Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Skin Care Advice for Humid Conditions
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
What are some good ideas for skin care/makeup in humid conditions? I live in Colorado where it can get VERY hot but the air is usually bone dry. I've gotten my skin care routine down to a science in THIS climate. However, my boyfriend lives in Jacksonville, North Carolina and I'm going to visit him here shortly. I'm afraid my skin is going to freak out from the extra moisture! I typically wear MMU so hopefully it does ok in the humidity. I'm just wondering if I should step back on some of my moisturizers or something once I get there so I don't break out. Suggestions, anyone?
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
No suggestions makeupfiend. But please share your current routine. I live in a bone dry climate too and have am nowhere near having my skincare routine down to a science. Also what skin type do you have? TIA
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!

I would suggest applying your products very lightly as if products are applied heavily they can tend to gum up on the face in humid conditions.

Also, you may already know this but when it is very humid it can tend to be hazy out which may look overcast, but these are the times to be extremely careful with sunscreen as it is much easier to burn under those conditions, I find.

Have a great trip! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy, you are sooo right about the sun here on the East Coast, you will fry on cloudy days!
I also agree with you on going lighter on moisturizer, at least till you know what you can expect. See you over at IE Wink !

makeupfiend, if you don't sweat heavily, you will probably be alright with your MMU. I've found it works better for me in his heat than anything I EVER tried before and I sweat horribly. Embarassed I know you will have fun, hope you get to the beach, they are beautiful in Carolina! Cool
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Debbie!

I am not following you... it just appears that way... Laughing

Have a great weekend!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I think it depends on your skin type too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
On particularly humid days, I won't use a moisturizer at night. I just cleanse and apply my spot treatment products. When the humidity lasts for several days, I'll swap cleaners from Cetaphil to Neutrogena's Foaming Anti-Acne Wash. Even though I don't get many break-outs, the acne wash seems to regulate my oil production for a few days.

Depending on your skin type, you might just need an oil blotting paper during the day. I've been meaning to try MAC's.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. TheresaL, I will post my routine here in a bit when I get a break from work! My skin type is normal/verging on oily by the end of the day and very prone to breakouts so if you have a similar type, maybe I can help a little!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:20 am      Reply with quote
makeupfiend my skin type is very much like yours. Maybe a little more towards oily than normal but very sensitive. I look forward to your post!!!!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:20 am      Reply with quote
All I can say is, you definitely want to load up on the blotting papers!! In really humid climates, I go through like a pack a week, LOL!! (I def. recommend the ones sold at chidoriyaworld.com--- they are lifesavers!!) A good translucent blotting powder will work wonders, too. If I've been out in the heat and humidity and am verging on a makeup meltdown, I first blot, then I lightly mist my face with Dr. H's toner (helps with oil and breakouts, but doesn't disturb my make up), and then after that dries I dust with Jurlique's Rose Dust and I'll be almost good as new! Also, if you are like me and like to wear a lot of eye make up, an eye base like the one Urban Decay sells will help a lot too.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are used to a dry climate and then go into some steep humidity is that your anti-perspirant might not work as well as you're used to. I always arm myself with Bath and Body Works' Anti-Bacterial towelettes in Country Apple (kills any germs that are lurking in your armpits and smells great), and a mini bottle of paper powder to help keep things dry...

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, great tips, Manslayerliz! I've been to Texas, so if those work for you, then those are some tried and true face savers!

Ok, so TheresaL, here's what's worked for me as far as skin care.

The following is a Colorado native's skincare regime as it pertains to normal to oily skin.

A.M.
Mychelle cranberry cleanser with Clarisonic Skin Care Brush
Followed by Jason's Vital C Toner
Prep skin for foundation with Bare Escentuals Skin Revver Upper and eyelids for shadow with Urban Decay Eye Shadow Primer
I have been using Jane Iredale Amazing Base but I just bought True Cosmetics pressed base. Today is the first day I've worn True and it looks ALOT better than JI. It doesn't seem to be nearly as water resistant as Jane Iredale which is unfortunate, but I think I'll wear True on the average days and maybe use Jane on occassions where I need a little more makeup durability.

P.M.
Remove makeup with Clean & Clear makeup remover for sensitive skin.
Follow with toner
Treat with one of these two; Mychelle Clear Skin Serum or DDF 10% glycolic oil control gel
Moisturize with Lamas Botanicals Vital C Complex or Origins A Perfect World Antioxidant
I usually team the DDF with the Lamas because the DDF is a stronger treatment and the Lamas more moisturizing and alternate each evening between the 2 treatments and moisturizers.

At least 2x a week, I use a purifying mask like Kiss My Face Obsessively Organic Pore Shrink or sometimes more often if I see something evil brewing below the skin's surface. I'm also a big fan of PSF's Pumpkin Peel - I think it is as effective as Juice Beauty's Green Apple peel, but less harsh.

In any case, my skin is ALOT clearer and smoother than it used to be and any breakouts that DO happen are very small and go away very quickly. Of course, I'm still experimenting just for fun but those are the staples products that have served me well.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Oops, I meant to say "baby powder" not "paper powder," LOL! I'm glad you liked my tips tho--- they've held up for me in Japan and Singapore (two of the most humid places on earth, I'm convinced), so I think they'll hold up for you anywhere in the US.^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks makeupfiend! I will have to take a look at some of the products that you have mentioned.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
and once you've applied you're daily sunscreen/make-up stick your face in front of the aircon for 5 mins to dry your skin out and let it all absorb. It's an essential step.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:36 am      Reply with quote
Molly wrote:
and once you've applied you're daily sunscreen/make-up stick your face in front of the aircon for 5 mins to dry your skin out and let it all absorb. It's an essential step.

don't laugh -- this is a serious question. if you don't have aircon, can sticking your head in the fridge work as well? i never knew about this step and there are days here when my face is glistening with sweat as i apply my makeup and it never seems to 'set.' but we don't have aircon.... ooh -- perhaps a blowdryer on cold blast???
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi la vie en rose, Yes you can stick your head/face in the fridge or freezer but only for a minute-you don't want to get freezer burn, LOL. Whe I was a kid before we had central A/C I used the fridge/freezer trick. Living in Tx. on the Gulf Coast, hot and humid is our middle name, so ac is mandatory. I also use blotting papers and I use mineral makeup, I seem to sweat less with it as my foundation. Good luck.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:18 am      Reply with quote
thank you, nomoreneckpain! i'm in paris and a/c seems to be few and far between here, but the humidity is a revelation. this year spring lasted about three days and went directly to summer! i'm so hoping it won't be another bad one like in 2003. our freezer is tiny, barely enough room for ice cubes, but think there's enough room to stick my big mug in the top shelf of the fridge. Laughing
makeupfiend
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Yup so I'm back from my trip to NC, and after about 2 days there in the humidity, sure enough my skin started to panic. It's taken 3 days back here in the dry air for my skin to work through its issues. UG! If I move out there, I'm going to have to redesign my skin care regime. I wish I knew what your skin would need less of in humidity other than moisture obviously!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |