of Maybelline Magic Mascara in it. LoL. I tossed it all. I wish they still made Maybelline Magic Mascara!

5% products discount

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
for me...wow..i have almost all the simmery maybelline wet diamond lip glosses (the are unused and still sealed); i think i like to buy in the now moment;i look at some things and deep down i know i will not use them;cannot throw them out as they are in good condition and various shadows...lets not even speak about mascaras Laughing
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
I tend to hoard lipsticks the most; I have some that are probably two years old. Really, though, I tend to toss my makeup if it seems like I've had it too long, or if I just don't use it. It's an excellent excuse to buy more stuff!! "Well, I threw away a lipgloss the other day-- think I'll buy two new ones!"

I've read somewhere about how long you should keep stuff. Face makeup-- (blush, foundation, etc) one year of being used, eye shadow, eyeliner, etc -- six months ( this is the one I have trouble with as I never use up an eye shadow), mascara-- three months (this is one I stick too since I wear contacts and don't want to risk an eye infection), lip products-- one year.

Hey, maybe someone has some input on this since this seems like the right topic-- how about mineral makeup? I saw Leslie Blodgett on QVC once and she exclaimed, "Let's face it, it's ground up rocks [referring to her mineral products]! It'll never go bad." Is she right, or just trying to get us to buy tons of her stuff thinking it'll last a millenia?
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
....(whisper)I have stuff that's over 30 years old, do ya think I should pitch it?... Laughing
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:
....(whisper)I have stuff that's over 30 years old, do ya think I should pitch it?... Laughing

wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:

GASP!!!! Shock Ok I thought I was bad with the 6 year thing. LOL Yeah, I think it's safe to throw it out after, ooh let's say, 10 years. LOL Wink
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
My oldest stuff is probably a year or two ... I think it's some MAC eyeshadows. They still have a nice consistency though so I think they're still OK to use. My problem is I buy WAY to much ... I'm always tempted by the latest ... so I start getting a huge collection. Every 6 months or so though, I go through things and if there are some things I know I won't want to use again, I'll give them to my sisters if they want or chuck 'em. I do stick with the 3 month rule for mascara though.

I think they should develop a makeup line with smaller sizes so you can try different things and maybe have a chance at actually finishing them. I can't remember the last time I actually finished something! Sad
Emma_Jane
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have Aveda eye shadow that is 4 or 5 years old (and I still use it - that's probably bad, huh?)
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
I've got a Chanel eyeshadow palette that's ... umm, 23 or 24 years old? It still looks good and no funky smells but I don't think I'll be using it. Colors still look pretty 'tho Laughing
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I've got an eyeshadow that's over 30 years old! It was my first high end make-up purchase. (Must be keeping it for sentimental reasons Embarassed )
I have a whole drawer full of old eyeshadows & blushes that I've never been able to throw out, so I keep them down in my hobbyroom & use them as pastels in my artwork.
This past year I've gotten really good about pitching anything that is more than 6-12 months old. Gives me an excellent reason to go shopping! Laughing
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
mine the oldest would be 4 years old
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:45 am      Reply with quote
I have some perfume over 15 years old!!!

5% products discount

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Probably about 12 years old... a lot of skincare stuff I have are expired a couple of years, but I don't believe in expiration dates. I keep some stuff in the fridge.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed I didn't even know the skincare products had expiration dates. Guess I'll be going through my skincare/makeup drawer tomorrow to see. I know I have stuff from the move we made to this house some 15 yrs ago Sad I should have known better!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
My mum has a bunch of no-name foundation/powder compacts/eyeshadows/lipsticks etcetc from when she was in her 20's... and that was about 30 years ago...

I remember playing with all that stuff about 5 years ago.. EWW Neutral
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Mine are probably 6-8 years old. I keep them just in case I'll need the containers.

Unfortunately I recently was tempted to use an old eyeshadow and I now have conjuctivitis which started with lashess falling out.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
kls wrote:
I've got an eyeshadow that's over 30 years old! It was my first high end make-up purchase. (Must be keeping it for sentimental reasons Embarassed )
I have a whole drawer full of old eyeshadows & blushes that I've never been able to throw out, so I keep them down in my hobbyroom & use them as pastels in my artwork.
This past year I've gotten really good about pitching anything that is more than 6-12 months old. Gives me an excellent reason to go shopping! Laughing

I'm dying to know what brand the 30 year old eyeshadow is!! Smile Also, which shade. I love old makeup. The bottles and compacts are neat and it's interesting to see the shades from decades ago. Smile.
tisa
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:27 am      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:

Laughing whatever you have left that is 30 years old is an antique - this could turn your makeup collection into a future museum show - in all seriousness - a local museum about lifestyles from the 30's thru to the 80's loves receiving "artifacts" that the can display and there are collectors who look for certain brands for their collection.
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Lol... I have a set of eyeshadows ( theres about 30 in a palette) made by Geminesse ( which were the "upper" side of Max Factor in the 70s) which I bought in 1978...hehe when I was 18. It is still in marvellous condition... powder eyeshadows of course. I dont use them .... the colours are very bright in general... I dont know why I hang on to it.
I chucked perfumes from a similar era only a year or 2 back... not that I was still using them, I am just a terrible hoarder and cant bear to part with anything ( even if I havent seen it for yearssssssss)...

5% products discount

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
I have a Estee Lauder blue eye pencil that I got in 1977 (29yrs) It's still good as new too!
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
I used to buy a lot of lipsticks and added up to more than 40 tubes. The oldest batch would be hmm ... about 12 years old. Always struggling on whether to keep them or trash them...hehe
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have some MAC pigments from yeeeeeears ago. I collect them like some people collect stuffed animals and china plates Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!
Well I can beat you but I hasten to say that I 'inherited' them from my Grandmothers mother (who died in the 60's)!!LOL! I have a Borjouis blusher (prettymuch empty but in a cardboard pot with a little leather /suede applicator) and a Max Factor mascara (again empty)which is in a beautiful brass tube - it doesn't have a brush it has what looks like a screw thread! I also had a orangey lipstick by MF but this went really nasty so it had to go out... Sad I got them along with some scary looking hair tongs that she used to heat on the hearth of the open fireplace :shock:and some 'finger curl' clips which are metal - you would press the hair between your fingers then use the clip to hold it till it was set - I have played with these as a child - gave me lovely Betty Grable type hair LOL!! . I have kept them as they are so beautiful and for sentimental reasons.I am fascinated by the beauty tricks our mothers and grandmothers used.

Aww now I really am missing my Grandma... Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
I use MD formulation's cleanser and facial lotion 10 years already, it is still very good, I cant find anything to replace that. Rolling Eyes
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |