Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
lip balm issues
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
julliams
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Why is it that every time I use a lip balm or lip conditioner, my lips get really dry and I need to use it continually? Does anyone else have this problem?

Juliette
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
Take a look at the ingredients in the lip balm that you are using... Some will dry out your lips as they have harsh ingredients like alcohol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:55 am      Reply with quote
I had exactly the same problem. In fact I would hate to add up the amount I have spent on useless lip balms. That is, until I found Valmont Lip Repair. Your lips will never feel dry again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:57 am      Reply with quote
Most balms are made with petroleum &/or mineral oils. These actually do dry you out. You need to find a lip balm without these items in it.
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:
Most balms are made with petroleum &/or mineral oils. These actually do dry you out. You need to find a lip balm without these items in it.

I second this, these are the worst. Look for one's with butters such as shea, cocoa and coconut etc, oils such as jojoba, avocado etc and some sort of beeswax since these are apparently the best ingredients for moisturising and protecting lips... Wink
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:51 am      Reply with quote
The best lipbalm EVER is the Everon stick from Weleda. No mineral oil, only natural ingredients. I am hooked, and since I'm using this, I am no longer so addicted to lipbalm that I panic when I don't have one at hand. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I actually read in a health magazine a couple of years ago that makers of most lip balms add drying ingredients to their products purposely, so that people will apply it more often and then subsequently would have to re-purchase sooner! I have yet to find a lip balm that lasts any significant length of time, even the seemingly "good" ones with oils or butters.
I do however agree with bushy on the Valmont lip repair, this is a product that really works! Very Happy

Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:58 am      Reply with quote
Ive just bought a really good lipsalve, its called Lypsyl and made by Novartis. Ingredients:
Petrolatum
Paraffin
Glyceryl Stearate
Paraffinum Liquidum
Polysorbate 65
Aqua
Zinc Oxide
Aroma
Tocopheryl Acetate
Aloe Barbadensis
Methylparaben
Propylparaben
Sodium Saccharin.

Its so good. Howevr i wouldnt buy if if you have ethical issues about animal testing as Novartis has a bad reputation about that.
[/list]
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
i thought the main use of lip balm is to nourish and moisturize your lips instead of using harsh ingredients that dry out your lips. Thats so ironic.
Maybe it's because when you wear lip balm your lips become dependant on that so if your not wearing anything on your lips, then they will become dry
angelicfruitcake

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
One of my friends actually became physcially addicted to a lipbalm, is this what you mean? She had to go to the doctor and get some serious cream.
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
When I used lip balms with petroleum products (petrolatum, etc.) I had similar problems. I'd apply it, and my lips would feel tight, dry, and sort of hot several hours later, so I'd apply again and so on. Several years ago, I switched to non-petroleum based products and have never experienced that sensation since. Right now I use both Weleda's Everon and Dr. Hauschka's lip care stick and love them both.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
angelicfruitcake wrote:
Ive just bought a really good lipsalve, its called Lypsyl and made by Novartis. Ingredients:
Petrolatum
Paraffin
Glyceryl Stearate
Paraffinum Liquidum
Polysorbate 65
Aqua
Zinc Oxide
Aroma
Tocopheryl Acetate
Aloe Barbadensis
Methylparaben
Propylparaben
Sodium Saccharin.

Its so good. Howevr i wouldnt buy if if you have ethical issues about animal testing as Novartis has a bad reputation about that.
[/list]

Hi - and welcome to the forum. Smile

I am very curious as to what it is about this balm you like so much?

The only redeeming ingredients I see are the zinc oxide (for some SPF value), the aloe vera & the Vit E. Everything else for the most part are fillers & preservatives. I'm not trying to come across harsh, maybe I'm missing something. Terribly curious though. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
doh - double posted Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:49 am      Reply with quote
I think Petroleum based products stop your skin renewing itself, so you get into a cycle? My personal favourite beeswaxy type lip balm is by far Ren's one.

Despite the petroleum thing I did use Kiehl's or Vaseline for shine during the day but have recently got a sample at Space NK of the Japanese Yu-Be which is glycerine based but that's quite shiny and lovely to use. Very moisturising. See http://www.yu-be.com

These days, except for occasional Yu-be, I'm not using any lip balm, just putting on a dab of 99% aloe vera on my lips at night - and they have never been softer!
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:07 am      Reply with quote
sportygirl wrote:
I actually read in a health magazine a couple of years ago that makers of most lip balms add drying ingredients to their products purposely, so that people will apply it more often and then subsequently would have to re-purchase sooner!

I have heard this before too. I thought it was just an urban myth - but I wouldn't put it past cosmetic companies to do such things.

I personally started using Burt's Bees HONEY lip balm (not the plain one) and haven't used anything since. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:14 am      Reply with quote
i love kp night lip balm very much. i've used up more than 10 bottles. but it stop manufacturing. i'm now using skinceuticals lip repair. its ok. i need to find somethings good for lips.

i've tried burt's bees beeswax lip balm. but nothing special. honeybees is good??!! so let me try next time.
fishzebby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
I heard we need to change different lip balm after a certain period of time of usage because your lip becomes "resistance"(should I say it that way?) towards that lip balm. I have used lamer, it works at the beginning, after awhile, it doesn't seem to moisturize anymore...so, I switched to other brands, like lancome,etc... Now, I stopped using it except in the morning, I use kiehl's spf15 and don't use anything at nite. It has been good to my lip. I felt less chapping...
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:02 am      Reply with quote
I kept reading about how great Rosebud Salve was as a lip balm/gloss and after I got it, my lips were dried out in less than 10 minutes! It just doesn't work for me.

Another thing I tried, because the ingredients looked so good, was the new Aveeno stuff with SPF. That dried my lips out more than the Rosebud Salve! It has all sorts of great oils in it, but it also has super drying oatmeal. Someone pointed out that's why people take oatmeal baths when they have chicken pox. Duh!
wildflower
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:09 pm      Reply with quote
Nemi wrote:
The best lipbalm EVER is the Everon stick from Weleda. No mineral oil, only natural ingredients. I am hooked, and since I'm using this, I am no longer so addicted to lipbalm that I panic when I don't have one at hand. Very Happy

I agree with Nemi. This is my favourite lip balm. It leaves my lips soft and nourished without that heavy "cakey" feeling some balms leave.
hopemelody
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:54 am      Reply with quote
I am using Palmer's cocoa butter. it works wonders,very moistrizing.
amycc
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:45 am      Reply with quote
I feel exactly the same way! So I only use lip balm in the winter, when my lip is dry anyway.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:56 am      Reply with quote
i am absolutely addicted to lip balm. i don't know if it's the ingredients so much as habit for me, and i mainly use ones made from beeswax that people make homemake on ebay or any natural online store. my favorite everyday indoor lip balm right now happens to be from http://www.ebeehoney.com/lipbalm.html (they sent me samples of the lip balm when i bought their honey--ladies, i recommend raw honey in your diet as it's good for your skin!).

i have a bunch of them, some tinted, then the spf ones for when i am outside.....the list is endless.

anyone know a really good lip balm with mineral spfs, preferably zinc oxide? i am using elizabeth arden's and have noticed the active ingredients are all chemical.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |