Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Need suggestions on skincare regime for mom
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
My mom has never had a skincare routine. As far back as I can remember she has only used soap & that's it.(BTW, if anyone can tell me specifically why Dove soap should NOT be used, please let me know & I'll pass that on to her!). All her life she has always looked after others before herself. The past several years she's been taking care of my dad who has been quite ill, so that leaves very little time to take care of herself.
I would like to send a gift packet for of simple to use, yet hopefully, somewhat effective products for her upcoming birthday.
She would need a very simple routine & products that could be purchased at a drugstore, Walmart, etc.
Her profile would be: mid 70's, very wrinkled, sensitive, dry, and lives in hot/humid climate.
Since she uses nothing on her face, I'm hoping that she may see some results from an anti-aging product that plumps up the skin.
If you think that there's no inexpensive products that might help, I do have some Janson Beckett skin prep, CE & ADCE I could send (but not tell her the price...she'd faint!) Shock
Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated! Smile
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hi kls,

Has your Mom indicated that she would like to change her current skin care routine?

I can understand that you want to pamper your Mom ... but I also understand that a woman of her age might not view a whole new skin care routine as a form of "pampering".

Your mother sounds a little like mine [only mine is 89] ... and my mother just doesn't consider "skin care" to be in the arena of "pampering". Laughing When I gave my Mom a skin cream that I thought she'd like, she never did use it. Crying or Very sad

Unless your Mom has bemoaned her skin's condition, I suspect that she might not take kindly to a change in routine. Indeed, she might not even use the products! Confused

When I want to pamper my mother I take her to someplace for afternoon tea ... someplace preferrably with rich pastries/tea cakes. That is what my Mom considers being pampered!

I found that my mother is very set in her ways ... and likes to do things the way she always has. Mom isn't upset about her wrinkles ... or her age spots ... and so doesn't see a need to "correct" something that she doesn't view as a flaw. My mother's skin is very thin as well ... but this comes with age, I think.

I'm just bouncing this off you ... I'd hate to see you waste your money on something that your Mom might view as "silly" or "unnecessary".

If, however, your Mom has said that she wishes she had something that would help her skin ... then go for it! Laughing

Just my two cents

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
this sounds almost exactly like my mom, I asked this here also. My mom's mid sixties, uses dial antibacterial soap.......yikes. She has not been taking care of herself for various reasons.

What I ended up with for her was "cellular skin rx". This is something I started with a few weeks ago myself and have been really really happy with. The reason I decided to have my mom use it too, is because it's gentle, yet it works immediately, the C serum is warm and feels wonderful right off, all products are easy to use. I started with the sample kit for $20 and will add more products as she gets a routine down. I've already added an under eye serum.

Right away I started her with some cetaphil gentle cleanser, and a toner, and some cotton pads. I was afraid I might overwhelm her, but within the first two days she already had people commenting on her "glow", which made a difference right away in her self esteem. She told me yesterday she just really really needed this, but did'nt realize it:) She feels revived and pretty, and I am a good girl LOL

Anyways, the routine is simple, the products work and are gentle, and for twenty bucks as a trial the price is right. That includes a C serum, anti aging serum, and biolipid repair cream. I am purchasing full size products for her as we go.

https://www.cellularskinrx.com

These are'nt prettily packaged, no fancy stuff, so if you think that is something that would appeal to her and get her to be inspired to use a product, don't go here LOL.

what else...My only problem was I had to print out the directions and the order to apply the products on skin off the computer. They don't come with the order. On the other hand the customer service is fantastic and they always include free samples.

Hope this helps!

Allie Grace
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
very good point Mary! I should add that I asked my mom FIRST if she would like some of what I was using- becasue I loved the product and thought she might too. And I also had her promise to stop with the dial soap. AND I had her promise she would give the products a good go if I bought them for her.

I am bossy yep, and she is worse.

Allie Grace
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies!
My mom would really like to improve the look of her skin (she's very embarressed about her wrinkles), but she has no knowledge of what might help. She's receptive to trying new products, but the routine would have to be very simple as not to get her all confused.
I just think that the nicest gift I could give her is that some months down the road someone will give her a compliment on how nice her skin is looking. I know that it would be such a boost to her self-esteem.
Unfortunately, we live so far apart I can't just take her out for a special afternoon, but I do phone several times a week for our "special chats." She's like my best friend, & I'd really like to do something special "just for her".
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I started my mom with a Gentle cleanser, Tretinoin and sunblock (which I bug her to wear). I also gave her CSRX Vitamin C.

She got encouraged when my dad mentioned that her skin is looking better (getting dewy). She's quite oily. But now she looks dewy. Smile

I also gave her my DMAE (Skin Eternal) coz I couldn't stand the smell, but it's working nicely for her Smile

Mom's routine now:
am:
Derm's Cleanser
KOSE Toner
CSRX Vitamin C
Sunblock

pm:
Derm's Cleanser
KOSE Toner
DMAE
Tretinoin
Kose Moisturizer

After 1 month, I see a mild improvement. She's lazy abt the sunblock but I always bug her. I tell her to wear even when she's just in the house (our house is sooo sunny, lots of windows = UVA)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I'm with Mary. Bad move unless she asks.
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I just phoned my mom & asked her if she would like some advice on what products to use. The answer was a definate "YES", but it would have to be simple & not expensive. (She seemed quite overwhelmed by the idea that I'm getting suggestions on the internet!)
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

I know that you asked for something local and not on the internet, however if you mother has access to the Home Shopping Network or America's Stores in the US or the one in CA this may be easy enough for her... and she could actually pick a convenient show time (US ones coming up in July) and watch how easy it is to use the products.

I would suggest Ice Elements " Age Defy Daily Defense" Kit which includes a cleanser, Anti-Aging Serum, moisturizer and a mask.

This is a special that will be available in July for $29.99 for all full sized product. The products are excellent, show results very quickly and most importantly are very easy to use.

They have a try me kit that is available not for $20 if you want to get started right away... and if your mother wants she can actually call Shelly (her and Frankie are the owners of the company) and speak with her directly. The number is on the website www.iceelements.com ... I believe it is a Florida number. or you could go to the message board and speak with Shelly on there openly or privately through PM on the board.

I have been very impressed with the products that I have tried so far with Ice Elements and the routine can be very basic and simple with the cleanser, serum, moisturizer (which has an SPF of 15 - not broad spectrum) and mask or can be expanded later to address other specific problems for those that wish to add more product.

I also know that for myself if I am going to try something new to me to be able to actually see someone using it makes me feel more confident in being able to do it myself. Some who have been new to using skin care have actually taped a show just in case they wanted to refer to it...

If you want me to copy and paste the last newsletter with the specials and show times in this thread, let me know and I will be happy to pull it up for you.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you are able to find something that suits her well.

Take care.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Bosoxy wrote:

If you want me to copy and paste the last newsletter with the specials and show times in this thread, let me know and I will be happy to pull it up for you.

Bosoxy- Thank you very much for the suggestion. And yes, please post the newsletter for me. I'm going to check out their website (for her & ME!) so I have a better insight on their skincare line.

Excellent idea you have about watching a program on how to use specific products! That's exactly what my mom needs because she gets confused about how & when to apply them. Thank you again, this sounds perfect! Very Happy
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Great!

I am glad that you like the idea about watching the show. Very Happy

I am sure that you will find Shelly most helpful with any questions that you have... She is just so darn nice!!!

The following is the newsletter:

Quote:
Hello Friends,

We are so excited to hear from the growing number of Happy Ice Elements customers who are now considered our "Ice Princes and "Ice Princesses." Welcome!

We are really looking forward to our next HSN visit in July. We will be offering something for everyone. We have been given an opportunity to offer you additional kits and specials so I wanted to pass the information along to you right away.

NEW SPECIALS:

$10.00 Off the Anniversary Kit (Birthday Kit). Special Price- $59.95

$10.00 Off the Radiance Duo - Special Price $29.95

Anti-Aging Serum double bonus - Special 2 oz for the price of 1oz - $29.95

NEW KITS:

"Experience Ice Elements Top Picks” Kit - 5 piece kit includes: our new Revitalizing Cleanser, Anti-Aging Serum, Moisturizer, Eye Cream and 2 Minute Miracle Exfoliating Gel. Choices in both normal to dry and normal to oily. $19.95

NEW - “Age Defy Daily Defense” Kit - Full size new Revitalizing Cleanser, Full size Anti-Aging Serum, Full size Moisturizer and a 1/2 oz Blueberry Fusion Mask. Choices are both normal to dry and normal to oily. $29.95

NEW - EYESsentials Duo - with auto ship option - Full size Rejuvenate Eye Cream and Full size IlluminEYES Serum. $29.95

NEW-Blueberry Fusion Anti-Oxidant Firming Mask - 2 oz $19.95

Our show dates and times are as follows (please stay tuned for the entire hour as we do not know if we are the top or bottom of the hour):

*All show times are Eastern Standard Time
July 5/HSN
7:00 am
7:00 pm

July 5/America's Store
10:00 am
10:00 pm

July 6/HSN
Midnight
Noon
6:00 pm
10:00 pm

July 6/America's Store
9:00 am
4:00 pm

As always, we "thank you" for your support. It is so appreciated if you are able to purchase during our on air presentations.

FAQ

Q- What is the purpose of the Blueberry Fusion Mask?

A- The Blueberry mask was initially developed as a firming and anti-oxidant mask. I have made it in the consistency of a serum so you will experience greater and faster penetration. As we all know, blueberries are considered to have the hightest level of natural anti-oxidants of any fruit. The natural marine extracts in the mask are designed to firm the skin and our Antarcticine addresses lost elasticity. However, much to my surprise, our customers are reporting benefits which go way beyond firming and protection.

Our customers are reporting much brighter skin which is from the natural fruit acids in the blueberries and blackberries. They are also noticing a greater refinement in the pore size and a balancing of their skin. Dry skin customers have reported feeling an increase in the hydration of their skin and our combination and oily customers are noticing less oil in the T-zone-all day long. This is great news.

Experience Life with Ice Elements!

Please make sure you sign up on our message board atwww.iceelements.com

Thank you,

Shelly and Frankie

Oh, and on the front page of the site you can sign up for a newletter, if you would like, so you are up to date on all of the latest.

Let me know how you make out!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
You could get a jar of Alpha Hydrox at Walgreens for $10-12. Walgreen's also makes their own brand for even less. Alpha Hydrox is a brand of AHA which is proven to be one of the best products for the face/hands. It would sluff off the old skin and help with sundamage and help plump up the lines and make the skin more....."glowy". It's kind of a "Retin-A Lite" Laughing She can use this in the AM under sunscreen. You really must use a s/s when you use an AHA.

The other thing at your local drug store is Spenco Second Skin Quick Heal. This is sold in the band aid aisle for about $9. It is a clear gel sold as a gel band aid. It has a high amount of HA in it and we know HA is one of, if not "the", best moisturizer. You may have to ask for it.

At night after washing her face and getting it really wet she should just pat it dry. Put a dab of Spenco on her hand with a dab of Vaseline, which she probably already has. Take her index finger and mush it together, it will turn white. Put it on her face and rub the excess into her hands. Go to bed with this on. If not the first day, she will notice within 2-3 days the softness of her skin. This is the best moisturizer bar none.

Good luck to your mother!
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy- I looked into the Ice Elements site today. I think the Age Defy Daily Defense kit would be great for her to try, what do you think?
I'll get her to watch one of their programs first & see if she is receptive to using their line. Although I was hoping to find products she could find locally, I am more than willing to purchase these & have them sent to her, if this is something she wants to try. (I found an eczema cream for her online and have it sent to her. She just loves it, so I make sure she never runs out. Because I found such a good product for that condition, I think she has more confidence in my recommendations now!)
I think she would be comfortable using a cleanser, serum & moisturizer, but the mask is probably too much right now (maybe later if she gets results from the other products).

Donnababe- I like your idea of Alph Hydrox (especially the price), but as you pointed out, sunscreen is a must. I'm not sure if she would be up to that, however she always wears a hat when outdoors. (I need to go back into Ice Elements & look more closely at their ingredients. If it has AHA's, I guess I should be concerned about the use of sunscreen too).
The Spenco Second Skin Quick Heal sounds excellent! I would like to try this first on myself before asking her to try it. Do you know if it's available in Canada?
Good point too- "pat dry face". As I recall, she tends to rub, not pat. That's why I'm thinking watching a program or video would do wonders for her technique!

Thank you again for the replies & recs!
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
If you think that there's no inexpensive products that might help, I do have some Janson Beckett skin prep, CE & ADCE I could send (but not tell her the price...she'd faint!)
Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

As (most likely) the oldest member of the forum I would let you Mother try your JB products. They certainly firmed my mature skin (61). Mabsy mother also had excellent results from ADCE and Prep. I find the Prep and Alpha Derma extremely simple to use. For the past week I have been using their new night cream. Let me say it is FABULOUS. The night cream does not have Argireline in it. Upon application there is an immediate firming of the facial contours. She could also use this around the eyes. I was not going to purchase the new night cream as I thought I would give my skin a change after two years. A month or so ago I purchased the whole Decleor line for mature skin. Decleor is too heavy for me during the summer months. ADCE has greater antiaging qualities IMO. JB is now having a special on the launch of their new night cream for $79.00 for 4 oz. (Reg. $99.00). One half pump is enough for the whole face and neck.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
It is an Italian company, and I have no idea the countries they service. You used to be able to find it on the internet. You could google it.

No matter what moisturizer she uses, she should always just pat dry her face before putting on moisturizer. Moisturizer works best on slightly damp skin.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
kls wrote:
Bosoxy- I looked into the Ice Elements site today. I think the Age Defy Daily Defense kit would be great for her to try, what do you think?

Yes, that kit would be great for her. She does not have to use the mask right away if she does not want to, but it is a simple mask to use so it should not intimidate her at all.

There are no AHAs in this kit so no need to worry about that... Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Winnie- Thanks for the reply! I've read so many of your postings about the great success you've had with the JB line.
I used it for 7 months, but unfortunately never saw any results. I was really hoping it would work for me.
Is there a cleanser & toner you would reccommend?
Niha
5% products discount

Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:53 am      Reply with quote
for gifting mom these oil diffuser are very helpful for increasing the home interior and it increases the happy mode ..try with neroma oil diffuser
Organicskincare55
5% products discount

Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:40 am      Reply with quote
kls wrote:
My mom has never had a skincare routine. As far back as I can remember she has only used soap & that's it.(BTW, if anyone can tell me specifically why Dove soap should NOT be used, please let me know & I'll pass that on to her!). All her life she has always looked after others before herself. The past several years she's been taking care of my dad who has been quite ill, so that leaves very little time to take care of herself.
I would like to send a gift packet for of simple to use, yet hopefully, somewhat effective products for her upcoming birthday.
She would need a very simple routine & products that could be purchased at a drugstore, Walmart, etc.
Her profile would be: mid 70's, very wrinkled, sensitive, dry, and lives in hot/humid climate.
Since she uses nothing on her face, I'm hoping that she may see some results from an anti-aging product that plumps up the skin.
If you think that there's no inexpensive products that might help, I do have some Janson Beckett skin prep, CE & ADCE I could send (but not tell her the price...she'd faint!) Shock
Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated! Smile

It sounds like your mom is an incredible human being.

I'd suggest she try out the CTM method (Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize) as someone new to the skincare scene.

From there, she'll probably be very happy to start experimenting with newer products.
Prettycurls

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Harsh soaps should not be used on the face, like Dove, and anti bacterial bar soaps because they are not formulated for the face. They often dry out the skin and mess up the natural lipid barrier of the skin and are not PH balance. This could cause skin irritation, dryness and skin sensitivity over time.

A good facial cleanser formulated for ones skin type should be used, followed with a balancing mist, antioxidant, eye cream and sun protection of SPF 25 at least. At night you would use a night cream in place of sun protection and if you want to do add a treatment you can use something that has retinol in it for anti aging if one is interested.
PatKyle
5% products discount

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
+1 for CTM method, great advice
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |