Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

anti sun girl with pro-sun boyfriend..what to do?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
It's summer my boyfriend is a professional drifter (form of a car sport)..he has drift events he travels too and always wants me to come. This involves me spending ALL day on bleachers outside in the blazing sun watching him. I hate how the sun feels on my skin, i literally turn red. Not only this but it there are many other outdoor events my boyfriend wants me to attend and I feel like a huge letdown because I can't remember the last time i spent the Whole entire day in the sun (minus a day at the park with trees at least shading). His friend is having this 3 day party event and it's up north and outside for the entire time. His skin tans and his friends all don't suffer with their skin. Even if i could tan, i enjoy my skin as it is. What can I do? Has anyone else had a dilemma like this?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
As much as you hate the sun, do try and ook on the bright side! Being outdoors can be lovely and healthy as well, in the air and sunshine and nature (if your careful with suncare)! I know it's hard all day for three days, but it means you just need take precautions - like wear a big beautiful hat, and always try and find a shaded area - there is bound to be one. Wear a light long sleeved shirt and suncream under it if it akes you feel better. Drink lots of water and reapply your sunscreen regularly.

It can be done, and if it's important to you bf and therefor important to you, then you'll manage and plan. If it's more important to you to not be outside then tell him it's not your thing and it's something he can enjoy on hi own - lots of couples have different and seperate pursuits and that can make things interesting too - up to you. Very Happy
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
As for the bleacher events, could you bring one of those stadium chairs, and maybe attach an umbrella to act as sort of a canopy? Maybe I'm crazy (very possible), but it seems like they make those chairs with sun umbrelllas on them...

Do you have a wide brimmed hat? Cool That's all I really think of besides the obvious-- spf 70!
tickletina
5% products discount

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
As a very sun sensitive gal, I carry around these a portable umbrella with me in my purse so I can pop them out when I walk around in intense sun. It works great!
cloe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
If this was my dilemma I would wear all white. Maybe a long white skirt with a light weight long sleeve blouse, worn open with a tank top underneath or white pants and a light weight long sleeve T-shirt. I'd wear lots of sunblock on my hands (and feet if I wore sandals or flip flops).

Wearing white keeps you cool and deflects the sun, and you won't look out of place wearing it if you're covered from head to toe because it's a great summer color.

I would also wear a nice hat.

HTH Very Happy
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
I wish I had enough white clothes to consider doing that. I don't think i own any white clothes:/ I wear a lot of black unfortunately and slowly i am breaking this happen and becoming more comfortable with colors.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Actually I heard baby blue is the most light reflective color. Although white usually looks better.

I would suggest UV protective clothing but I haven't found any yet that has any attractive styles. It all looks like they cater to older conservative people. However I would suggest at least a UV hat, they also have UV umbrellas.

I hate being out in the sun all day too. Although I do not burn easily and tan easily, I am sensitive to the sun. It gives me headaches, tension headaches, sometimes neasuea, and hurts my eyes too. Dark sunglasses are a must for me. I'm just sensitive to the weather period, cold weather, wind, too much sun etc. Here are some links for the hats and umbrellas.

http://www.sunprecautions.com

http://www.sungrubbies.com

http://www.coolibar.com

http://www.solartex.com
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
my DH loves the outdoor. He likes hiking, biking, etc. Me.... not so much. I hate the sun, I hate being sweaty..... Not to mention mosquitoes....
There were times when he wanted me to do these outdoor activities with him, but I refused. I went with him a couple of times, but I kept complaining about everything now I think he is happier doing those activities without me.
I dont think you should feel obligated to join him just because he wants to. He should respect your will. Should you feel obligate to join him, make sure you wear sunscreen, and wear one of those big hats (REI sells them). Some of these hats also have neck covers.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Well, not ONLY do I burn easily and have a family history or skin cancer (ugh), but I'm also very sensitive to the sun--- gives me headaches, etc. So, being outdoors for an extended period of time is very difficult for me. When I absolute have to be outside (trips to amusement parks, etc), I will not be without my parasol or sun umbrella. They are a godsend! So, whether or not you end up going to this 3 day outdoor bacchanalia your bf has cooked up, I think a sun umbrella or parasol would be a GREAT investment for you. Ditto for hats, big sunglasses, and of course, long black sun gloves (You're a little gothy, purple turtle, so I know you can rock those black sun gloves Wink ) I wear all of the above when I get dragged outside, but the parasol is the most key.

Like roadtonowhere's husband, my husband figured out early on that I don't really mix with outdoor activities. Also like roadtonowhere, I hate the sun, I hate sweating, I hate mosquitoes, UGH!!! So, he seldom if ever brings up doing things in the outdoors. Depending on how far you're willing to go outside of your comfort zone, your bf may just have to figure out that you aren't the outdoor party kind of gal...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:52 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle your boyfriend is a professional drifter, awesome! My husband is right now tuning his car so that he can start drifting. Just curious, what kind of car does he drift? And what series is he drifting in? Do you ever get to go in the car with him when he practices drifting?

Now back to the topic. My husband is very into motorsports. He currently autocrosses, does track days and is going to be getting into time attacks and drifting. Like you I am also pale and do not like spending all day in the sun. I go to just about all of my husbands events. The majority of the time I dread going. I think about the heat, the sun, getting up early, etc.... So I slather on sunscreen, wear a hat, put on my sunglasses and end up going in the end. BTW everyone has given great advice. I plan on buying an umbrella myself and try to seek out shade while at the events. But anyway back to motorsports events... There have been very few times when I have gone to these things with my husband that I wish I had stayed home. I actually do enjoy watching these things and I particularly enjoy watching my husband do something that he loves and gets such joy out of! I think that your boyfriend probably gets great joy out of what he does and wants to share that with you. Maybe he wants to show off a bit too, nothing wrong with that! I would say follow the advice everyone has given here and give it a try. You might just find that you really are having a good time at his drift events. If you end up totally hating it then in the future maybe you could compromise and only go to events that are very important to him or spend only part of the day at his events.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
purpleturtle your boyfriend is a professional drifter, awesome! My husband is right now tuning his car so that he can start drifting. Just curious, what kind of car does he drift? And what series is he drifting in? Do you ever get to go in the car with him when he practices drifting?

Now back to the topic. My husband is very into motorsports. He currently autocrosses, does track days and is going to be getting into time attacks and drifting. Like you I am also pale and do not like spending all day in the sun. I go to just about all of my husbands events. The majority of the time I dread going. I think about the heat, the sun, getting up early, etc.... So I slather on sunscreen, wear a hat, put on my sunglasses and end up going in the end. BTW everyone has given great advice. I plan on buying an umbrella myself and try to seek out shade while at the events. But anyway back to motorsports events... There have been very few times when I have gone to these things with my husband that I wish I had stayed home. I actually do enjoy watching these things and I particularly enjoy watching my husband do something that he loves and gets such joy out of! I think that your boyfriend probably gets great joy out of what he does and wants to share that with you. Maybe he wants to show off a bit too, nothing wrong with that! I would say follow the advice everyone has given here and give it a try. You might just find that you really are having a good time at his drift events. If you end up totally hating it then in the future maybe you could compromise and only go to events that are very important to him or spend only part of the day at his events.

Well in terms of professional, he is considered the best in michigan. That doesn't say much, but he definitely knows Every single aspect of drifting. To be an actual professional that gets sponsors, it takes lots of money (which he does not have)..he is close friends with the top drifters in the country and he is quickly working his way up the ladder through spread of word. I could link a video of him drifting..it's kind of sexy watching him do something he enjoys..hehe. But anyways, he drives a nissan 240sx ..i think his motor is an S14 or something....and i believe it's a '91 ( i know very little about this stuff hehe). He's joining a team in pennsylvania because the one he's in here in michigan is horrible (it's called project aspec). He dreads that they are making this tokyo drift movie because he knows it's going to go mainstream now, but mostly because he already has seen many flaws in the previews alone. oh well.

I guess the conclusion with the sun thing is I am not fond of the sun, but in cases where it's important, i'm willing to slap on more sunscreen than i'd like and wear a big thick sunhat. Sure people will giggle at me and the drift guys' girlfriends might think i'm a bit weird, but my boyfriend being happy i'm there is all that counts.Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
You go girl!!!! Laughing
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:08 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
Well in terms of professional, he is considered the best in michigan. That doesn't say much, but he definitely knows Every single aspect of drifting. To be an actual professional that gets sponsors, it takes lots of money (which he does not have)..he is close friends with the top drifters in the country and he is quickly working his way up the ladder through spread of word. I could link a video of him drifting..it's kind of sexy watching him do something he enjoys..hehe.

I know what you mean about the spending money to get sponsered. My husband is trying to get sponsered right now for time attacks and track stuff. Please do put a link to the video. When I told my husband about your post he was all like what does he drive, etc., etc. so I am sure he would want to see the video too.

Quote:
I guess the conclusion with the sun thing is I am not fond of the sun, but in cases where it's important, i'm willing to slap on more sunscreen than i'd like and wear a big thick sunhat. Sure people will giggle at me and the drift guys' girlfriends might think i'm a bit weird, but my boyfriend being happy i'm there is all that counts.Smile

Totally agree with this!!! Who cares what other people think. Although in all honesty most of the people that I have met that are involved in motorsports are really nice.
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:31 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:

Hello:) Just a thought on a positive note, you might find another that feels the same way you do, there's just so much out now about sun damage. "Chin up" and bring an extra umbrella, ya never know!

Allie Grace
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Purpleturtle,

I feel for you. I'm medically photosensitive to the sun and I've been using sunscreen for over 10yrs. I drive a long distance to work. Last year, I began to notice fine lines all over the left side of my face. I, personally, cannot be with a guy whose loves the outdoors (which is most of them). Luckily, my bf isn't real outdoorsy. Anyhow, I'm personally, petrified of causing more lines . So, I reapply sunscreen before I leave. I've tinted my windows.I'm not trying to scare you, but I am trying to give you my own perspective. Everyone has given you great advice ex. umbrella, sunprotective clothing, reapplying sunscreen, etc.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
[quote="skincarefreak"]Purpleturtle,

I feel for you. I'm medically photosensitive to the sun and I've been using sunscreen for over 10yrs. I drive a long distance to work. Last year, I began to notice fine lines all over the left side of my face. I, personally, cannot be with a guy whose loves the outdoors (which is most of them). Luckily, my bf isn't real outdoorsy. Anyhow, I'm personally, petrified of causing more lines . So, I reapply sunscreen before I leave. I've tinted my windows.I'm not trying to scare you, but I am trying to give you my own perspective. Everyone has given you great advice ex. umbrella, sunprotective

Right on with tinting the windows:) I got mine tinted about a month or so ago and my boyfriend thinks its cool for the look, while i'm just happy because of the UV protection. And might I add it keeps A LOT of the summer heat out. So comfortable and nice knowing if my sunscreen is wearing off I at least have the windows to provide me some protection! Your perspective is not scary at all..I have a sister 10 years older than me and she has given me the same tips because she has experienced it all with the sun so now I get to know what to do and what Not to do. hehe.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
quote]

I know what you mean about the spending money to get sponsered. My husband is trying to get sponsered right now for time attacks and track stuff. Please do put a link to the video. When I told my husband about your post he was all like what does he drive, etc., etc. so I am sure he would want to see the video too.

Let's see if this works...
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=800968511&n=2

he drives the army green car. As for the guy pouring water on him, thats "jwoo". He's a bit strange of a guy...but yeah that was an event here in Michigan where it wasn't based on scores.

here's a picture of the boy:

He does resemble that of a 50's style greaser most of the type. ha.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:51 am      Reply with quote
If you don't like the sun, you shouldn't have to deal with it. Why bother if you think about all the precautions you'd have to take: extra sunscreen, big hat, light reflective clothes, big glasses, umbrella (might look ridiculous in your situation). My boyfriend loves the beach and this is a bad time for me since it's summer. Cool but just as we love spending time together, we respect each other's differences too...he goes to the beach while i go to the mall. I guess that's a happy medium. Good luck!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
purpleturtle thanks for the link to the video. Your boyfriend seems to be pretty good! BTW I was thinking 50s style greaser as soon as I saw the picture.

Who knows if my husband really gets into the drifting thing maybe we will run into each other at an event. We would both be trying to avoid the sun of course. Wink
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Dump him....it will never work. It's worse than having different religions.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
My son works part time for a car shop here in Va called Drift Teck Motor Sports and that's what they do is customize cars for drifting. He also has a 91 Nissan 240sx. Going to college in the fall to major in computer car design.
debbied
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
purpleturtle...i know i'm going to be lambasted Bad Grin BUT, life is too short not to try it, IF you care about this fellow. I CAN tell you this, some of the gals may stay out the whole time in the sun, but the guys are going to be so busy they probably won't miss you at all when you go shopping! Razz So do both, it's ALL good!
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
donnababe wrote:
Dump him....it will never work. It's worse than having different religions.

well i'm 21 and have known him since I was 15...we've been together for 3 1/2 years and hes extremely tolerant of my quirkiness with the sun..so i don't think i'd take as far of measures as to dump him. He accepts i dont go to some events, he just wants to see me in the bleachers waving like a little dork because he likes to know i support him.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
red head wrote:
My son works part time for a car shop here in Va called Drift Teck Motor Sports and that's what they do is customize cars for drifting. He also has a 91 Nissan 240sx. Going to college in the fall to major in computer car design.

really? My boyfriend might very well know him. He talks to so many people across the country as well as other countries. I can honestly say if he stays in a state he always has a place to stay because he makes good connections with people through selling and just talking and sharing car stories. He belongs to a car forum..i forgot the name of it through:/ Congradulations on your son's success.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:
purpleturtle thanks for the link to the video. Your boyfriend seems to be pretty good! BTW I was thinking 50s style greaser as soon as I saw the picture.

Who knows if my husband really gets into the drifting thing maybe we will run into each other at an event. We would both be trying to avoid the sun of course. Wink

It's funny you mention that because it wouldn't be unlikely. There are annual events in pennsylvania among other states that many drifters attend. I told my boyfriend that you were asking about drifting information due to your husband taking interest in the sport and he was like "maybe i know him." Does he belong to any car forums? that's a good way to get into the different car sports and make ties..but he seems like he's been into this stuff for years so he probably knows that.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:09 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |